One-Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice is a 30-minute stovetop meal made with rotisserie chicken breast, fresh broccoli, white rice, and a few pantry ingredients. It’s family-friendly and a great way to make a meal out of rotisserie chicken breast, right in one skillet!
One-Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice
There are a million Chicken Broccoli Rice recipes out there, but not enough without cheese.
Nothing against cheese, but I love it so much, I need a break from it…as often as possible.
And you guys know I’m always tryna cut corners around fat without compromising flavor.
Guess what? I knocked this chicken broccoli rice recipe outta the park!
Wanna know how I know? My taste tester, Mr. Meat and Potatoes, wanted to polish off the entire skillet in one setting. That’s a hands-down win!
And of course I’m all like…why I didn’t come up with it sooner?!?!
Is chicken rice and broccoli a healthy one-pot meal?
Actually, to me it is!
It’s cooked chicken breast surrounded by fresh broccoli and white rice that becomes creamy by cooking it in its own starch and a little 1% milk.
I like to use lowfat milk, but you’re welcome to use any milk you like.
Even non-dairy milk (like almond or oat milk) would be great!
So tell me…do you need this 30-minute meal in your busy, weeknight rotation?
How to make One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice:
Step 1. Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil a nonstick skillet.
Step 2. Add the uncooked rice and let it saute for a few minutes.
Step 3. Add the milk, chicken broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
Step 4. Cover and simmer 10 minutes on med-low heat.
Step 5. Add the rotisserie chicken and broccoli to the skillet; don’t stir, just lay it on top of the rice.
Step 6. Cover and simmer another 10 minutes until rice is fully cooked. The broccoli will be nicely steamed and chicken will be reheated.
Step 7. Remove the lid, toss everything together, and serve warm, garnished with chopped parsley and lemon wedges.
* See full recipe below
Can I use brown rice in this chicken broccoli rice recipe?
Unfortunately, the brown rice can’t be simply substituted for white rice in this recipe.
The reason is, the brown rice cooking time required will overcook the other ingredients.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Ingredients
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic cloves
- white long grain rice (uncooked)
- milk (fat content your choice)
- chicken broth
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- rotisserie chicken breast (or any cooked chicken)
- fresh lemon
- fresh parsley
Recommended kitchen tools
- chef knife
- cutting board (to chop onions)
- Microplane fine grater (to grate garlic)
- colander (to rinse/drain rice)
- 11″ skillet with lid or 3-quart dutch oven
- silicone spatula or wooden spoon
Want more busy weeknight chicken recipes?
One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic finely grated
- 1 cup Long Grain White Rice rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup Milk your choice
- 1 1/4 cup Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cups fresh Broccoli chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup rotisserie Chicken Breast shredded
- 1 Lemon sliced into wedges for serving
- 1 Tbsp fresh Parsley chopped
- In a large, nonstick skillet on medium flame, heat OLIVE OIL until shimmering (about 2 min).
- Add ONION and GARLIC; sauté until tender and fragrant (about 3 min).
- Add WHITE RICE; continue heating until moisture is removed and rice becomes fragrant and lightly toasted, stirring as needed (about 3 min).
- Add MILK, CHICKEN BROTH, SALT, and PEPPER; stir to combine; adjust flame to HIGH and come to a gentle boil (takes about 3 minutes).
- Cover skillet, turn flame to medium-low, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add BROCCOLI and CHICKEN BREAST to the surface of the rice (but DON’T stir into rice yet); cover and simmer 10 more minutes to steam everything.
- Remove lid, toss everything together; garnish with PARSLEY and lemon wedges; serve warm.
PRO TIP: The rice will absorb the liquid during cooking, so be sure to add a few splashes of milk just before serving. This helps the rice maintain its creamy consistency.
I originally published this Chicken Broccoli and Rice recipe on amandascookin.com.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Easy Baked Chicken Leg Drumsticks - 11/16/2019
- 20 Thanksgiving Recipes That are Elegant & Easy…Really! - 11/08/2019
- Sausage Stuffing with Apples - 11/05/2019