Cilantro Lime Rice is a super fast, copycat Chipotle rice recipe. Fresh cilantro, fresh lime, cooked rice, and a few pantry staples create a 10-minute flavor fiesta! It’s budget-friendly, naturally vegan, gluten-free, and YOU control the sodium!
Cilantro Lime Rice turns plain rice into an exciting side dish!
Transform cooked rice, and watch it disappear!
Whether it’s for a party, or for Taco Tuesday, you’ll wonder where this recipe has been all your life!
This Chipotle rice copycat cilantro lime rice recipe is 4 of my favorite things:
- easy to make (simply add cilantro and lime to cooked rice)
- inexpensive (the entire dish is made with grocery staples)
- delicious (who doesn’t love cilantro and lime)
- versatile (make it for parties, weeknight dinner, or weekly meal prep)
Some would even say it’s secretly healthy!
No matter what, this recipe turns plain, cooked rice into a gorgeous Mexican side dish that’s bursting with lime flavor.
How to make your own Chipotle Rice aka Cilantro Lime Rice
Step 1. Zest and juice a lime.
Step 2. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 3. Add cooked rice and saute until warmed through, stirring as needed.
Step 4. Stir in fresh lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and lime zest.
Step 5. Serve it up and watch it disappear!
* Full recipe available in the recipe card below
Cilantro Recipe Tips and FAQ’s
Can I use white or brown rice for Cilantro Rice?
You can use white rice or brown rice for this recipe.
Of course, brown rice usually gets the thumbs up for having more nutrients, protein, and fiber than white rice.
I’m happy with either one!
You can also use basmati rice, long grain rice, or jasmine rice. I’ve tried them all, and to be honest, I’m hard-pressed to pick a favorite.
What’s the best way to cook rice for this recipe?
You can cook rice using your favorite method, be it Instant Pot, rice cooker, or stove method.
The real trick I’ve found is to allow the rice to cool before using it in this recipe. Better yet, chilling it overnight gives it a better texture for this recipe…it’s less sticky.
You can always add more flavor to the rice by cooking it in chicken broth instead of plain water.
But you knew that already, didn’t ya?
What’s the best way to store Cilantro Rice?
I recommend storing this rice in an airtight container, preferably with a locking lid.
Cooked rice dries out quickly in the refrigerator, and the locking lid helps delay that process.
What’s the best way to reheat Cilantro Lime Rice?
I have two reheat recommendations:
1) Microwave: Sprinkle a few drops of water over it, cover, and reheat in one-minute increments until warmed through.
2) Stovetop: On medium heat in a nonstick skillet, heat a few drops of oil, add rice, saute until warmed through, stirring as needed.
Cilantro Lime Rice Ingredients:
- avocado oil (or any oil)
- cooked rice (white or brown)
- fresh limes
- fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and pepper
Tools you’ll need for this recipe:
Check out these other healthy Mexican recipes!
Cilantro Lime Rice
- Heat AVOCADO OIL until shimmering on medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet.
- Add COOKED RICE; sauté and stir until warmed through (4-5 minutes).
- Add LIME JUICE; continue heating and stir until juice is absorbed (1-2 minutes); add CILANTRO, SALT, PEPPER, and LIME ZEST; gently toss to combine; serve warm.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Thai Coconut Soup - 12/01/2019
- Pear Cranberry Apple Crisp - 11/26/2019
- 14 Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes They’ll Love (even if they’re not vegan) - 11/24/2019