This Easy Pho Recipe is an Asian-inspired soup I love to eat for comfort and sometimes cold symptom relief. It's a 15 minute soup that requires minimal prep.
When seasonal cold finds you unprepared with no emergency cans of noodle soup on hand, this is the soup to turn to. It's a light, Asian-inspired pho made with fresh veggies, noodles, broth, and a few toppings.
This comfort food was born out of desperation when I was home alone, with an unexpected cold. All I wanted was a warm bowl of veggies and noodles in a simple broth with some heat, like peppers. So, in my cold-stricken state, I raided my refrigerator and pantry. I came up with this soup to relieve my hunger and get some necessary nutrients and hydration.
- white or brown rice noodles
- green onions
- mushrooms (chopped)
- reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- (garnish) cilantro or basil, lime, sliced jalapeño, peanuts
How to make Pho
- soak or boil the rice noodles
- saute veggies
- add broth to veggies
- place cooked rice noodles in a bowl
- pour soup broth over noodles
- add toppings for garnish
What are the best noodles for this recipe?
Pho is generally made with rice noodles. You can use white or brown rice noodles. I love brown rice spaghetti noodles as a substitute for white rice noodles.
Step 1. chop and sauté veggies (mushrooms, cabbage, onions, celery, garlic, ginger)
Step 2. add water and simmer 20 minutes
Step 3. strain broth
Step 4. remove veggies (optional)
Step 5. pour over cooked noodles
If you just want to make the Asian soup broth recipe, go for it! It's great for sipping when you don't have an appetite.
More vegan soup recipes
If you have a sore throat and warm things are not bringing you relief, check out my Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy.
Easy Pho Recipe
- 4.5 ounces Rice Noodles, White or Brown (or Soba Noodles)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 Green Onion, sliced; stem and stalk separated
- ½ cup Mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 handful Cilantro
- 1 Lime, quartered
- 1 Jalapeno, sliced thin, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts, chopped, for garnish
- Cook RICE NOODLES according to package directions; drain; rinse; set aside.
- In a soup pot on medium-high flame, heat OIL; add GREEN ONION (stem) and MUSHROOMS; saute until tender and fragrant.
- Add VEGETABLE BROTH; increase heat, bring just to a boil; reduce heat, allow to simmer 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide cooked SOBA NOODLES evenly into two or three soup bowls; pour broth and vegetables over noodles; top with CILANTRO, LIME, JALAPENO PEPPER, PEANUTS, and GREEN ONION (stalk)
- chef knife
- 3-quart sauce pot
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.