Super easy Baked Chicken Thighs recipe with 6 ingredients, 5 min prep and hands-free baking. This hassle free roasted chicken dinner is the best way to cook chicken thighs and is a guaranteed family favorite!
This hands-free baked chicken thigh recipe is hands down the easiest and BEST way to cook chicken thighs. There's no marinating, chopping, or thinking required. So, anyone can win dinner with chicken thighs, even on a moment's notice.
If you like easy chicken recipes, you'll definitely want my Greek Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs for BIG lemon flavor. These Baked Chicken Legs and Southwest Oven Baked Chicken Wings are great for game day and parties!
Ingredients for juicy baked chicken thighs
Roasted chicken thighs require 5 minutes of prep and a few pantry staples. Here's the ingredient list (full recipe amounts are in the printable recipe below):
- bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- garlic powder
Should I rinse chicken before baking?
There's no need to rinse chicken during prep. It's unnecessary and creates more work cleaning areas that inevitably become contaminated with raw chicken. Just get those thighs prepped and let the oven take care of the rest.
More EASY CHICKEN RECIPES from Kitchen Girl
How to bake chicken thighs
Here's how to bake / roast chicken thighs (get the full printable recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 400°F, pat chicken thighs dry, and (optional) rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Place chicken thighs in a baking dish and lightly coat the skin with olive oil, then sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-45 minutes until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reads 165°F.
- Let chicken thighs rest for 5 minutes, transfer to a platter, and serve warm. (optional) garnish with fresh chopped parsley or lemon.
What temperature to cook chicken thighs
Roasted chicken thighs usually call for oven temperatures between 350°F and 425°F. I prefer to roast chicken at 400°F because that's what's used for most roasted vegetables and I like to maximize oven space. Also, it's a good temperature for having bone-in thighs ready in 40 minutes, enough time to make a side dish and a salad.
How long to cook chicken thighs at 400°F
- 30-35 min for smaller chicken thighs (about 3 oz)
- 35-40 min for medium sized chicken thighs (about 5 oz)
- 40-45 min for large chicken thighs (about 8 oz)
Regardless of suggested sizes times, the golden rule is that chicken should always hit 165°F on an instant-read meat thermometer for safe consumption.
How to make chicken thighs crispy
My baked chicken thighs always result in a lightly crispy skin. If you want even crispier chicken thighs, here are 3 options:
- Bake the chicken thighs on a cookie cooling rack placed over a baking pan to catch drippings.
- Bake the chicken on beds of lemon like I do with my Greek Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs.
- After chicken thighs bake, broil them a few minutes until the skin is crispy.
How to cook boneless chicken thighs
Boneless chicken thighs can easily be used for this recipe in half the cooking time of bone-in thighs. Follow the same recipe steps, but bake boneless chicken thighs for 20 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reads 165°F.
Grab these boneless chicken thigh recipes
Chicken Thigh Recipe Tips
CHICKEN PREP TIPS
- If using frozen chicken thighs, thaw completely before roasting chicken to prevent undercooking.
- No need to rinse raw chicken. Rinsing chicken creates unnecessary steps and creates risk of surface contamination which requires cleaning.
- Let chicken thighs sit at room temperature for 20 minutes to promote uniform baking. You can even oil and season the thighs before they sit at room temp if you prefer.
- Use the chicken drippings to make a gravy for mashed potatoes.
CHICKEN ROASTING TIPS
- This baked chicken thigh recipe cooks at 400° which is the same temperature for roasted vegetables like my Roasted Mushrooms.
- Chicken thigh cook time can vary depending on size and the temperature of the chicken before it gets roasted.
- Always use a meat thermometer to confirm 165°F minimum internal temperature for all baked chicken, bone-in or boneless.
CHICKEN SERVING AND STORAGE TIPS
- Before serving, allow baked chicken to rest 5 minutes before cutting. This keeps it moist by preventing juices from escaping too quickly.
- Shred and refrigerate baked chicken thighs as meal prep for other chicken recipes. Grab my recipe for Chicken Fried Rice, One Pot Broccoli Chicken and Rice, or Chicken Shepherd’s Pie.
More EASY DINNER RECIPES from Kitchen Girl
Easy baked chicken recipes
- Greek Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Easy Baked Chicken Leg Drumsticks
- Southwest Oven Baked Chicken Wings
What to serve with baked chicken thighs
- Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad
- Baked Spaghetti Squash
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Simple Homemade Coleslaw
- The BEST Potato Salad
- Garlicky Oven Roasted Mushrooms
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
Juicy Baked Chicken Thighs
- 5 Bone-in Chicken Thighs about 1 lb.
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pat the CHICKEN dry with a paper towel and place in a baking dish, skin side up.
- Drizzle and brush OLIVE OIL over the chicken pieces. Sprinkle SALT, PEPPER, GARLIC POWDER, and PAPRIKA evenly over the surface.
- Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes (35 min for smaller thighs and 45 for larger). Insert an instant-read thermometer to confirm a 165° F minimum internal temperature near the bone.
- Transfer chicken thighs to a serving platter and allow a 5-minute rest before serving. (optional) Garnish with lemon or chopped fresh parsley.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.