Here’s a 15-minute enchilada sauce recipe that’s BOLD on flavor and approved for most diets. It’s made with pantry ingredients you likely have on hand! Homemade enchilada sauce makes my No-Roll Veggie Enchiladas absolutely scrumptious!!!
Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Take a look at the ingredients on most canned Enchilada sauces.
Do they contain too much sugar, salt, MSG, or flour?
What if you could very quickly and easily make your own sauce to be in control of those ingredients?
Check out my Homemade Enchilada Sauce recipe below…this ain’t no canned enchilada sauce!
It’s also low-sodium, MSG-free, gluten-free, vegetarian, and the sugar is optional. Jackpot!
This super easy sauce comes together in 15 minutes and, whoah Nellie!, look out for the aroma and flavor of this sauce…it ain’t no packaged enchilada sauce!
You can use the sauce immediately, or cool and refrigerate up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce Ingredients
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion flakes
- ground cumin
- arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- avocado oil (or other neutral flavored oil)
- vegetable broth
- tomato paste
- brown sugar (optional)
- kosher salt and black pepper
How to thicken enchilada sauce
Homemade Enchilada Sauce recipes often call for flour, but I substituted arrowroot to so I could skip the flour in this recipe.
Just like cornstarch, arrowroot works as a starchy thickener, but without the corn.
When refrigerated, it will solidify due to the gel-forming nature of the arrowroot or cornstarch. It will loosen upon heating and you’ll have a perfect, enchilada sauce consistency.
Use this sauce for my No-Roll Vegetarian Enchiladas…or use it for ANY enchiladas recipe!
Tools needed to make this recipe
- 2 small mixing bowls
- 3-quart soup pot
- can opener
- arrowroot powder
Want a few more of my Mexican recipes?
Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Dehydrated Onion
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 3 Tbsp Arrowroot or 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil or other neutral flavored oil
- 3 cups Reduced Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 3 oz No Salt Added Tomato Paste same as 1/3 cup
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar optional
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together CHILI POWDER, OREGANO, GARLIC POWDER, ONION FLAKES, and CUMIN; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk ARROWROOT (or cornstarch), VEGETABLE STOCK, TOMATO PASTE, SALT and PEPPER together; set aside
- Heat OIL in a 3-quart saucepot over medium heat; add dried seasonings, stir until toasted and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Pour in the liquids and whisk to combine; increase heat to medium-high long enough to bring sauce just to a boil.
- Reduce heat to LOW and simmer until thickened, stirring as needed.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Chicken Penne Alla Vodka [One Pot Pasta] - 08/16/2019
- Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe - 08/08/2019
- 50 Buddha Bowls to Reboot Your Plant-Based Routine - 08/07/2019