One-Pot Chicken and Broccoli Rice is a scrumptious 30-minute skillet dinner made with cooked chicken, broccoli, and rice. This family-approved chicken rice and broccoli turns rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken into a tasty meal!
Chicken and broccoli rice in one pot
Chicken and rice with broccoli is a classic, family-approved easy dinner recipe. It's a dump-and-cook dinner that makes a whole meal out of cooked chicken, broccoli, and rice...and it's practically hands-free!
Is chicken and rice healthy?
Actually, to me it sure can be! Chicken and broccoli recipes often call for a lot of cheese. This one has zero cheese. Nothing against it, but sometimes we need a break from the added calories and saturated fat. This dish becomes creamy by cooking it in its own starch from the rice and a little milk.
I like to use 1% milk, and I've even used unsweetened almond milk. You're welcome to use any milk you like.
How to make Chicken Broccoli Rice in one pot
Step 1. Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil a nonstick skillet.
Step 2. Add the uncooked rice and let it saute for a few minutes.
Step 3. Add the milk, chicken broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
Step 4. Cover and simmer 10 minutes on med-low heat.
Step 5. Add the rotisserie chicken and broccoli to the skillet; don't stir, just lay it on top of the rice.
Step 6. Cover and simmer another 10 minutes until rice is fully cooked. The broccoli will be nicely steamed and chicken will be reheated.
Step 7. Remove the lid, toss everything together, and serve warm, garnished with chopped parsley and lemon wedges.
* See full recipe below
Can I use brown rice in this chicken and rice recipe?
Unfortunately, the brown rice can't be simply substituted for white rice in this recipe. The reason is, the brown rice cooking time required will overcook the other ingredients.
- chef knife
- cutting board (to chop onions)
- Microplane fine grater (to grate garlic)
- colander (to rinse/drain rice)
- 11" skillet with lid or 3-quart dutch oven
- silicone spatula or wooden spoon
Want easy chicken recipes?
- Easy Baked Chicken Leg Drumsticks
- Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Easy Chicken Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breast
- Shepherd’s Pie [Turkey Or Chicken]
One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely grated
- 1 cup Long Grain White Rice, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup Milk, your choice
- 1 1/4 cup Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cups fresh Broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup rotisserie Chicken Breast, shredded
- 1 Lemon, sliced into wedges for serving
- 1 Tbsp fresh Parsley, chopped
- Heat OLIVE OIL in a large, nonstick skillet on medium-high.
- Add ONION and GARLIC; sauté until tender and fragrant (about 3 min).
- Add WHITE RICE; continue heating and stirring to toast the rice (about 3 min).
- Add MILK, CHICKEN BROTH, SALT, and PEPPER; stir to combine; adjust heat to HIGH and bring everything to a gentle boil (about 3 minutes).
- Cover, turn heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Scatter BROCCOLI and CHICKEN BREAST over surface of rice (but DON’T stir); cover and simmer 10 more minutes to steam everything.
- Remove lid, gently toss, and serve warm (optional) garnished with PARSLEY and lemon wedges.
PRO TIP: The rice will absorb the liquid during cooking, so be sure to add a few splashes of milk just before serving. This helps the rice maintain its creamy consistency.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.
I originally published this chicken and rice recipe on amandascookin.com.