This Vegan Veggie Sandwich is a scrumptious, customizable, vegan sandwich on multigrain bread with hummus, avocado, and fresh vegetables. This carnivore-approved recipe is proof that you can rock a vegetarian sandwich as much as any other.
The vegan veggie sandwich
Skip the meat and make this scrumptious, vegan veggie sandwich. I love to start with multigrain bread and stack up the produce. Since we're using everyday veggies for this sandwich, you don't have to spend a fortune on a plant-based meal and you can cross-utilize the ingredients with so many other meals. What also makes it the best vegetarian sandwich is that it's packed with so much flavor and texture, even in the absence of meat and dairy.
What I love about these vegan sandwiches
Y'all know I'm a sometimes vegan which means sometimes I eat vegan foods. When I want to make healthy sandwiches for us, this is my go to recipe (which is hardly a recipe lol). But, what I love is that there's NO dairy and NO animal products, just like my Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich. Both are naturally vegan and use very minimally processed ingredients, if any.
What do you put on a vegan sandwich?
- Bread - A nutritious, whole grain bread should be the foundation of any amazing vegan sandwich. If you like a white sandwich bread, check out my super popular French Bread recipe.
- Spread - Classic Hummus is the perfect spread for vegan sandwiches (roasted red pepper hummus too!). This Avocado Ranch Dressing is great for those non-vegan vegetarian sandwiches.
- Produce - Fresh, everyday, veggies like and fruit. Yep, I said fruit. Visit the recipe below to see the fruit I love to use on vegan sandwiches.
- Toppings - my favorite part of any veggie sandwich are the endless topping options. Nuts and seeds, dried seasonings, fresh herbs, various oils and vinegar, and the list goes on. Toppings can add nutritional value, flavor, and texture to your veggie sandwich. They can really make a sandwich come to life!
What's on my vegan vegetarian sandwich
Grab the full, printable recipe below
- sliced bread - multigrain bread
- hummus - instead of mayo and the perfect vegan spread
- lettuce - any variety works
- microgreens or sprouts - optional, but they pack in the nutrition
- red bell pepper - this is great when it's not tomato season (which is most of the year)
- carrots - these add so much texture and flavor to veggie sandwiches
- red onion - any kind of onion will work (I just love red onion)
- sliced apple - yes, you heard right ... these are everything on a veg sandwich
- cucumber - who doesn't love sliced cucumber on a sando?
- pepitas - also called pumpkin seeds (sunflower seeds work great too!)
- extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper - the icing on the cake (sandwich)
Vegan lunch recipes we love
The Vegan Veggie Sandwich Even Meat Eaters Love
- 2 slices Whole Grain Bread
- 2 Tbsp Hummus
- 2-4 leaves Romaine Lettuce
- 1/4 cup Microgreens
- 1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Carrots, shredded
- 4-6 slivers Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Apple, thinly sliced
- 4-6 slices Cucumber, or homemade pickles
- 1/4 Avocado, sliced
- 2 tsp Pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to drizzle
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Spread HUMMUS evenly over bread slices.
- Layer all ingredients, starting with ROMAINE LETTUCE on bottom; work your way down the list, stacking ingredients up.
- Drizzle a little EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL over ingredients and sprinkle SALT and PEPPER on veggies. Devour!
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.