Grilled Portobello Mushrooms are a mouth-watering, low carb, grill recipe. The mushrooms are soaked in a simple white wine marinade and grilled to juicy perfection. Use this portobello mushroom recipe as a side dish or meat substitute for sandwiches and wraps.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
When grilling season hits, you need an easy, meatless griller that's inexpensive, not processed, and downright delish. This simple recipe calls for a quick spin in a white wine marinade and about 15 minutes on the grill.
Use this portobello mushroom recipe for sandwiches, wraps, and salads. The sky's the limit!
Portobello mushroom marinade ingredients
- dry white wine
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic cloves
- Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and pepper
* See full recipe below
How to clean portobello mushrooms
- Use a soft-bristled brush to remove dirt and residue. Alternatively, you can clean portobello mushrooms under running water and dry them off.
- Keep or remove the stems...totally up to you. When I keep the stems on, I remove the very bottom of the stem just to make a clean edge.
- I do not peel the skin or gills away from portobello mushrooms. To me, these are part of the mushroom experience and I happen to like the texture of both.
How to cook portobello mushrooms on the grill
Step 1. Whisk together the marinade ingredients
Step 2. Clean the mushrooms, slice them into 1" think pieces, and place them in a baking dish.
Step 3. Marinate the mushrooms by pouring the marinade over them and allowing them to sit for 30 minutes (no need to refrigerate).
Step 4. Fire up the grill to medium-high and, when it's ready, grill the mushrooms in a prepared grill basket for 10-15 minute, tossing as needed to avoid burning.
I love this Weber Grill Basket because it prevents the veggies from falling through the grill. You can live without it, but it’s a really convenient tool.
Step 5. Carefully remove the grill basket and transfer the mushrooms to a plate or pan to cool. Serve warm as a side dish or stuffed into a sandwich or wrap.
* See full recipe instructions below
This portobello mushroom recipe has everything!
- It's vegetarian…actually, it's vegan and gluten-free.
- The marinade uses mostly white wine and water for the liquid, so we use less oil…bonus!
- The marinating process takes only 30 minutes (but you can marinate up to 8 hours if you like).
- Grilling the mushrooms takes under 15 minutes…and they're so flippin' delicious!
- You can eat these mushrooms warm or cold. Trust me, they rock either way.
- They're a nutritious, vegan meal prep item.
What to serve with portobello mushrooms
- Easy Broiled Salmon Recipe
- Baked Chicken Legs or Baked Chicken Thighs
- Lemony Kale Chickpea Salad
- THE BEST Potato Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- chef knife and cutting board
- 8″ x 10″ baking dish or mixing bowl
- outdoor grill and grill basket
Portobello mushroom recipes
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
- 3 Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
Prep the mushrooms
- Carefully remove stems from PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM CAPS; wipe mushrooms clean with a paper towel; cut into 1” slices; place in a 8" x 10" baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together WHITE WINE, WATER, OLIVE OIL, GARLIC, ITALIAN SEASONING, SALT, PEPPER; pour over the sliced mushrooms.If you need more liquid for the marinade, add small amounts of additional white wine, or water, or both...your choice.
- Cover the dish with a lid or plastic and marinate for 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can cover and marinate the mushrooms up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.
How to grill portobello mushrooms
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and spray a grill basket with cooking oil. Remove MUSHROOMS from baking dish and drain off excess marinade.
- Place the mushrooms in the prepared grill basket directly on the grate of the hot grill. Close the lid and allow mushrooms to grill for 5 minutes.
- Carefully lift the lid and use tongs to move the mushrooms around in the basket to promote even heating. Close lid and resume grilled for 5 minutes until thoroughly cooked.You may wish to add yet another 5 minutes to the grilling time.
- Carefully remove the grilled mushrooms; cover and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm, or allow to completely cool and store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.