Easy Chocolate Eclair Icebox Cake made with chocolate graham crackers, vanilla pudding, and a quick, homemade dark chocolate frosting with flecks of Kosher salt. It’s mostly sweet with tiny moments of salt, making it an irresistible icebox cake.
Chocolate Eclair Icebox Cake
Guys, I have to be honest.
This is the first recipe to hit my blog that didn’t get my usual healthy ingredient makeover.
You know I rarely let myself get all crazy with refined, white sugar and boxed foods (like instant pudding).
So, I’m sorry if a sexy, chocolatey, decadent, icebox cake isn’t what you’re looking for today.
But, I’m sooooo not sorry.
Because this cake…inspired by a chocolate eclair donut…leaves me speechless. For reals!
No wonder it’s the BEST dessert at parties!
So, if you’re gonna bust up your diet, make it count with this refrigerator cake gem!
Ok, how do you make a Chocolate Eclair icebox cake?
Step 1. Make graham cracker crumb topping.
Step 2. Make instant pudding and fold in whipped topping.
Step 2. Layer pudding mix and chocolate graham crackers in a dish.
Step 3. Sprinkle the crumb topping on the top layer of pudding.
Step 3. Top with my easy, chocolate frosting/sauce.
Step 4. Sprinkle more graham cracker crumb topping, then sprinkle a little Kosher salt. Then refrigerate for 6-8 hours. The waiting is the hardest part!
* See full recipe below
How is this chocolate eclair cake different from ALL the other ones out there?
Chocolate Eclair Cake, icebox cake in general, has been around forever and there are a million recipes out there. I stayed with tradition, for the most part.
But, here’s what I did differently:
- I used chocolate graham crackers instead of plain…because chocolate.
- I made my super-easy, homemade chocolate sauce for the frosting.
- I topped the icebox cake with finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- I garnished the top with sprinkles of Kosher salt…because chocolate and salt.
What’s the right size Chocolate Eclair Cake?
I intentionally sized this recipe to accommodate smaller events with 4-6 people, which may (or may not) yield a leftover piece or two.
If you’re entertaining 8-12 people, you’ll want to DOUBLE my recipe and increase the size of the container…no question.
I doubt you’ll end up with leftovers after any party where icebox cake is served.
But if you do…just cover it and store in the fridge.
How long does icebox cake last in the refrigerator?
If covered properly with an airtight seal, it should easily last about 3 or 4 days before it starts looking ugly.
Probably won’t last more than 24 hours because it’s so scrumptious!
Chocolate Eclair Icebox Cake Ingredients
- vanilla instant pudding & pie filling
- whipped topping
- chocolate graham crackers
- kosher salt
Recommended kitchen tools
- stainless mixing bowl
- stainless whisk
- silicone spatula
- Food processor (to make graham cracker crumbs)
- 2 qt casserole dish 10.5 x 7
- offset spatula
- plastic wrap (to cover casserole)
If you want an orangey, chocolatey, oven-baked cake, you’ll love my Orange Olive Oil Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache.
If you love caramel…you need my Bananas Foster up in your life!
Check out this easy No Churn Strawberry Greek Frozen Yogurt summer dessert!
Chocolate Eclair Icebox Cake
For the cake:
- 1 3.4 oz box Vanilla Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
- 2 cups 2% Milk
- 8 oz Whipped Topping thawed
- 1 14 oz box Chocolate Graham Crackers you need 1-2 sleeves
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 1/4 cup Milk any kind
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder sifted
- 2 Tbsp Butter softened
- optional Kosher Salt for garnish
For the eclair cake filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together PUDDING MIX and MILK and allow 5 minutes to set; fold in WHIPPED TOPPING; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the eclair cake crust:
- In a food processor, pulse 1 sleeve of CHOCOLATE GRAHAM CRACKERS into coarse crumbs; set aside.
For the no-bake icebox cake filling:
- In a 10" x 7" baking dish, line bottom with non-crumbled GRAHAMS.
- Pour and spread half the pudding filling to cover grahams; repeat another layer of crackers and filling.
- Sprinkle crumbled GRAHAM CRACKERS over entire surface; place cake in refrigerator while you prepare frosting.
For the frosting:
- In a small saucepan over medium flame, heat and whisk MILK, SUGAR, and COCOA just until gentle boil occurs; remove from heat; whisk in BUTTER until smooth; allow to cool briefly.
- Gently pour over cake; spread evenly.
- Garnish with more graham crackers crumbs and a pinch of KOSHER SALT.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight; serve chilled.
- ** Please note this serves 4-6 adults. If your entertaining 8-12 people, double the recipe, using a 9" x 13" baking dish.
I originally published this Chocolate Eclair Icebox Cake on amandascookin.com in April 2017.