These comfort food nachos are made with Mexican brown rice topping and generous vegetables. Inexpensive, healthy, easy to make and delicious!
What I love about this nacho topping
- not a processed meat substitute
- full of fiber and nutrients
- light on sodium
- easy to make
- great for nachos, burritos and enchiladas
- the perfect vehicle for my LowFat Avocado Ranch Dressing
I bet you have your own favorite way of assembling nachos, but...
Here is my nacho-flow, step-by-step:
- Cook the Mexican Brown Rice filling [according to recipe below] and allow to cool slightly
- Turn your oven broiler to HIGH and place a bunch of tortilla chips on a baking sheet
- Shred a modest amount of your favorite cheese over the chips [we like White Cheddar]
- Broil the chips and cheese on the middle rack for 1-3 minutes; careful not to burn, you just want it melted enough
- Remove baking sheet [with oven mitts] and spoon a healthy amount of Brown Rice filling over the chips
- Add toppings such as my LowFat Avocado-Ranch Dressing, Sour Cream, Tomatoes, Onions, Cilantro and fresh Lime juice squeezed all over the nachos
- Seriously, don't forget the fresh Cilantro and Lime [unless your allergic to either]
- Eat the heavenly nachos…but, remember to breathe and chew your food slowly
If brown rice isn’t your thing, just try this recipe once…the rice is cooked with multiple ingredients so it absorbs ALL those flavors. My white-rice-lovin man LOVED it! You can always substitute other grains like white rice or quinoa, just be sure to adjust the water:grain ratio and the cooking time accordingly.
I hope you enjoy every moment today! Cheers to meatless meals and to your health!
Mexican Brown Rice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 medium White Onion diced
- 1 Serrano Pepper diced
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 cup Short Grain Brown Rice rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups Reduced-Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 4 Roma Tomatoes diced
- 1 cup Corn fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- In a 3-quart pot over medium heat, heat OLIVE OIL until shimmering (about 2 minutes)
- Add ONION, SERRANO PEPPER, and GARLIC and sauté until slightly tender (about 2 minutes)
- Add BROWN RICE and sauté long enough to release a toasted fragrance (2-3 minutes)
- Add VEGETABLE BROTH, TOMATOES, CORN, TACO SEASONING, GARLIC POWDER, SALT, CHILI POWDER, CUMIN, BLACK PEPPER, and CAYENNE PEPPER
- Increase heat to med-high and bring all ingredients to a boil
- Allow to boil for about 1 minute, stirring ingredients
- Cover and reduce heat to low
- Continue to heat for 30-40 minutes until rice is tender and liquid has absorbed
- If there's too much liquid, continue to heat with the lid off and stir occasionally until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove from heat, serve over tortilla chips and garnish
- Note: You can add beans to this recipe. Just add them with the veggies before steaming the rice and ingredients.