Mashed Vegan Chickpea Salad is the easiest plant-based lunch you'll ever make with 5 ingredients in 5 minutes! It's the perfect substitute for egg salad or chicken salad. Chickpea salad is spreadable for sandwiches, wraps, veggies, and crackers.
This recipe dates back to my first year of food blogging in 2014. Wow! It's still my favorite last-minute lunch! It's the easiest way I know how to convert cooked chickpeas and a few pantry ingredients into a spreadable salad that literally keeps me from going hangry
Vegan Chickpea Salad Ingredients
How to make chickpea salad
* See full recipe below
Step 1: Drain and rinse chickpeas.
Step 2: Combine chickpeas, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, kosher salt, and black pepper in mixing bowl and mash until well-combined.
Step 3: Serve on a sandwich or wrap with condiments, or as a spread for crackers or vegetables.
How to serve vegan chickpea salad
- on sandwiches as a substitute for egg salad, chicken salad, or tuna salad
- as a spread on crackers or toast
- rolled into a wrap
- spread on crackers
- as a dip for vegetables
I can't tell you how many times I have busted out this very combination at the very last minute and found myself avoiding fast food, packaged junk food, or packaged health food.
While we're on the subject of timing, this recipe comes together in 5-minutes, making it the fastest protein salad recipe I have in my collection.
I've seen chickpea salad referred to as vegan egg salad and vegan chicken salad. I'm always game for a meatless substitute that's made with real food...such as chickpeas.
Mashed Chickpea Sandwich Add-Ins
- diced celery
- diced onions
- diced cucumber
- pepitas (or your favorite nuts or seeds)
- garlic powder
What's so great about chickpeas?
- naturally vegan
- great source of protein and fiber
- can be used in countless ways
Need another meatless sandwich idea?
Check out my Vegan Veggie Sandwich Even Meat Eaters Love is crazy popular and delicious ANY season of the year!
More chickpea recipes
Mashed Chickpea Salad
- 1 15oz can Reduced-Sodium Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine CHICKPEAS, MAYO, DIJON, SALT, and PEPPER.
- Use a potato masher to mash the chickpeas with the other ingredients until combined and spreadable.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.