This easy homemade granola recipe is made with steel cut and rolled oats, coconut flakes, and 4 seeds! If you want to make healthy granola, this is it! There’s NO refined sugar and minimal oil, giving it a flaky-clustered texture. It’s not just granola…it’s a topping for so many things!
The Best Homemade Granola … with 4 Seeds!
Did you know that homemade granola is as simple as dump, stir, press, bake, cool, and scoop? Yep!
In fact, the hardest part of the whole process is waiting for the granola to cool before breaking it into pieces.
If you like to save money and be in control of your ingredients, grab this easy granola recipe made with oats, coconut, nuts, chia, hemp, pumpkin, and flax seeds.
All the seeds!
If you’re new to this, this simple granola recipe will give you the foundation to be the granola BOSS, and then go crazy with other ingredient combinations!
How to make granola healthy
Tip #1: Use whole grains such as rolled oats or steel cut oats, or both, as I did in this recipe.
Tip #2: Skip the refined sugar and select a natural sweetener such as maple syrup or honey. These will bind ingredients during the baking process.
Tip #3: Add heart-healthy tree nuts such as almonds, walnuts, pistachios, or pecans for added texture, protein, and fiber!
Tip #4: Add superfood seeds like pumpkin, flax, hemp, or chia for extra fiber, protein, and antioxidants. I added all four seeds to this recipe…welcome to ‘healthy city’!
Tip #5: Select a heart-healthy oil such as coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil.
If you make homemade granola instead of buying it packaged, YOU control your ingredients.
What this really means…you get to skip the excessive amounts of salt and sugar used in the packaging process.
In other words…yay for YOU!
Homemade Granola Recipe Steps
Step 1: Combine DRY ingredients in a bowl.
Step 2: Whisk together WET ingredients in a separate bowl.
Step 3: Mix together WET and DRY ingredients and press firmly into a baking pan.
Step 4: Bake the granola for 40 minutes at 300° and do NOT stir. Trust me on this.
Step 5: Allow to completely cool (the waiting is the hardest part!); then break apart.
* Grab the full recipe below
It really is this simple and you might even have enough ingredients in your pantry to make granola right now. Do it!
What can I do with granola?
- Eat homemade granola as a breakfast cereal with milk.
- Make my fruit and yogurt breakfast bowl that’s topped with granola from this very recipe.
- Add interesting texture to your soft ice cream or frozen yogurt by adding a handful of crispy granola.
- Add homemade granola to your trail mix and hit the hills!
- Toss healthy granola into cookie, muffin, or brownie batter for a unique texture and flavor.
- Level up the texture on your super healthy smoothie bowl with a handful of homemade granola sprinkled on top.
- Sprinkle on smoothies for added texture and flavor!
How do you store homemade granola?
I store my granola in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 1 month.
Quite frankly, it never lasts that long because we can’t stop eating it!
Can I refrigerate granola?
When you refrigerate granola, it can absorb moisture and fridge odors…we’re not down with this.
Can I freeze granola?
Freezing granola can also cause it to absorb moisture and freezer odors, so if you must freeze it, I recommend using a vacuum sealer to package your granola first.
In fact, just go ahead and eat the stuff because you know you want to…and you can make more because it’s so easy!
How long does homemade granola last?
It all depends on your storage environment…and how delicious it is 😉
If granola is exposed to humidity, it can mold rather quickly. Bummer!
When stored in an airtight container in a dry environment, homemade granola can stay optimal for weeks, maybe even a few months.
I’ll be honest though, it usually doesn’t last that long because we can’t keep our hands off the stuff!
Healthy granola recipe ingredients:
- rolled oats and steel-cut oats
- coconut flakes
- sliced almonds (or any nuts)
- raw pumpkin seeds
- flax seed
- chia seed
- hemp seed (also called hemp hearts)
- extra virgin olive oil
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- kosher salt
- bowl to mix dry ingredients
- bowl to mix wet ingredients
- 9 x 13 baking sheet
- pancake turner to press the granola (or use your hands)
- airtight container
How to make the BEST granola
Practice and experiment!
That’s exactly what I did to finalize this recipe…I’ve made it countless times.
And this is just ONE granola recipe to get you started or add to your awesome collection.
Want more healthy breakfast recipes?
Easy Homemade Granola with 4 Seeds
Granola (dry Ingredients)
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flakes
- 1/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Flax Seed
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seed
- 1 Tbsp Hemp Seed also called hemp hearts
- Preheat oven to 300°
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ROLLED OATS, STEEL OATS, COCONUT, ALMONDS, PUMPKIN SEEDS, FLAX SEED, CHIA SEEDS, and HEMP HULLS.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together OLIVE OIL, MAPLE SYRUP, VANILLA, and SALT.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients and stir.
- Spread mixture out onto to 9" x 13" baking sheet (also called a quarter sheet); press to form an even layer.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until golden brown (do NOT stir during the baking process, this will disturb the clumping).
- Remove from oven, allow to completely cool, break into pieces, and store in an airtight container up to 1 month. Serve over yogurt, chia pudding, or your favorite ice cream.