A creamy French Onion Dip recipe with plain yogurt, a lil mayo, and pantry staples. Greek yogurt adds protein and calcium to this nutritious homemade chip dip. Make-ahead or wait until the last minute, this French onion dip will be devoured at any event!
Guilt-less French Onion Dip
There are sooooo many things to love about this dip recipe!
- Takes 5 minutes to whip this up. 5 MINUTES!
- The Greek yogurt base adds protein and fewer calories than classic sour cream or mayo-based French onion dip.
- You get to skip the added sugar, salt, or MSG found in packaged onion dip or onion soup packets.
- It’s the perfect dip for veggies, chips, bread, and crackers.
- Great for picnics, dinner parties, lunch boxes, tailgating appetizers, and midnight snacks!
French Onion Dip Ingredients
- plain Greek yogurt – I personally love to use nonfat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream or mayo in many classic recipes to increase protein and knock down the fat calories…and cholesterol. You can use whole milk yogurt.
- mayonnaise – This is totally optional but I personally love the flavor and texture when it’s mixed with Greek yogurt.
- dried onion flakes – Skip the onion soup packet (and added salt, sugar, etc) and use dried onions from your pantry.
- garlic powder – you can even use fresh garlic in this recipe. If you do, you’ll want it finely grated.
- Worcestershire sauce – This adds that classic French onion dip flavor. It does contain anchovy paste, so you can substitute soy sauce or pick up this vegan Worcestershire sauce.
- salt – This recipe calls for a very small amount and you can always adjust it to taste.
* See full recipe below
How to make French onion dip [guilt-less version]
1. Add YOGURT, MAYONNAISE, DRIED ONION, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE, and SALT to a mixing bowl.
2. Stir until ingredients are fully incorporated.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
4. Serve chilled (optional) topped with parsley and chives.
What to eat with French onion dip
My favorite guilty pleasure to enjoy with this dip … potato chips, hands down! Ok, maybe not the healthiest choice of dunking tool, but let’s be honest, who doesn’t love scooping creamy French onion dip with a ruffled potato chip? The best part is, this yogurt-based recipe lets me feel like I’m balancing out the naughty and the nice 😂
Is this like a sour cream and onion dip?
This dip is traditionally made with sour cream and I do love it like that. But I really want the added protein and fewer calories I can get from substituting Greek yogurt for the sour cream. Then, I make it even more guilt-less by using nonfat Greek yogurt to slash even more calories and saturated fat. Win-win!
More easy dip recipes
- Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Smoked Salmon Dip
- Classic Hummus Recipe
- Loaded Black Bean Dip
- Herb and Artichoke White Bean Dip
More Greek yogurt recipes
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Fruit Granola Yogurt Breakfast Bowl
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- Avocado Ranch Dressing
French Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups nonfat Greek Yogurt or full fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dried Onion Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- Add YOGURT, MAYONNAISE, DRIED ONION, GARLIC, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE, and SALT to a mixing bowl.
- Stir until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate minimum 5 minutes to allow onions to rehydrate.
Serving and Storage
- Serve French onion dip with potato chips, crackers, vegetables, pita chips, or sliced baguette and (optional) garnish with parsley and chives.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.