Shakshuka is a skillet of poached eggs in tomato sauce. It's a scrumptious Mediterranean comfort food dish that can be eaten for breakfast or dinner. It's the perfect breakfast while entertaining weekend guests!
This vibrant dish is so perfect as a slightly passive morning activity and I love it for entertaining weekend guests. Everyone will be so happy to get this one into their belly!
You guys know how I love to break down my recipes into a quick-overview of steps?...because recipes (and new dishes) can be intimidating.
Of course, the official recipe in this post is more detailed, but here’s the overview for this one:
How to make Shakshuka
Step 1: Heat oil and sauté veggies
Step 2: Add tomato sauce, paste, and seasonings
Step 3: Simmer for a bit
Step 4: Add eggs, cover, and simmer a bit more
Step 5: Serve warm with sliced bread or baked crostini
* See the full recipe below
- extra virgin olive oil
- red onion
- bell pepper
- canned diced tomatoes
- tomato paste
- bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
Here are the tools I use to make this recipe:
- Lodge 12" skillet
- silicone spatula
Other easy breakfast recipes
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 large Red Onion diced
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 28-oz can Reduced Sodium Diced Tomatoes do not drain
- 3 oz Tomato Paste
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
To make Shakshuka sauce
- Heat OLIVE OIL in a 10" skillet over medium heat until shimmering (about 2 min).
- Add RED ONIONS, RED BELL PEPPER, and GARLIC; saute until tender (5 minutes).
- Gently fold in DICED TOMATOES, TOMATO PASTE, CUMIN, BAY LEAF, SALT, and PEPPER; stir to combine.
- Turn heat to low; cover; allow the mixture to simmer 10-20 minutes until tomato sauce thickens; stir as needed (and don't be afraid to add a little water if you feel like the moisture content needs a boost).
To poach the eggs
- Using a large spoon, create divots in the surface of tomato mixture, evenly spaced; gently crack EGGS into these divots; top with DRIED PARSLEY.
- Cover skillet and allow to simmer 8-15 minutes, or until the eggs reach your desired yolk doneness.
- Serve warm; garnish with Feta Cheese and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if desired.