This chickpea salad sandwich is the perfect, last-minute lunch. 5 ingredients and 5 minutes is all it takes for this simple, healthy sandwich!
Why you'll love this recipe
Get ready for the easiest plant-based lunch you'll ever make. 5 ingredients in 5 minutes is all you need to make the perfect substitute for egg salad or chicken salad. It's spreadable, so it's great for sandwiches, wraps, veggies, and crackers.
I started making this sandwich long before I built this blog. Over a decade later, it's still my favorite last-minute lunch! It's the easiest way I know how to convert chickpeas and a few pantry ingredients into a spreadable salad that literally saves the day.
During summer, I recommend using this chickpea spread on my veggie sandwich with a stack of fresh vegetables. YUM!
- cooked chickpeas - Use canned chickpeas or Instant Pot chickpeas
- mayonnaise - Use your favorite plant-based mayo or regular mayo.
- Dijon - This adds the perfect hint of spice.
- sea salt - If your chickpeas are salted, you may not need to add any salt.
- pepper - I always recommend freshly cracked black pepper.
How to make chickpea salad
* See full recipe below
Step 1: Drain and rinse chickpeas.
Step 2: Combine chickpeas, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, kosher salt, and black pepper in mixing bowl and mash until well-combined.
Step 3: Serve on a sandwich or wrap with condiments, or as a spread for crackers or vegetables.
Other ways to enjoy mashed chickpea salad
- on sandwiches as a substitute for egg salad, chicken salad, or tuna salad
- as a spread on crackers or toast
- in a veggie wrap
- as a dip for vegetables
I can't tell you how many times I have busted out this very combination at the very last minute and found myself avoiding fast food, packaged junk food, or packaged health food.
While we're on the subject of timing, this recipe comes together in 5-minutes, making it the fastest protein salad recipe I have in my collection.
I've seen chickpea salad referred to as vegan egg salad and vegan chicken salad. I'm always game for a meatless substitute that's made with real food like chickpeas.
- diced celery
- diced onions
- diced cucumber
- pepitas (or your favorite nuts or seeds)
- garlic powder
What's so great about chickpeas?
- naturally vegan
- great source of protein and fiber
- can be used in countless ways
More chickpea recipes
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 ½ cups Cooked Chickpeas, or 1 (15 ounce can) drained
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon Sea Salt
- Black Pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine CHICKPEAS, MAYO, DIJON, SALT, and PEPPER.
- Use a potato masher to mash the chickpeas with the other ingredients until combined and spreadable.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.