This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This delicious stir fry vegetables recipe is made with everyday vegetables sauteed with simple Chinese black bean sauce. The sweet, spicy, and savory flavors will make you want to eat ALL your vegetables!
Are you a confident home cook of Chinese food? If so, stay awesome! If not, grab this EASY stir fry vegetable recipe and discover the hidden Chinese cook in you! This recipe is loaded with fresh, everyday vegetables found in most grocery stores. The black bean Chinese pan sauce is as easy as whisking a few ingredients in a bowl and sauteing it with the vegetables.
Stir fry ingredients
- avocado oil - or other oil
- Chinese eggplant
- green onions
- fresh ginger
- fresh garlic
- red bell pepper
- bok choy
Black bean sauce ingredients
- packaged black bean garlic sauce
- rice cooking wine or dry sherry
- brown sugar
- chili garlic sauce
What is Chinese black bean sauce
Black bean sauce is a Chinese sauce made with fermented black soybeans (not the black beans used in Mexican food). You can use this recipe for black bean sauce as a more authentic Chinese ingredient. However, I enjoy using packaged black bean and garlic sauce enhanced with other ingredients to make my own shortcut sauce, as you'll see in my recipe below.
How to make this recipe
- Chop the veggies and whisk together black bean sauce ingredients.
- Sauté the veggies in a large skillet or wok until slightly tender.
- Add black bean sauce to the veggies and heat a few minutes until it's thickened and warmed through.
- Serve stir fry veggies over rice, rice noodles, or zucchini noodles.
Do you need a wok to make stir fry vegetables?
No. You can use any skillet to make veggie stir fry. It doesn't even have to be nonstick! Just make sure it’s big enough to fit ALL the veggies.
What veggies are best for stir fry?
There are no limitations to the variety of vegetables you can use in a stir fry.
- snow peas or snap peas
- broccoli or cauliflower
- leafy greens
- bell peppers
- green beans
Meal prep instructions
- Divide cooked stir fry vegetables and rice into meal prep containers (about 1 cup vegetables and ½ cup of rice)
- Add a side of Asian slaw with sliced fresh fruit.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- To reheat, microwave on a medium setting in 1-minute increments until warmed through, stirring as needed.
How long will stir fry veggies last?
Your stir fry leftovers are best enjoyed within 3 days if stored in airtight containers. I do not recommend freezing this entree because it softens the texture of the vegetables and makes them watery when thawed.
Easy Asian recipes
- Thai Peanut Zucchini Noodles
- Kale Sesame Noodles
- Spicy Asian Cucumber Salad
- Turmeric Chickpea Buddha Bowl
- Vegetable Lo Mein Noodles
- Thai Coconut Soup
- Vegan Thai Lentil Chickpea Curry
Easy Stir Fry Vegetables (with black bean sauce)
Black Bean Sauce: (makes ¼ cup)
- 3 tablespoons Avocado Oil or any neutral flavored oil
- 1 large Chinese Eggplant chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 Green Onions sliced; green and white part separated
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ginger grated
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- ½ large Red Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 2 small Zucchini chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 bulbs Bok Choy leaves separated and bulb chopped
- small mixing bowl
- 12 inch skillet or wok
For the black bean sauce: (makes ¼ cup)
- In a small bowl, whisk together packaged BLACK BEAN SAUCE, RICE COOKING WINE, WATER, BROWN SUGAR, and CHILI GARLIC SAUCE; set aside.
For the stir fry vegetables:
- Preheat a large skillet or wok over med-high heat.
- Combine EGGPLANT and 1 TBSP OIL in mixing bowl. Toss to coat.
- Add EGGPLANT to preheated skillet. Sauté until tender and lightly browned, tossing as needed. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining OIL. Add GREEN ONIONS (white part only), GINGER, and GARLIC. Sauté a few minutes until slightly tender, stirring as needed.
- Add BELL PEPPER, ZUCCHINI, and BOK CHOY; sauté under tender, stirring as needed.
- Add EGGPLANT back to vegetables; stir in BLACK BEAN SAUCE, reduce heat to low and simmer a few minutes until veggies are warmed through and sauce thickens.
- Serve warm over rice, Asian noodles, or zoodles. Garnish with sliced GREEN ONION tops.
- Store in airtight container up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Click stars to vote. Please visit 'Comments' below for reviews.