Easy Shakshuka Recipe - poached eggs in tomato sauce and vegetables. Enjoy this scrumptious Mediterranean comfort dish for breakfast or dinner. It's perfect for entertaining weekend guests!
Shakshuka is a vibrant, savory dish that makes for an easygoing morning or evening meal. I especially love it when entertaining visitors. It's loaded with tomato flavor and doesn't weigh you down like pasta sometimes can. The eggs add protein, flavor, and a silky texture making this dish one of our favorite skillet meals.
Shakshuka recipe ingredients
- extra virgin olive oil
- bell pepper
- fresh garlic
- canned diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- tomato paste
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper
How to make Shakshuka
- Heat oil and sauté veggies
- Add tomato sauce, paste, and seasonings
- Simmer for a bit
- Add eggs, cover, and simmer a bit more
- Serve warm with sliced bread or baked crostini
- Lodge 12" skillet
- silicone spatula
Other easy breakfast recipes
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ medium Red Onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce can) Crushed Tomatoes, or other canned tomatoes
- ½ (6 ounce can) Tomato Paste
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dried Parsley
How to make Shakshuka sauce
- Heat OLIVE OIL in a 10" skillet over medium heat until shimmering (about 2 min).
- Add RED ONIONS, RED BELL PEPPER, and GARLIC; saute until tender (5 minutes).
- Gently fold in DICED TOMATOES, TOMATO PASTE, CUMIN, BAY LEAF, SALT, and PEPPER; stir to combine.
- Turn heat to low; cover; allow the mixture to simmer 10-20 minutes until tomato sauce thickens; stir as needed (and don't be afraid to add a little water if you feel like the moisture content needs a boost).
To poach the eggs
- Using a large spoon, create divots in the surface of tomato mixture, evenly spaced; gently crack EGGS into these divots; top with DRIED PARSLEY.
- Cover skillet and allow to simmer 8-15 minutes, or until the eggs reach your desired yolk doneness.
- Serve warm; garnish with Feta Cheese and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if desired.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.