Feel Better Pho is a go-to plant-based, Asian soup for cold symptom relief. It’s a 15 minute soup, so when a cold hits me out of nowhere, I can make this with little preparation. Much like my Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy, which uses everyday ingredients and tackles even my worst sore throat pain.
Feel Better Pho: Cold Relief Veggie Noodle Soup
When seasonal cold finds you unprepared with no emergency cans of noodle soup on hand, this is the soup to turn to.
It’s a light, Asian-inspired pho made with fresh veggies, noodles, broth, and a few toppings.
This comfort food was born out of desperation when I was home alone, with an unexpected cold. All I wanted at that moment was a warm bowl of veggies and noodles in a simple broth with some heat, like peppers.
So, in my cold-stricken state, I raided my refrigerator and pantry.
I came up with Feel Better Pho, which relieved my hunger and my craving for nutrients and hydration. Pho the win!
So, how do you make Pho?
I’m not sure how traditional my approach is, but it goes like this:
- Cook noodles
- Saute veggies
- Add broth
- Put cooked noodles in a bowl
- Pour broth over noodles
- Add garnish toppings
What are the best noodles for Pho?
Pho is generally made with rice noodles. You can use white or brown rice noodles…I love both.
However, for this recipe post, I used Soba buckwheat noodles (as you may see in the pictures). They offer a nutty flavor that you won’t get from rice noodles.
In general though, I think I prefer rice noodles. I’m kind of a traditionalist like that.
Btw, have you tried Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Spaghetti Noodles? Those babies are awesome and I would use them in this recipe in a heartbeat!
It comes together in 15 minutes if you use packaged vegetable broth.
You can also use my Crazy Easy Asian Soup Broth recipe, which I lovvvve! It does add 15 minutes to the deal [but totally worth it!]
Here’s an overview of that:
- Chop and sauté veggies (mushrooms, cabbage, onions, celery, garlic, ginger)
- Add water and simmer 20 minutes
- Strain broth
- Remove veggies (optional)
- Pour over cooked noodles
Whether you make my Crazy Easy Asian Soup Broth, or use a pre-made broth, you’re ready to Feel Better Pho pretty darned quick!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make Feel Better Pho:
- white or brown rice noodles (I used Soba here)
- green onions
- mushrooms (chopped)
- vegetable broth
- (garnish) cilantro, lime, jalapeño, peanuts
Here are the tools I use:
Check out my other cold and flu relief recipes:
They consist of (mostly) water/ice with added natural ingredients…and kids LOVE them!
* Note: This post has affiliate product links, which allows me to earn commissions when you make purchases through those links (no extra cost to you). THANK YOU for supporting The Kitchen Girl.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Citrus Fennel Arugula Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette - 03/20/2018
- Turmeric Chickpea Beetroot Hippie Bowl - 03/13/2018
- Vegan Veggie Chinese Lo Mein Noodles - 02/26/2018