Herb Roasted Turkey Breast is a bone-in turkey breast half, brushed with herbed butter and olive oil, and baked to perfection. This juicy number with slightly crispy skin is perfectly sized for smaller meals. Serve roast turkey breast for holiday meals or weeknight dinner!
Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
Do you love roast turkey for the holidays, but don’t love cooking the whole bird?
Every year, we skip the big turkey and make a Kosher roast turkey breast half.
It’s so convenient, hassle-free, and mostly hands-free!
A 2.5 lb turkey breast easily accommodates two to three people and usually yields a few leftovers.
How to cook a turkey breast in the oven
Step 1: Prepare turkey breast half by thawing, rinsing, and patting the surface dry with paper towels.
Step 2: Heat butter, olive oil, and herbs together and brush over and under turkey skin.
Step 4: Reduce heat to 325° and bake until internal temperature next to bone reaches 165°F, about 20 minutes.
Step 5: Switch oven to broiler setting for a few minutes for more crispness.
How long to cook a turkey breast per pound
Turkey breast (bone-in) takes about 20 minutes per pound at an average temperature of 350°F to reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
However, these numbers will vary based on actual oven temperature and actual turkey breast size.
The turkey must register an internal temperature of 165°F before serving.
In this recipe, I’m using a 2.5 lb breast. It takes 40-50 minutes of active baking time to reach that temperature.
The 20-minute per lb suggestion is an approximation, so ALWAYS (pretty please) use a meat thermometer to decide when the turkey breast is fully cooked.
Do I put water in the bottom of a roaster for turkey?
Putting water in the bottom of a roaster will add moisture to a dry heat environment.
However, I read over on BHG, that because this steams the turkey, it can steam-burn the turkey.
So, skip the steaming and let the turkey naturally create its own juices.
I’m cool with that. I’ve done both methods, and neither method leaves me wishing I had used the alternate.
I’ve found it to be delicious and moist either way!
Herb Roasted Turkey Breast Ingredients
- turkey breast half (skin on, bone-in)
- garlic cloves
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh rosemary
- fresh sage
- fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and pepper
Tools needed for this recipe:
- small saucepan
- baking sheet/pan (minimum 1″ deep)
- conventional oven or countertop oven
- meat thermometer
Holiday sides to serve with roast turkey breast
In the mood for juicy chicken legs? Check out this super easy recipe!
Looking to roast a whole turkey? My friend Claire over at Sprinkles and Sprouts has you covered with this easy recipe!
Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
- 2.5 lb Bone-In Skin-On Turkey Breast Half thawed, rinsed, patted dry with paper towels
- 2 Tbsp Butter softened, divided
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh Rosemary finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh Sage finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh Thyme finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small saucepan, melt BUTTER and OLIVE OIL; add GARLIC, HERBS, SALT, and PEPPER; heat a few minutes until fragrant.
- Carefully lift skin of TURKEY BREAST; brush half of the butter mixture over flesh (under skin).
- Brush remaining BUTTER/OIL mixture over entire, outer surface of turkey breast (over skin).
- Set turkey breast in a baking pan (minimum 1" deep), uncovered; bake 20 minutes.
- Then reduce heat to 325°F; rotate turkey breast (if needed for even heating/browning); bake an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Remove turkey and insert meat thermometer (alongside bone) to confirm internal temperature of 165°F.
- If needed, return the turkey to oven and bake in 5-minute intervals to reach 165°F internal temperature.
- Carefully remove the turkey breast from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- PRO TIP: For browner, crispier skin once the turkey is cooked, switch oven to ‘broiler' mode and place turkey at least 6” from heat source until desired browning occurs (a few minutes).