Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff is a savory vegetarian skillet sauce made with mushrooms, white wine, milk, garlic, and broth that’s simmered and served over pasta noodles. Conquer Meatless Monday with a vegetarian stroganoff recipe that makes perfect leftovers!
Here’s a 30-minute meatless meal that even meat-eaters will devour.
Creamy, dreamy mushroom sauce
If you’ve never made stroganoff from scratch, never fear.
This recipe is super easy to follow and will have you up and running in no time.
This mushroom stroganoff is creamy, but it’s not loaded with cream.
In fact, I use 1% milk and a concentrated vegetable base.
This is seriously one of my favorite kitchen staples.
Packaged broth takes up too much space, but this vegetable base stores easily and I only make the exact amount I need.
And by make, I mean add base to water and stir. That’s it!
How to make mushroom stroganoff
Step 1. Cook your favorite pasta noodles
Step 2. Heat olive oil in a skillet; sauté shallot, garlic, and mushrooms
Step 3. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir until it gets absorbed (and appears dry)
Step 4. Stir in white wine to deglaze the pan, then add milk and broth; bring just to a gentle boil; reduce heat to med-low and simmer a few minutes until thickened, stirring as needed.
Step 5. Season with salt and pepper, and serve over pasta.
That’s it! Of course, it’s more detailed in the actual recipe below, but you get the picture…and hopefully, you’re inspired to try this one.
If you think that looks good, try it with truffle oil!
This Napa Valley Truffle Infused Oil Blend takes any meal to another level!
This is not a sponsored post, but I am giving you an affiliate link in case you want your own bottle.
Want the vegan version of this mushroom stroganoff?
Just substitute your favorite dairy-free milk for the milk in this recipe (I prefer unsweetened almond milk).
Btw, have you seen my recipe for I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Cream of Mushroom Soup?
It’s so good, I can never wait until soup season for this one!
Mushroom Stroganoff Ingredients
- extra virgin olive oil
- shallot (or onion)
- all-purpose flour (or chickpea flour for gluten-free option)
- white wine (or dry sherry)
- 1% milk
- vegetable broth (I use this vegetable base)
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
Recommended kitchen tools
- 3.5 qt saucepan (boil pasta)
- stainless colander (drain pasta)
- chef knife
- cutting board
- Microplane fine grater (grate garlic)
- 12-inch nonstick skillet (make sauce)
- stainless whisk (stir sauce)
Grab these other vegetarian skillet meals
Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff
- 8 ounces Pasta your choice
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large Shallot or 1/2 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic finely grated
- 1 lb. Mushrooms or 8 cups chopped
- 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour for GF, sub 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 2 cup 1% Milk use nut or oat milk for vegan
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup Flat-Leaf Parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Cook PASTA according to package instructions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat OLIVE OIL; add SHALLOT and GARLIC; sauté until slightly tender (about 3 min).
- To the skillet, add MUSHROOMS; sauté until tender and fragrant (about 5 min).
- Add FLOUR; whisk ingredients together and continue heating until veggies absorb it (1-2 min).
- Stir WHITE WINE into mushrooms and heat until bubbling (1-2 min).
- Add MILK; gently whisk until sauce begins to thicken (about 2 min)
- Whisk in VEGETABLE BROTH; bring to gentle boil; reduce heat to simmer; continue whisking as needed until sauce reaches a creamy consistency (3-5 min); add SALT and PEPPER to taste; cover, remove from heat. (Note: if you like a thinner sauce, add milk or water to adjust consistency; serve over cooked pasta noodles.
- Notes: When reheating this sauce, just add water or milk in small amounts until desired consistency is reached.
I originally published Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff on amandascookin.com
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Thai Coconut Soup - 12/01/2019
- Pear Cranberry Apple Crisp - 11/26/2019
- 14 Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes They’ll Love (even if they’re not vegan) - 11/24/2019