This White Bean Chicken Chili is a true dump-and-stir Crockpot recipe that requires no pre-cooking. Slow cook on either Low or High setting...both yield full-flavored results. This white chicken chili recipe uses boneless chicken thighs, white beans, green chilis, fresh veggies, and chicken broth.
White Bean Chicken Chili for Crockpot
Do you love to toss a bunch of ingredients into a slow cooker, cover it, set the cooking time, and go do ALL the things? Me too!!
Don't you also love when you eat a scrumptious dinner and find yourself with leftovers to eat for a couple of days? Me too!!
Here's what else I really love about this white chicken chili...
- This recipe uses simple, everyday ingredients that can be found at your everyday grocery store.
- The prep time takes 15 minutes, so NO pre-cooking anything. It’s a dump-and-stir recipe!
- You can make it any season...who doesn’t love chili any time of the year?!
Ok, what is White Chicken Chili?
White chicken chili, or white bean chicken chili, is Southwest/Mexican-inspired chili made with chicken, white beans, green chilis, vegetables, chicken broth, and seasonings.
You can easily make it without chicken, but in any case, white chicken chili is usually much lighter in color, a yellowish-white, as opposed to the deep red color you see with more traditional chili.
White chicken chili is usually seasoned with cumin and, as mentioned earlier, green chilis, giving it a distinct Mexican / Southwest flavor. Yum...I can taste it now!
What makes this white bean chili recipe a dump and stir?
Often, slow cooker recipes require you to sear the meat in cookware, separate from the slow cooker, which adds steps and dirties up an extra dish.
This chili recipe does not require that.
In fact, once your vegetables are cut (you can buy them pre-cut), all of the ingredients literally get tossed into the crockpot, covered with a lid, and set to either LOW or HIGH temperature settings.
Pro recipes tips for white bean chicken chili
Tip #1: If you want it to be a true dump-and-stir slow cooker recipe, use boneless, skinless, chicken thighs. These literally fall-apart during cooking and stirring, and they make the juiciest, most tender chicken chili.
Tip #2: Opt for reduced-sodium chicken broth and no salt added beans. This way, you’re in complete control of the salt content.
Tip #3: Mash up one of the cans of beans to help develop a naturally creamier consistency; this avoids adding unnecessary extra ingredients as thickeners.
Tip #4: Don't skip the suggested garnish ingredients (cilantro, jalapeños, sour cream, lime, etc). They literally take this chili from delicious to outstanding!
White Bean Chicken Chili Ingredients:
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs (uncooked)
- reduced-sodium chicken broth
- can reduced-sodium white beans
- canned diced green chilis
- fresh garlic
- cumin, chili powder, oregano
- salt and pepper
- frozen corn
- any garnish ingredients (cilantro, lime, avocado, jalapeños, sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips)
* See full recipe below
Recommended kitchen tools
- chef knife
- cutting board
- can opener
- garlic press
- slow cooker (the newer version of my vintage crockpot)
Check out this vintage Crockpot brand slow cooker I picked up at the thrift store for $10!
I was super stoked to find it. They just don't make them like they used to!
I know that the vintage cookers don't let you take out the ceramic insert, but I'll sacrifice that feature any day.
This slow cooker truly cooks slower than some of these newer slow cookers.
Grab these busy-weeknight recipes!
White Bean Chicken Chili
- 1 Lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs uncooked
- 4 cups Reduced sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 15oz cans Reduced-sodium Cannellini Beans drained, one mashed
- 1 4.5oz can Diced Green Chilis
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion diced
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Corn frozen, canned, or fresh
- In a 3.5 quart slow cooker, combine CHICKEN, CHICKEN BROTH, BEANS, GREEN CHILI'S, ONION, CELERY, GARLIC, CUMIN, CHILI POWDER, OREGANO, SALT, and PEPPER.
- *Set slow cooker to high for 2 hours or low for 4-6 hours.
- 30 minutes before cook cycle ends, stir in CORN, cover, and allow to heat through; serve warm with topping options: cilantro, lime, avocado, jalapeños, sour cream, or cheese
- White Chili Hot Tip: If you mash some of the beans, they'll help thicken the chili naturally.Note: Crockpot cooking times can vary depending on age, size, and features, so make sure you’re well acquainted with the heating/timing tendencies of your cooker.
I originally published this White Chicken Chili Recipe on amandascookin.com in JAN 2019