Hey Meatless Monday…take this! Vegetarian Skillet Enchiladas: Black Bean Sweet Potato is my deep-dish, gluten-free, comfort-food paradise. Check out that pull-apart cheesy goodness on the top with loads of healthy ingredients underneath.
Vegetarian Skillet Enchiladas: Black Bean Sweet Potato
Everywhere we look, the black bean and sweet potato combination is all the love, esp on Pinterest. There’s a reason…the combo rocks!
So, challenging myself to get in the game, I came up with this Texi-Mexi skillet concoction to add to my vegetarian collection.
I’ll be honest…I had average expectations for this dish…even as I created it, but much to my surprise, it was really, really, good!
In fact, it was so hearty, we couldn’t believe it was a vegetarian dish. (This came directly from muh meat-lovin man!)
The key to making this dish in 30 minutes
There’s NO rolling ingredients into tortillas. Nope…none. You simply chop the tortillas into small pieces and scatter them into the filling.
Also, you can have certain prepared ingredients on hand such as cooked rice and canned black beans. You can zap the sweet potatoes in the microwave (one of my fav kitchen hacks, explained in detail below) and you can whip up the enchie sauce from my pantry recipe.
So, with a tiny bit of planning, this is easily a 30 minute weeknight meal.
What’s the fastest way to cook sweet potatoes?
Microwave, baby…all the way!
Ok, how do you cook sweet potatoes in a microwave?
- scrub sweet potato surface to remove dirt
- carefully pierce in several places with a sharp knife
- place in the microwave…all by its naked self (no wrapper)
- heat on high 3-5 minutes (I start with 3, then add minute by minute as needed until tender)
Then peel and cut into cubes. Voila!
How do you make enchilada sauce from scratch?
You can easily use canned sauce, but if you have an extra 15 minutes, you could jam out my awesome, gluten-free Enchilada Sauce recipe. (srsly, do this if you can….it’s so delicious!)
Btw, that’s not your everyday enchilada sauce. It has very little sugar, NO wheat, NO MSG, and very little salt, yet it has deep flavor and is so easy to make.
Here are the ingredients I use to make Vegetarian Skillet Enchiladas:
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- red onion
- serrano pepper
- sweet potatoes
- canned black beans
- corn tortillas
- cooked rice (optional, but highly recommended)
- enchilada sauce (grab my easy homemade pantry recipe)
- mozzarella cheese
- cilantro and lime (for garnish)
Here are the kitchen tools I use to make this recipe:
Want more of my tried and true, vegetarian Mexican-inspired recipes?
Try my Chipotle Copycat Cilantro Lime Brown Rice. Super easy and so addictive!
5 Minute Mexican Restaurant Blender Salsa is exactly that! Delicious salsa in 5 minutes!
Then there’s this Creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing and Dip. Avocado lovers unite!
Do you listen to podcasts?
If you’re trying to incorporate vegetarian food into your life, check out the Vegetarian Zen podcast!
These gals have their thumb on the pulse of vegetarian lifestyle resources and ideas, and their weekly show is all about animal-free living.
* Note: This post has affiliate product links, which allows me to earn commissions when you make purchases through those links (no extra cost to you). THANK YOU for supporting The Kitchen Girl.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Citrus Fennel Arugula Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette - 03/20/2018
- Turmeric Chickpea Beetroot Hippie Bowl - 03/13/2018
- Vegan Veggie Chinese Lo Mein Noodles - 02/26/2018