Vegan Thai Coconut Vegetable Curry is a scrumptious Asian stew with a medium heat level and distinct Thai flavors. Loads of everyday vegetables are simmered in Thai red coconut curry sauce. This plant-based comfort food is ready in 30 minutes and meal-prep friendly!
Vegan Thai Coconut Vegetable Curry
This vegetable curry is one of the first recipes published to my blog.
I’ve made it for years and the story is always the same. It’s easy, downright delicious Asian comfort food!
It’s loaded with fresh vegetables, a few canned ingredients, and couldn’t be easier to make…in 30 minutes!
I also think of this as a cheater curry because you’re not making the actual curry seasoning from scratch. Instead, we’re using Thai curry paste (and not Indian curry powder).
Let’s talk about that for a sec.
Curry paste vs. Curry Powder
The two curries are not interchangeable.
CURRY PASTE is used in Thai cooking.
Thai chili pepper, lemongrass, galanga, and kaffir lime peel, give it that distinct Thai flavor. It’s usually available at grocery stores in the Asian section.
There is a Thai curry powder, which is a powdered version of the seasonings in Thai curry paste.
It’s not available in most grocery stores. You’ll find it at your International grocer, as well as online.
CURRY POWDER is used in Indian cooking.
Common ingredients include golden turmeric, coriander, ginger, fenugreek, and chili peppers, and create distinct Indian flavors.
This curry powder in the spice section at any grocery store (and probably already in your pantry).
Just remember, this is NOT the curry powder we’re using in this Thai Curry recipe.
How to make vegetable coconut curry
Step 1. Saute vegetables in a soup pot (you can use pre-cut vegetables).
Step 2. Add tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, and curry paste.
Step 3. increase heat to bring everything just to a boil.
Step 4. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer.
Step 5. About 5 minutes before serving, fold in fresh kale and allow it to steam.
Step 6. Stir in lime zest and juice; serve warm over rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
* see full recipe below
What I love about Thai vegetable curry
- takes only 30 minutes to make
- vegan AND gluten-free
- made with everyday veggies available at most grocery stores
- chickpeas give it added nutrition, texture, fiber, and flavor
- uses Asian pantry staples available in most grocery stores (like coconut oil and coconut milk)
Thai vegetable curry recipe tips:
- You can buy pre-cut veggies and shave time off your food prep. You can also substitute frozen vegetables for fresh vegetables.
- Curry paste is canned and comes in red, yellow, and green varieties. You can use any one of them for this recipe.
- Do not use Indian curry powder for this recipe [discussed earlier in this article].
- This recipe calls for canned diced tomatoes, but you can substitute an equal amount of fresh tomatoes.
- You can substitute ANY vegetables you like for this recipe.
- The kale in this recipe can easily be substituted for other greens, like fresh spinach.
Vegan Thai Coconut Vegetable Curry Ingredients:
- coconut oil
- green onion
- fresh garlic
- canned diced tomatoes
- Thai curry paste or Thai curry powder
- canned chickpeas
- canned coconut milk (I often use this lite coconut milk)
- Kosher salt (optional)
- fresh kale
- lime zest and juice
Tools needed to make this recipe:
- chef knife
- cutting board
- 11″ stainless steel fry pan or a 3.5 qt saucepot
- Large spoon
- serving ladle (stainless steel)
More Asian vegan recipes
Vegan Thai Coconut Vegetable Curry
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Green Onions sliced; keep white bulb and green stalk separate
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 1 cup Cauliflower chopped
- 1 cup Broccoli chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms chopped
- 3 Tbsp Curry Paste or 3 Tbsp Thai Curry Powder
- 1 15oz can Low Sodium Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can No Salt Diced Tomatoes drained; keep juice to adjust consistency later, if needed
- 1 15oz can Coconut Milk
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt optional
- 2 cups Kale chopped
- 1 Lime zested and juiced
- In a 3-quart skillet or soup pot, heat COCONUT OIL over medium heat until shimmering (about 2 minutes).
- Add GREEN ONION bulb (the white part) GARLIC, and CARROTS; saute until tender and fragrant, stirring as needed (2-4 minutes).
- Add BROCCOLI and CAULIFLOWER; saute until slightly tender, stirring as needed (2-4 minutes).
- Stir in CURRY PASTE, tossing to coat vegetables.
- Add TOMATOES, COCONUT MILK, and CHICKPEAS; increase heat to HIGH and heat until the liquid starts bubbling. Note: If more liquid is needed, stir in the canned tomato juice you reserved.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes until heated through, stirring as needed.
- Add the KALE (or other greens); cover and simmer a few minutes to wilt the kale.
- Serve warm over rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice. Garnish with green onions, lime wedges, and Thai basil.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are estimates based on unbranded ingredients acquired from a nutrition database. For accurate calculations, please refer to brand packaging information and consult your nutritionist.