This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Creamy Red Potato Salad with tender, red skin potatoes, hard boiled eggs, dill pickles, fresh dill, and a zingy dressing. It's savory, zesty, and belongs at every summer BBQ.
Why you'll love this recipe
There's nothing like a classic red skin potato salad, whether it's a summer BBQ picnic or family dinner. America's favorite side dish is creamy, savory, a little tart, and has tiny bites of crunch – all of which makes it so irresistible!
The ingredients are so simple too! Tender red potatoes, hard boiled eggs, dill pickles, fresh dill, and crisp veggies all combined are what give this potato salad classic feel and flavor! Plus, there's no sugar added because it's just not necessary. Bonus!
Of course this creamy potato side dish goes with everything! Serve alongside sandwiches like pulled pork sliders or a Reuben sandwich for picnics and parties. This potato salad also rounds out savory dinner entrees like baked chicken, air fryer chicken, pork chops, or grilled salmon.
Ingredient amounts are included in the printable recipe below.
- red potatoes - Use baby red potatoes or regular sized red potatoes.
- hard boiled eggs - You can make easy-peel Instant Pot boiled eggs, simple air fryer boiled eggs, or classic stove boiled eggs for this potato salad.
- onion - I recommend red onion for it's firm, crispy texture. Green onions or yellow onions will work too!
- celery - Tiny bites of crunchy celery add so much texture to potato salad. You could also add small amounts of celery seed to add more celery flavor.
- dill pickle - Use your favorite store-bought dill pickles or make this easy dill pickles recipe.
- fresh dill - Nothing beats the flavor and aroma of fresh dill when it comes to red skin potato salad. But, if you only have dried dill, by all means, use it.
- mayonnaise and Greek yogurt - I like to use both, as opposed to just mayonnaise, because Greek yogurt nutrition to the potato calories. Also, I love the flavor combination. You can always substitute one for the other if preferred.
- Dijon mustard - Dijon mustard adds a hint of spice and delicious, zingy flavor to this recipe.
- white vinegar - The acidity of vinegar balances the savoriness of the potato salad dressing.
- salt and pepper
How to make the best potato salad
Get the full, printable instructions in the printable recipe below.
Step 1: Scrub, dice, and boil red potatoes in salted water 8 to 12 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and cool to room temperature. Note: If you prefer to cook red potatoes whole and dice later, add at least 10 more minutes of cook time up to 30 minutes total.
Step 2. Whisk the mayonnaise, yogurt, Dijon, vinegar, salt, and pepper together to make the dressing.
Step 3. Gently toss cooked potatoes and dressing mixture together to coat potatoes. Cover and chill potato salad until ready to serve.
To serve, garnish red potato salad with fresh dill, serve, and enjoy!
- to peel or not peel - You're welcome to peel potatoes for this recipe, but what makes a red potato salad red is the nutritious, naturally red skin. Also, not peeling is a real time saver!
- boil whole or diced - You can also boil red potatoes whole and dice once they're cooled down. However, diced potatoes can cook in a fraction of the time, which is quite convenient when you're in a hurry.
- use cold water - Place diced potatoes directly in cold water because it prevents air exposure which prevents discoloration.
- To make potato salad ahead, cook the potatoes, make the dressing, and refrigerate in airtight containers up to 3 days. You can also combine the entire salad at any point during this time frame.
- Substitute white vinegar with apple cider vinegar for even brighter flavors and a hint of apple flavor.
- I created this recipe with a half mayonnaise and half Greek yogurt base, but you can substitute either ingredient in equal amounts, if desired.
- Of course you can substitute other potatoes for this red potato salad recipe. I recommend Yukon gold potatoes because they're naturally creamy with thin skin.
More BBQ sides we love
Red Potato Salad Recipe with Dill
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from The Kitchen Girl.
- 3 pounds Red Potatoes 1-inch diced (about 8 cups)
- Water as needed for boiling
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ cup Onion diced
- 3 Hard Boiled Eggs diced
- 1 rib Celery diced
- ½ cup Dill Pickles chopped
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Dill chopped
- Place POTATOES in large pot. Add enough WATER to cover them by 2 inches. (Optional) Add 1 teaspoon of SEA SALT to the water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat, and cook potatoes 8 to 12 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Drain and cool the potatoes to room temperature.
- To make the dressing, whisk together MAYONNAISE, DIJON, VINEGAR, SALT, and PEPPER in a mixing bowl.
- In a large bowl, gently toss this dressing mixture with the POTATOES, HARD BOILED EGGS, ONIONS, CELERY, PICKLE, and FRESH DILL.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days, or more at your discretion.
Click stars to vote. Please visit 'Comments' below for reviews.