Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a 30-minute, southwest soup made with fresh veggies, frozen corn, canned tomatoes, canned black beans, rotisserie chicken, and seasonings. It’s mildly spiced and garnished with cilantro, lime, and baked tortilla crisps. This soup is so worth the tiny effort it takes to make it!
How do you make Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup with Rotisserie Chicken?
1) Start with a soup pot on medium-high heat, heat the oil, and then saute the aromatics, such as garlic, onion, and bell peppers.
2) Add deglazing liquid, such as a dry sherry, to release those yummy brown bits from the bottom of the pan (so much flavor there).
3) Add remaining ingredients, such as canned tomatoes, canned beans, frozen corn, and seasonings.
4) Bring all of that to a boil, do a short simmer, add in the rotisserie chicken, add in cornmeal thickener (optional).
5) While soup is simmering, you can make crispy tortilla strips, or you can use tortilla chips for garnish.
How do you make crispy tortilla strips?
1. Preheat oven to 400° and slice corn tortillas into thin strips.
2. Toss strips in olive oil, a little chili powder, and salt.
3. Place on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes (toss them around after 5 minutes)
4. Cool the strips (and try to not eat them all before serving)
Guys, these strips, they take Chicken Tortilla Soup to the next level…you’ll crave them for dayyyyys!
How do I make chicken tortilla soup thicker?
If you’ve done any homework for this recipe, you’ve probably stumbled across Pioneer Woman Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
When she makes Chicken Tortilla Soup, she mixes cornmeal with water to form a paste, and adds it to the soup while it’s simmering.
I borrowed that technique for my recipe and it was spot on! I like Chicken Tortilla Soup brothy, but I also want that distinct cornmeal flavor and slight thickening effect.
If you want yours thicker, just add more of the cornmeal/water paste.
Want more easy, healthy soup recipes to add to your soup collection?
- Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Fall Apart Chicken Vegetable Crockpot Soup
- 10-Minute Pesto Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Ingredients I use for Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh garlic
- red bell pepper
- cooking sherry or dry white wine
- reduced-sodium chicken broth
- canned diced tomatoes
- canned black beans
- frozen corn
- seasonings (crushed red pepper, cumin, salt, pepper)
- (optional) cornmeal and water
- rotisserie chicken
- garnish (cilantro, lime, cheese)
Tools I use to make this recipe:
- chef knife and cutting board
- 4 quart soup pot
- small baking sheet (for tortilla strips)
- small mixing bowl (for cornmeal paste)
- 4 quart storage container
Know what else I love about this easy Chicken Tortilla Soup?
~ turns leftover rotisserie chicken into an amazing, healthy, entree
~ naturally gluten free and dairy free
~ goes from stove to table in 30 minutes, and always tastes even better the next day
~ makes the perfect lunch for a busy work day
~ healthy, nutritious, and scrumptious…trust me, your people will devour this one!
Guys, this recipe dates back to my earliest blogging days in 2014. It’s a timeless, classic…meant to be made again and again, and always happily devoured.
Enjoy the recipe!