Feel Better Pho Recipe is a plant-based, Asian soup for cold symptom relief. It’s a 15 minute soup, so when a cold hits me out of nowhere, I can make this with little preparation. Much like my Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy, which uses everyday ingredients and tackles even my worst sore throat pain.
Vegan Pho Recipe
When seasonal cold finds you unprepared with no emergency cans of noodle soup on hand, this is the soup to turn to.
It’s a light, Asian-inspired pho made with fresh veggies, noodles, broth, and a few toppings.
This comfort food was born out of desperation when I was home alone, with an unexpected cold. All I wanted at that moment was a warm bowl of veggies and noodles in a simple broth with some heat, like peppers.
So, in my cold-stricken state, I raided my refrigerator and pantry.
I came up with Feel Better Pho, which relieved my hunger and my craving for nutrients and hydration. Pho the win!
How do you make Pho?
Step 1. soak or boil noodles
Step 2. saute veggies
Step 3. add broth to veggies
Step 4. place cooked noodles in a bowl
Step 5. pour broth over noodles
Step 6. add garnish toppings
What are the best noodles for Pho soup?
Pho is generally made with rice noodles. You can use white or brown rice noodles…I love both.
However, for this recipe post, I used Soba buckwheat noodles (as you may see in the pictures). They offer a nutty flavor that you won’t get from rice noodles.
In general though, I think I prefer rice noodles. I’m kind of a traditionalist like that.
Btw, have you tried Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Spaghetti Noodles? Those babies are awesome and I would use them in this recipe in a heartbeat!
It comes together in 15 minutes if you use packaged vegetable broth.
How to make pho soup vegan
Step 1. chop and sauté veggies (mushrooms, cabbage, onions, celery, garlic, ginger)
Step 2. add water and simmer 20 minutes
Step 3. strain broth
Step 4. remove veggies (optional)
Step 5. pour over cooked noodles
You can grab the official Asian soup broth recipe here.
Pho soup recipe ingredients
- white or brown rice noodles (I used Soba here)
- green onions
- mushrooms (chopped)
- reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- (garnish) cilantro or basil, lime, sliced jalapeño, peanuts
More vegan soup recipes
If you have a sore throat and warm things are not bringing you relief, check out my Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy.
Vegan Pho Soup
- 4.5 oz Rice Noodles White or Brown (or Soba Noodles)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Green Onion sliced; stem and stalk separated
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms chopped
- 4 cups Reduced Sodium Vegetable Broth
- handful Cilantro
- 1 Lime quartered
- 1 Jalapeno sliced thin, for garnish
- 1 Tbsp Peanuts chopped, for garnish
- Cook RICE NOODLES according to package directions; drain; rinse; set aside.
- In a soup pot on medium-high flame, heat OIL; add GREEN ONION (stem) and MUSHROOMS; saute until tender and fragrant.
- Add VEGETABLE BROTH; increase heat, bring just to a boil; reduce heat, allow to simmer 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide cooked SOBA NOODLES evenly into two or three soup bowls; pour broth and vegetables over noodles; top with CILANTRO, LIME, JALAPENO PEPPER, PEANUTS, and GREEN ONION (stalk)
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes - 01/07/2020
- Vegetarian Instant Pot Recipes to WIN Meatless Mondays - 01/03/2020
- Instant Pot Vegan Tortilla Soup - 01/02/2020