I want to let you in on one of my favorite 5-minute recipes. It’s my Chickpea Avocado Salad and it might just become your new favorite vegan recipe…even if you're not vegan.
Chickpea Avocado Salad
I have no restrictions, but that never stops me from improving my diet by developing recipes that fall into restricted categories.
I’m always on a mission to:
- reduce animal product consumption
- ramp up the protein and fiber in my diet
- make healthier food that’s so yummy, there’s no room for prejudice
Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, are one of my favorite vehicles for this!
The Chickpea Avocado Smash delivers it all. It’s vegetarian, vegan, full of fiber and protein, AND it's gluten-free…unless you serve it open-faced on sandwich bread, which I sometimes do. But it's super delicious all by itself.
The smash is what’s for breakfast, lunch, or even light party appetizers. It makes the perfect filling for mini lettuce wraps.
The filling comes together in 5 minutes or less. It’s so easy, even the kids can smash.
You can use it as an eggless Egg Salad, or add hard-boiled eggs for added protein, but realize you lose the vegan factor. But you knew that already.
So, in usual form, I've done plenty of smash testing to present you with your (hopefully) new favorite recipe. I have sustained many, many last-minute lunches with this 5-minute, vegan number.
If you're not a fan of either avocado or peas, just leave them out and reduce the aioli and dijon by half. I've made a simple Chickpea Smash for years and loved it just the same.
You can make Chickpea Smash a few days in advance of your busy week or big event.
Cheers to simple, nutritious ingredients and always to your health!
Chickpea Avocado Salad
- 1 15-oz can Chickpeas drained and lightly chopped
- 1 Avocado loosely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas thawed
- Combine CHICKPEAS (garbanzo beans), AVOCADO, DIJON, SALT, and PEPPER in a medium-sized bowl.
- Gently smash with a potato masher to desired consistency
- Fold in PEAS
- Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Serve chilled.
- You could play with other ingredients such as tomatoes, fresh herbs, lemon juice, onions, and if you don't have animal product restrictions, you can add bacon, cheese, or hard-boiled eggs.