Totchos are tater tot nachos made with a crispy potato base piled with classic Mexican ingredients. This nachos recipe is customizable with endless topping options. Serve totchos on the game day menu, parties, or any weeknight dinner, and watch them fly off the platter!
What are totchos?
Totchos are nachos made with tater tots instead of tortilla chips! Hats off to those frozen potatoes and the trashy reputation they rode in on. I mean, we love to hate them, because we love them so. Trust me, you want this epic, cheat-day appetizer in your arsenal for any game day event. They always flyyyy off the plate! So, grab this totchos recipe, make it yours, and be the person who gets remembered for great things.
How to make Totchos
Just like nachos, Totchos are easy to make and fun to eat. If you know how to make tater tots, you'll crush tater tot nachos!
Visit recipe card below 👇🏼 for printable amounts and instructions
- Bake tater tots following package instructions (usually 450° for 20-25 min).
- Remove tots from the oven. Keep the oven on.
- Transfer tots to an oven-safe serving platter OR use the same baking sheet.
- Scatter non-produce ingredients over tater tots. We used shredded cheddar, black beans, and bacon for this recipe.
- Return tots to the oven for 3-5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Scatter tomatoes, avocado, lime crema drizzle, cilantro, jalapeño, green onion over the tots.
- Serve warm...and watch them disappear!
Totchos Recipe Tips
The key to making totchos quick and easy is to prep the topping ingredients a day (or two) ahead of the event. Refrigerate each ingredient individually in small airtight storage containers. I stack mine on a baking sheet or in a plastic bin for convenient transfer and to not forget any ingredients when I’m making nachos. Here's my prep list:
1-2 days ahead:
- shred the cheddar (or use pre-shredded)
- rinse & drain black beans
- make bacon bits (or buy packaged)
- make lime crema (mix sour cream and lime juice)
- slice tomatoes, green onions, and jalapeño
Same day (for optimal freshness):
- dice avocado
- chop cilantro
- bake tater tots
Keep the tater tots warm during the nacho-making process
When the tater tots come out of the oven, it's GO time for the totchos. Keep things moving along and don't let the tots cool down.
The reason...even though they're going right back to the oven to melt the cheese, you might overcook the cheese OR the tater tots trying to warm the tots back up. I’ve done it, and yes, you can overdo tater tots. Hard to believe, I know.
Make extra nacho recipe toppings and turn them into other meals
When you prep the toppings, make extra toppings and turn them into other meals. We make about three times the amount of toppings called for in this nachos recipe. Then, we meal prep those toppings into our favorite chopped Mexican salads...or into a few epic breakfasts. Trust me, this breakfast is better than anything we’ll order at a restaurant.
Tater Tot Nacho Toppings List
Just like my Steak Nachos Supreme, you can decorate your nachos with any toppings your heart desires. This list includes my favorite mix of ingredients for fresh, classic, Mexican flavor. The sky is the limit with endless topping options!
- tater tots - I like to buy frozen tater tots in 5lb bags when I’m making these for a party. It's amazing how fast 2 pounds of them disappear for one round of totchos!
- shredded cheddar cheese - Shred your own cheddar or buy it packaged. Feel free to substitute different cheeses for the cheddar.
- black beans - I like to use reduced-sodium canned black beans for totchos whenever possible. Thoroughly drain and rinse them. Sometimes I'll warm them in the microwave before piling them on the nachos.
- bacon - We use the oven-baked method for preparing bacon bits during the colder months. We do this day or two in advance of making tater tot nachos (or any nachos). Bacon stores nicely in the refrigerator and makes totcho day super convenient…uhm, and delicious!
- cherry tomatoes - these add such a fresh touch to totchos! Especially when they're combined with the other classic Mexican toppings like cilantro, jalapeño, and lime.
- avocado - nothing better than a beautiful, ripe avocado garnish on nachos. It adds color, flavor, and nutrients galore to nachos.
- sour cream - We love full-fat sour cream for this recipe. We also love to blend it with lime juice to make it easier to drizzle over the totchos. It's also called lime crema.
- lime - As mentioned above, we combine this with the sour cream to make a the lime crema drizzle. Fresh lime juice (as opposed to packaged) is highly recommended, but use what you have on hand.
- Cilantro - Fresh cilantro…always!
- jalapeno - Slice these very thin and scatter them as a topping so your guests can enjoy spicy moments in their totchos, or pick them off if they don’t like them.
- green onions - I tend to only use the greenest part of green onions (not the white part) for tater tot nachos. They’re milder than the white part and act more like a garnish.
Other Totcho Topping Options
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Taco Seasoned Turkey and Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- 5 Minute Blender Salsa
- Peach Salsa
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- 5 Minute Refried Beans
- taco-seasoned beef
- red or green bell pepper
- grilled corn
- pickled jalapeno peppers
- red onion
- chef knife and cutting board (for produce)
- small mixing bowl (for lime crema)
- baking sheet (to bake tots)
- box grater (to shred cheddar)
- oven mitts
- serving utensil
- airtight storage containers
Grab these easy Mexican recipes
- Chicken Tacos
- 5-Minute Homemade Salsa Recipe
- Steak Nachos Supreme
- Loaded Black Bean Dip
- Peach Salsa
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
Totchos Tater Tot Nachos
- 8 cups Frozen Tater Tots or 2 lb.
- 1 - 15 oz can Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese 4 oz shredded
- 1/4 cup Bacon about 3 slices crumbled
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Lime juiced
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 Avocado diced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 fresh Jalapeno sliced and seeded
- 1 Green onion sliced
Bake the tater tots
- Bake frozen TATER TOTS following package instructions (typically 450° for 20-25 min).
Assemble the Totchos
- Remove tots from oven and scatter BLACK BEANS, CHEDDAR CHEESE, and BACON over the surface. Return tots to the oven to melt the cheese (about 3 minutes).
- Meanwhile, whisk together SOUR CREAM and LIME JUICE (aka lime crema) in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove totchos from the oven and scatter TOMATOES, AVOCADO, LIME CREMA, CILANTRO, JALAPENO, and GREEN ONION.
- Serve warm…and watch them disappear!
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.