Vegan potato salad with tender potatoes, crunchy dill pickles, and crisp celery, in a creamy Dill Dijon vinaigrette. This easy potato salad recipe is a refreshing side dish for BBQ picnics. Recipe includes Instant Pot and stove instructions.
Potato Salad [No Mayo]
Potato salad with no mayo is an unexpectedly delish BBQ side dish. If you love potato salad and no mayo is your thing, you'll love this easy potato salad with its Dijon-spiced vinaigrette.
Vegan potato salad ingredients
** see full recipe below
- dill pickles
- green onions
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar (or white vinegar)
- fresh dill
- fresh garlic
- salt & pepper
- (garnish) fresh parsley
What are the best potatoes for potato salad?
Yukon potatoes and red potatoes have high-moisture content and waxy skin which makes a creamy potato salad.
Russets, on the other hand, are starchier, drier, and fluffier, which lend to being baked or mashed. You might want Russets with my loaded baked potato salad. but any potatoes will work.
How to make potato salad with no mayo
Simple! Replace mayo-based dressing with a vinaigrette or plant-based creamy dressing. My vegan potato salad recipe uses a creamy Dijon vinaigrette made with olive oil and white wine vinegar. If you like a more traditional creamy mayo texture but want no mayo potato salad, I recommend using this vegan mayo.
Here's how I make potato salad
* See full recipe instructions below
- Dice the potatoes (peeled or unpeeled).
- Cook the potatoes in the Instant Pot or on the stove.
- Meanwhile, chop other ingredients and make the dressing.
- Combine all ingredients with the dressing and gently toss to coat.
- Cover and chill a few hours before serving.
Vegan potato recipes
Vegan side dish recipes
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Italian Vegan Pasta Salad
- Mango Salsa
- Garlicky Oven Roasted Mushrooms
- Black Bean and Corn Avocado Salsa
- Easy Italian Marinated Mushrooms
- chef knife
- cutting board
- large colander to drain the potatoes
- large and small mixing bowls
- storage containers to chill/store the finished product.
Vegan Potato Salad
For the potato salad
- 3 lbs Potatoes 8 cups diced (peeled or not)
- 1 stalk Celery diced
- 1/2 cup Kosher Dill Pickles diced
- 2 Green Onions finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Parsley finely chopped
For the Dill Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh Dill chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dijon
- 1 clove Garlic finely grated
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
To cook potatoes on the stove
- Boil POTATOES in 3 quarts water and 1 tsp salt for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain water from the potatoes.
To cook potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Place POTATOES in the Instant Pot with 1 cup WATER and 1 tsp SALT.
- Close the lid, turn pressure knob to “Sealing” and pressure cook on HIGH for 4 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release (NPR).
- Carefully turn the pressure valve to fully depressurize the pot, open the lid, remove potatoes, and drain.
Assemble potato salad
- In a large mixing bowl, combine POTATOES, CELERY, PICKLES, and ONIONS; cover and refrigerate.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk OLIVE OIL, VINEGAR, DIJON, FRESH DILL, GARLIC, SALT, and PEPPER until creamy.
- Gently fold dressing into potatoes; garnish with fresh PARSLEY. Cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.