Lasagna Soup - the easy way to make homemade lasagna in 30 minutes without the hassle of layering. Zesty, beefy tomato sauce, bow tie pasta, and 3 cheeses will make your family request more before their bowl is empty! Even non-cooks will ROCK lasagna soup on the stove OR in the Instant Pot!
Lasagna made really easy
If you avoid making lasagna because it takes too long, well, that makes two of us. Lasagna soup though...whoah! This hassle-free soup recipe will legit crush your deepest lasagna cravings in about 30 minutes. It's a lot like my Instant Pot Spaghetti recipe with different noodles and traditional lasagna cheese.
Lasagna soup key ingredients
- olive oil - or preferred oil
- ground beef - ground turkey works too
- onion - you can use white, yellow, or red onion
- garlic - use fresh garlic or garlic powder
- diced tomatoes - or crushed tomatoes
- canned tomato sauce - or tomato puree
- tomato paste - this adds depth of flavor and thickness to your sauce
- chicken broth - or beef broth, vegetable broth, or water
- Italian seasoning - or your favorite pasta seasoning blend
- bow tie pasta - or any semolina pasta
- cheese - ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese
- parsley - for garnish
No fancy pants here, just everyday ingredients combined in just the right amounts to make the whole family glad you cooked for them!
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup Instructions
- Sauté the beef, onion, and garlic in the Instant Pot.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the cheese).
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 1 minute on high pressure.
- Then (QPR) Quick Pressure Release the steam for slightly al dente pasta or (NPR) Natural Pressure Release the steam for softer pasta.
- Serve lasagna soup topped with cheese…and devour!
How to make Lasagna Soup On The Stove
- Sauté the beef, onion, and garlic in a soup pot.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the cheese).
- Bring soup to boil for a minute, then add pasta and simmer until pasta is cooked through (about 15 minutes).
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with cheese…and devour!
Lasagna soup recipe tips
- Use any fat percentage of ground beef, but we prefer 90% lean. If you use a fattier beef, you can drain off any excess fat once it has browned.
- Use frozen diced onions and packaged minced garlic to reduce prep time.
- Make lasagna soup vegetarian by simply omitting the meat and using a vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
- Once cooked, the pasta noodles will continue to soak up liquids as the soup cools. Feel free to add more broth to the soup as needed upon reheat.
- Store lasagna soup in an airtight container up to 5 days
Lasagna Soup Ingredient Substitutions
- You can use other pasta in place of bowtie pasta. Just make sure it's thick and hearty (like bowtie) to prevent becoming mushy.
- If you don't have canned tomato ingredients (diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste) which makes up the lasagna sauce, you can substitute a 24oz jar of pasta sauce instead. You will need to add an extra cup of cooking liquid (broth or water) to the current recipe to adjust consistency.
- Use ground turkey in place of ground beef if you're not team beef...or go meatless!
- Substitute beef broth, vegetable broth, or even plain water for the chicken broth...your choice!
Grab these easy Instant Pot dinner recipes
More homemade soups to love
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Minestrone Soup [Instant Pot or Stove]
- Homemade Tomato Soup [Instant Pot or Stove]
- Italian Orzo Sausage Soup [Instant Pot or Stove]
- Thai Coconut Soup
- Homemade Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot White Bean Kale Soup
- Instant Pot Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Vegetable Soup
Lasagna Soup (Instant Pot or Stove)
Lasagna Soup Ingredients (see substitution options in recipe notes above)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb. Ground Beef, or ground turkey
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, finely grated
- 1 15-oz can Diced Tomatoes, keep the juice
- 1 15-oz can Tomato Sauce, or tomato puree
- 3 oz Tomato Paste
- 4 cups Chicken Broth, or beef broth
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 2 cups uncooked Bow Tie Pasta, or lasagna noodles, or pasta shells, etc
Lasagna Soup Toppings
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh Parsley, chopped
Lasagna Soup (Instant Pot Instructions)
- Select "Sauté" on the Instant Pot and heat OLIVE OIL.
- When the display reads "Hot", add GROUND BEEF, ONION, and GARLIC. Sauté until beef is cooked through, stirring as needed. Drain excess fat, if needed.
- Press "Cancel" and stir in DICED TOMATOES (with the juice), TOMATO SAUCE, TOMATO PASTE, BEEF BROTH, ITALIAN SEASONING, SALT, PEPPER, and PASTA NOODLES.*Note: if using lasagna noodles, break them into pieces.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release valve to "Sealing" position. Select "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" and set the Instant Pot on "High" pressure for 1 minute. (Yes, only 1 minute...the pasta will be perfectly cooked in the time the pot takes to pressurize, pressure cook, and depressurize.)
- When pressure cook cycle is done, you have 2 release options:1) For al dente pasta, use quick pressure release (QPR) to release steam.2) For softer pasta, use natural pressure release NPR (allow pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes after cook cycle is done).
- Once all steam has released, open the lid and stir. Continue to serving instructions.
Lasagna Soup (Stove Instructions)
- Heat a 3.5-quart soup pot over medium-high heat; add GROUND BEEF, ONIONS, and GARLIC sautéing until beef is cooked through, stirring as needed.
- Stir in DICED TOMATOES (with the juice), TOMATO SAUCE, TOMATO PASTE, BEEF BROTH, ITALIAN SEASONING, SALT, and PEPPER.
- Turn heat to HIGH and heat until soup starts to boil.
- Turn heat to medium-low, add dry PASTA NOODLES, and simmer until pasta is tender (about 15 min).
Lasagna Soup: Serving and Storage Instructions
- Serve lasagna soup warm, topped with mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley.
- Store lasagna soup in an airtight container up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 90 days in the freezer.
- Note: The pasta noodles will continue to soak up liquids as the soup cools. Add more broth as needed during reheat.
- Substitute ground turkey for ground beef (or go meatless!)
- Substitute cottage cheese, cream cheese, or goat cheese for the ricotta cheese.
- Swap 24 oz pasta sauce for the canned tomato ingredients (you may need to add up to 1 cup of water to reach the proper consistency).
- Swap any thick pasta noodle for bowtie pasta.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.