Cilantro Lime Rice is a super fast, copycat Chipotle rice recipe. Fresh cilantro, fresh lime, cooked rice, and a few pantry staples create a 10-minute flavor fiesta! Add this budget-friendly recipe to your Mexican recipe collection.
Cilantro Lime Rice lets you transform plain cooked rice into an exciting dish and watch it disappear! Whether it’s for a party or for Taco Tuesday, you’ll wonder where this recipe has been all your life! It's a gorgeous Mexican side dish that’s bursting with lime flavor.
What I love about copycat Chipotle cilantro rice
- easy to make - simply add cilantro and lime to cooked rice
- inexpensive - the entire dish is made with grocery staples
- delicious - who doesn't love cilantro and lime
- versatile - make it for parties, weeknight dinner, or weekly meal prep
- avocado oil - or preferred oil
- cooked rice white or brown rice
- fresh limes - I don't recommend packaged lime juice
- fresh cilantro - always use fresh (not dried) cilantro
How to make cilantro lime rice
- Zest and juice a lime.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add cooked rice and saute until warmed through, stirring as needed.
- Stir in fresh lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and lime zest.
- Serve it and watch it disappear!
Use white rice or brown rice for Cilantro Rice - Brown rice has more nutrients, protein, and fiber than white rice. But, some people won't touch brown rice. Good thing it goes either way.
What’s the best method to cook rice for cilantro lime rice? You can cook rice using your favorite method, be it Instant Pot, rice cooker, or stove method. The real trick is to allow the rice to cool before using it in this recipe. Chilling it overnight is even better!
How to add flavor - Cilantro rice is naturally flavorful, but if you want more, cook the rice in chicken broth instead of plain water.
Storing cilantro rice - Refrigerate cooked rice in an airtight container with a locking lid. Cooked rice dries out quickly in the refrigerator, and the locking lid helps delay that process.
2 ways to reheat cilantro rice:
- Microwave: Sprinkle a few drops of water over it, cover, and reheat in one-minute increments until warmed through.
- Stovetop: On medium heat in a nonstick skillet, heat a few drops of oil, add rice, saute until warmed through, stirring as needed.
More Mexican recipes
- Black Bean Corn Salsa
- Taco Pasta [Instant Pot or stove]
- Loaded Steak Nachos
- Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Fresh Peach Salsa
- Mango Salsa
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil, or any oil
- 4 cups Cooked Rice, white or brown
- 1 Lime, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup Cilantro, chopped
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper
- Heat AVOCADO OIL until shimmering on medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet.
- Add COOKED RICE; sauté and stir until warmed through (4-5 minutes).
- Add LIME JUICE; continue heating and stir until juice is absorbed (1-2 minutes); add CILANTRO, SALT, PEPPER, and LIME ZEST; gently toss to combine; serve warm.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.