This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These roasted chickpeas are fully cooked chickpeas tossed in olive oil and dried spices, baked to crispy perfection. They make the best salad toppers and snacks for all ages!
You can make the classic style baked chickpeas with a little olive oil and salt, or make herb roasted chickpeas recipe by adding a few dried seasonings for a zesty flavor. However you flavor them, roasting chickpeas is a great way to take healthy snacking into your own hands just like my crispy kale chips.
Why we love this recipe
- nutrition - ½ cup of canned, reduced-sodium, chickpeas or garbanzos gets you 5 grams of dietary fiber and 5 grams of protein. I've seen some cans have as much as 6 grams of fiber and protein per ½ cup. That's awesome!
- easy to make - Roasting chickpeas requires minimal effort. Even kids can help make them, especially the decorating part!
- healthy snack option - Naturally vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free with very little oil.
- budget-friendly - especially if you cook beans from scratch.
- convenient - roasting chickpeas is approachable for any cooking level.
- Uses pantry items - A stocked pantry probably has all 5 ingredients needed to make this recipe.
You'll be so happy to serve these to your family knowing they're not made in a factory with too much salt, sugar, or other processed ingredients. You make them and you control the ingredients = you win!
What you'll need
Ingredient amounts are included in the recipe card below.
- cooked chickpeas - use canned chickpeas or pressure cooked chickpeas.
- olive oil - or preferred cooking oil.
- dried dill weed and dried garlic granules - my personal favorite combination, but I listed more ideas in the recipe card.
- sea salt - you may not need this depending on the sodium content of your cooked chickpeas.
How to roast chickpeas
Recipe instructions are included in the recipe below.
Preheat oven or toasted oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and drain a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) using a colander or strainer.
Transfer chickpeas to a baking sheet pan and dry to remove all surface moisture using a paper towel or flour sack towel. Or, if you have time, you can air dry them instead.p
Toss chickpeas in oil and dried seasonings.
Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on a baking sheet pan.
Bake 30-45 minutes until crispy, shaking the pan every 15 minutes.
Allow to cool and enjoy!
How to use baked chickpeas
- pack into lunches (kids love them too!)
- toss into green salads
- add to a Buddha bowl
- enjoy as a healthy snack on the go
- I don't recommend parchment paper for this recipe because it doesn't allow moisture to escape.
- Longer oven time equals crunchy chickpeas, but they need to be rotated to prevent overcooking.
When baked to maximum crispiness with all moisture removed, I store roasted chickpeas in a mason jar at room temperature up to 1 week.
I do not recommend refrigerating or freezing roasted chickpeas because they won't stay crispy.
Roasted chickpea variations
- plain olive oil and a touch of salt
- smoked paprika and garlic granules
- cinnamon sugar
- Italian seasoning
- curry powder and coconut oil
- chili powder and/or cayenne pepper
- chili lime seasoning or Tajin seasoning
More chickpea recipes
- Kale Chickpea Soup
- Vegan Thai Coconut Vegetable Curry
- Turmeric Chickpeas
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Authentic Hummus Recipe
Crispy Oven Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 ½ cups Cooked Chickpeas or 1 (15 ounce can) drained
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Toppings see variations in recipe footnotes
- pinch Sea Salt
- 9-inch fine mesh strainer to drain the chickpeas
- paper towels or flour sack towel to dry the chickpeas
- oven or toaster oven
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Drain, rinse, and towel-dry the CHICKPEAS to remove all surface moisture.
- In a bowl, gently toss together CHICKPEAS, OIL, any TOPPINGS (your choice), and SALT.Note: See topping variations in recipe footnotes
- Spread the chickpeas in single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake 30-45 minutes until crispy and fully dried, shaking the pan to turn them every 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week. Do not refrigerate or freeze baked chickpeas (they won't stay crispy).
Click stars to vote. Please visit 'Comments' below for reviews.