Ok guys! First things first. This Southwest Sweet Potato Quinoa Black Bean Chili is not to be mistaken for one of those set-it-and-forget-it slower-cooker recipes. You know, the one you throw together, run away, and return six hours later. If you do that with this recipe, I can assure you’ll be making baby food.
Southwest Sweet Potato Quinoa Black Bean Chili
No way…this chili recipe is not like the other guys…it’s done in 60 minutes…in the slow cooker…and you can still tell what you’re eating when it’s done!
Ok, got that off my chest.
Now, about this recipe. Man o’ man…this is my favorite, cold-weather, vegan chili to cook in the background of my busy, Monday evening rituals before heading off the gym.
Here’s how it works:
- chop and sauté some garlic, onion, and celery.
- chop sweet potatoes.
- open the canned black beans, veggie stock, and frozen corn, and prepare the seasonings.
- throw everything into the slow-cooker.
- lock it, turn it on HIGH, do a bunch of other stuff and get ready for Monday night at the gym.
- The chili’s done in one hour…so, when 60 minutes is up, check the sweet potatoes for softness, pull the plug on the slow-cooker, and out the door I go to the gym.
That’s it! It doesn’t get any simpler than that!
Of course, after my gym fix, I come home and eat this awesome, warm, comfy-bumfy, Southwest-spicy, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, bowl of chili awesomeness! Daaaaang, that’s a lot of descriptors, but it’s so well-deserved.
Oh and let’s not forget to talk texture! Becaaaaaause…since we’re only cooking this beauty for an hour in the slow cooker, here’s what happens:
- the sweet potatoes have not turned into baby food
- the black beans have not turned into bean dip
- the quinoa has not disintegrated
- the sauce has a perfect, chipotle-spiced, chili texture with the right amount of savory-sweetness [oh my!]
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- olive oil
- green onions
- sweet potato
- canned black beans
- reduced-sodium vegetable stock
- frozen corn
- dry quinoa
- chipotle in adobo sauce
- chili powder
- dried onion
- salt and pepper
With the super-bowl fast-approaching, there’s still time to throw this one in the mix! Serve it up with grilled cheese (love this on my fav San Luis Obispo Cracked Wheat Sourdough Bread). I realize that doing this kinda kills the vegan vibe, but I’m a sometimes vegan, remember? And just know that this chili is even better on day number two…and three.
Have you seen my other healthy, chili and soup recipes?
Yep, I have a Meatless Lentil Chili and an Accidentally Awesome Vegan Chili with No Weird Ingredients. Both are easy and amazing! Trust me, you won’t care that there’s no heavy ingredients in these healthy, cold-weather dishes.
Be sure to check out my Fall Apart Chicken Vegetable Crockpot Soup recipe for my secret to juicy, slow cooker chicken that doesn’t dry out.
Cheers to football season, clean-eating comfort food…and always to our health.
About my recipes: MORE plant, LESS animal...that's my jam.