This 5-ingredient Chickpea Salad Sandwich is ready in 10 minutes. Mashed chickpeas, vegan mayo, dijon, salt, and pepper make the perfect, vegan egg salad sandwich or vegan chicken salad sandwich. Chickpea salad is spreadable, so it’s also perfect on crackers and wraps!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This recipe dates back to my first year of food blogging in 2014. Wow!…and it’s still my favorite last-minute lunch!
It’s one can of chickpeas, a little mayo, dijon, salt, and pepper…all smashed together into a spreadable chickpea salad.
Need another vegan sandwich idea?
Check out my Vegan Veggie Sandwich Even Meat Eaters Love is crazy popular and delicious ANY season of the year!
How to serve smashed chickpea salad
- on sandwiches as a substitute for egg salad, chicken salad, or tuna salad
- as a spread on crackers or toast
- rolled into a wrap
- spread on crackers
- as a dip for vegetables
I can’t tell you how many times I have busted out this very combination at the very last minute and found myself avoiding fast food, packaged junk food, or packaged health food.
While we’re on the subject of timing, this recipe comes together in 5-minutes, making it the fastest protein salad recipe I have in my collection.
I’ve seen chickpea salad referred to as vegan egg salad and vegan chicken salad. I’m always game for a meatless substitute that’s made with real food…such as chickpeas.
Why are canned chickpeas such a great alternative to eggs…or chicken?
- no animal products
- good source of protein and fiber
- always ready to eat…and delicious
- great texture
- easy to mash, mix, and eat…and so versatile
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Ingredients
- can of reduced-sodium chickpeas
- vegan mayonnaise (or real mayo if you prefer)
- Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
Choose from any of these add-ins for your chickpea salad…or enjoy it as it is!
- diced celery
- diced onions
- diced cucumber
- pepitas/pumpkin seeds (or your favorite nuts or seeds)
- garlic powder
How to make chickpea salad sandwiches in 5 minutes
Step 1: Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.
Step 2: Combine chickpeas, vegan mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, kosher salt, and black pepper in mixing bowl and mash until well-combined.
Step 3: Serve immediately on a sandwich or wrap with condiments, or as a spread for crackers or vegetables.
* See full recipe below
Grab these other healthy recipes made with canned chickpeas!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 15oz can Reduced-Sodium Chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise or real mayo
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine CHICKPEAS, MAYO, DIJON, SALT, and PEPPER.
- Use a potato masher to mash the chickpeas with the other ingredients until combined and spreadable.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.