This Vegan Pho Recipe is a plant-based, Asian soup I love to eat for comfort and sometimes cold symptom relief. It's a 15 minute soup that requires minimal prep. It pairs nicely with my Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy which uses everyday ingredients and tackles even my worst cold symptoms
When seasonal cold finds you unprepared with no emergency cans of noodle soup on hand, this is the soup to turn to. It's a light, Asian-inspired pho made with fresh veggies, noodles, broth, and a few toppings.
This comfort food was born out of desperation when I was home alone, with an unexpected cold. All I wanted was a warm bowl of veggies and noodles in a simple broth with some heat, like peppers. So, in my cold-stricken state, I raided my refrigerator and pantry.
Vegan Pho soup recipe ingredients
Visit the recipe card below for the FULL printable recipe
- white or brown rice noodles (I used Soba here)
- green onions
- mushrooms (chopped)
- reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- (garnish) cilantro or basil, lime, sliced jalapeño, peanuts
I came up with Feel Better Pho, which relieved my hunger and my craving for nutrients and hydration.
How to make vegan Pho
- soak or boil noodles
- saute veggies
- add broth to veggies
- place cooked noodles in a bowl
- pour broth over noodles
- add toppings for garnish
What are the best noodles for Pho soup?
Pho is generally made with rice noodles. You can use white or brown rice noodles...I love Trader Joe's Brown Rice Spaghetti Noodles.
However, for this recipe post, I used Soba buckwheat noodles (as you may see in the pictures). They offer a nutty flavor that you won't get from rice noodles.
It comes together in 15 minutes if you use packaged vegetable broth.
How to make pho soup vegan
Step 1. chop and sauté veggies (mushrooms, cabbage, onions, celery, garlic, ginger)
Step 2. add water and simmer 20 minutes
Step 3. strain broth
Step 4. remove veggies (optional)
Step 5. pour over cooked noodles
You can grab the official Asian soup broth recipe here.
More vegan soup recipes
If you have a sore throat and warm things are not bringing you relief, check out my Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy.
Vegan Pho Soup
- 4.5 oz Rice Noodles, White or Brown (or Soba Noodles)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Green Onion, sliced; stem and stalk separated
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 handful Cilantro
- 1 Lime, quartered
- 1 Jalapeno, sliced thin, for garnish
- 1 Tbsp Peanuts, chopped, for garnish
- Cook RICE NOODLES according to package directions; drain; rinse; set aside.
- In a soup pot on medium-high flame, heat OIL; add GREEN ONION (stem) and MUSHROOMS; saute until tender and fragrant.
- Add VEGETABLE BROTH; increase heat, bring just to a boil; reduce heat, allow to simmer 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide cooked SOBA NOODLES evenly into two or three soup bowls; pour broth and vegetables over noodles; top with CILANTRO, LIME, JALAPENO PEPPER, PEANUTS, and GREEN ONION (stalk)
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.