Stroganoff is all about the sauce, baby! Here’s a light-style recipe where I substitute the heaviest ingredient without compromising the flavor and texture. Go ahead, grab this 30 minute recipe for Lightened Up Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff.
Lightened Up Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff
If you’ve never made a stroganoff from scratch, never fear. This recipe will have you up and running in no time, and you only dirty up one skillet and one sauce pot for it.
This stroganoff is creamy, but it’s not loaded with cream. In fact, I use 1% milk and a concentrated vegetable base.
This is seriously one of my favorite kitchen staples.
Packaged broth takes up too much space, but this vegetable base stores easily and I only make the exact amount I need.
And by make, I mean add base to water and stir. That’s it!
A vegetarian stroganoff sauce that’s gluten free too?
Yup, dreams really do come true! Of course you’ll use your favorite gluten free pasta, but for the sauce, I use garbanzo bean flour (aka chickpea flour) in place of all-purpose flour (you know, as a thickener)…and it just plain rocks.
I do find that I need to add more garbanzo flour than the usual ratio for a roux [this is reflected in the recipe].
So, how do you make mushroom stroganoff sauce from scratch?
This is my elevator conversation version, so be sure to grab the full recipe below!
- cook your favorite pasta noodles
- melt butter and oil together
- sauté shallot, garlic, and mushrooms
- add flour (I’m using chickpea flour b/c it’s gluten free)
- add liquids (I’m using 1% milk for this lighter version)
- heat and stir until creamy
- add salt and pepper
- serve over pasta
That’s it! Of course, it’s more detailed in the actual recipe below, but you get the picture…and hopefully you’re inspired to try this one.
If you think that looks good, try it with truffle oil!
This Napa Valley Truffle Infused Oil Blend takes any meal to another level!
This is not a sponsored post, but I am giving you an affiliate link in case you want your own bottle.
Want the vegan version of this stroganoff sauce (that will equally knock your socks off)?
Oh yes you do…even if you’re not vegan!
Just substitute your favorite dairy-free milk for the milk in this recipe (I prefer unsweetened almond milk). Btw, have you seen my recipe for I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Cream of Mushroom Soup?
It’s so good, I can never wait until soup season for this one!
Both are quickly becoming popular one-pan recipes that keep meatless Monday meals anything but boring.
Ingredients you will need for Lightened Up Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff:
- olive oil
- shallot (or onion)
- flour (I use garbanzo/chickpea flour)
- white wine (or dry sherry)
- 1% milk
- vegetable broth (I use this vegetable base)
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools I use for this recipe:
- 3.5 qt saucepan (boil pasta)
- stainless colander (drain pasta)
- chef knife
- cutting board
- Microplane fine grater (grate garlic)
- 12-inch nonstick skillet (make sauce)
- stainless whisk (stir sauce)
* Note: This post has affiliate product links, which means I earn commissions when you purchase using those links (at no extra cost to you). THANK YOU for supporting The Kitchen Girl.
I’m a monthly recipe contributor on Amanda’s Cookin’ recipe site and I originally published this recipe there in Sep 2016.