Slow Cooker Freezer Marinara Pasta Sauce is my favorite way to make marinara sauce because it cooks for hours, yielding deep flavors, yet is virtually hands-free! It’s the perfect heat-and-serve freezer staple with no added sugars and you’re in control of the salt.
Slow Cooker Freezer Marinara Pasta Sauce
Ok, we know it’s super easy to buy packaged pasta sauce, and I always have some on hand in case of emergency, but if there’s one habit you could pick up today that will take you far, it’s slow cooking your own pasta sauce and freezing it.
When you make your own marinara pasta sauce in a crockpot, great things happen:
- Meal prep a big batch, freeze, and heat-and-serve as needed
- You control ingredients like sodium and sugar…winning!
- Save money! This recipe costs .09¢/oz, while retail averages .29¢/oz. WOW!
- It practically cooks itself and doesn’t heat up the whole kitchen (great during summer!)
- So versatile…use it for pasta, pizza, lasagna, and meatball sliders.
- Uhm, it tastes better than anything you’ve had in a jar…promise!
Speaking of meatball sliders, we tested this very recipe last weekend on 25 people after the local, holiday parade. They loved it and it couldn’t have been any easier.
We put 75 cooked, meatballs and 4 quarts of my cooked marinara sauce in a big crock pot, turned it on LOW for several hours, went to the parade, and returned to a self-serve, meatball-slider extravaganza.
So, how do you make tomato spaghetti sauce in the crockpot?
The full recipe is detailed below but here is an overview simple steps:
- saute garlic and onion
- add tomatoes and tomato paste
- add seasonings
- get stuff done for hours while your crockpot works for you
Ingredients needed for Slow Cooker Freezer Marinara Pasta Sauce:
- extra virgin olive oil
- canned tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes)
- tomato paste
- crushed red chili pepper (optional)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- ground fennel
- bay leaf
Tools I use for this recipe:
- chef knife and cutting board (for garlic and onions)
- 10″ skillet (to saute garlic and onions)
- slow cooker / crockpot
Want more freezer friendly crockpot recipes?
My Drunken Marinara Sauce is a 30-minute recipe with a lot of veggies…and a little vodka!
Fall Apart Chicken Vegetable Crockpot Soup is the one where the chicken doesn’t get dried out after cooking all day. Winning!
Easy Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is everyone’s favorite Southwest chili!
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Citrus Fennel Arugula Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette - 03/20/2018
- Turmeric Chickpea Beetroot Hippie Bowl - 03/13/2018
- Vegan Veggie Chinese Lo Mein Noodles - 02/26/2018