How To Make Black Refried Beans - You can make refried black beans in 10 minutes from cooked, whole black beans and a few pantry ingredients.
Make your own refried beans
Raise your hand if you love refried beans! How about black refried beans? Ok, how about refried black beans you can whip up in 10 minutes from a can with a few staple pantry ingredients and a skillet? Yeah, I’m right there with ya! I mean, what’s NOT to love about all of that?!
Refried Beans Recipe Ingredients
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh garlic
- chili powder
- cooked black beans (canned or homemade)
- salt and pepper
How do you make refried beans from whole beans?
Step 1: Sauté olive oil, garlic, cumin, and chili powder together until fragrant:
Step 2. Add black beans.
Step 3. Mash 'em up! Add a little water to adjust consistency, if needed; add salt and pepper; devour!
The great thing is that you can mash them to any texture you like! I tend to like mine half-mashed and half-whole, as you can see here.
Why we love homemade refried beans
- They bring fiber, protein, and iron into your diet...with zero saturated fat.
- Homemade refried beans are super budget-friendly!
- They're so easy to make ... ninja cooking skills not required!
- You can use canned black beans OR homemade black beans. Check out my no-soak, no-crockpot method of How To Cook Dry Beans In Two Hours.
- Some kids will go crazy for refried beans. Serve with tortilla chips and a little sour cream...yummm!
- Great for parties, even at the last minute!
Easy Mexican recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- 5 Minute Mexican Restaurant Style Blender Salsa
- Steak Nachos Supreme
Black Refried Beans Recipe
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans, drained, reserve juice
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper, to taste
- In a skillet, heat OLIVE OIL; add GARLIC, CUMIN, and CHILI POWDER; sauté until fragrant (about 2 min).
- Add BEANS; mash beans with a potato masher until you reach your desired consistency, adding bean juice (or plain water) in small amounts, as needed, stirring frequently.
- Add SALT and PEPPER to taste.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.