This Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup Recipe is a scrumptious, Mexican vegan soup made with fresh, everyday veggies, black beans, pintos, tomatoes, and southwest seasonings. Tortilla soup takes 10 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook, making it perfect for busy weeknights!
Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup
Guys…this is one of my favorite, vegan soups of all time!
Well, next to my Meatless Lentil Chili, that is.
Both are crazy easy and ridiculously delicious!
It’s so great that we can whip up this vegan tortilla soup in only 30 minutes!
I especially love that it uses everyday, fresh vegetables, like onions, bell peppers, and carrots (which I always have laying around).
I also have pantry ingredients like canned beans and canned tomatoes on hand at all times too.
Don’t skimp on the garnishes (cilantro, lime, avocado, and tortilla strips).
I mean, the soup is good, but it won’t be over-the-top amazing until you garnish it with those classic toppings.
Honestly, this whole combination gives this tortilla soup the savory, spicy, sour, salty, and bitter flavors that will literally make anyone forget they’re not eating meat!
How to make this tortilla soup recipe
Step 1. chop the veggies and open the canned ingredients
Step 2. saute the veggies; then add the canned ingredients, broth, and seasonings
Step 3. bring to a boil, then simmer
Step 4. bake the tortilla strips (or use tortilla chips)
Step 5. chop other garnish ingredients
* See full recipe below
How do you make tortilla strips?
Step 1. slice corn tortillas into thin strips
Step 2. toss in oil and seasonings
Step 3. bake 400° for 10 minutes (shake em up at the 5-minute mark)
Step 4. allow to cool, and try to not eat them all before using them in the soup
Here are my favorite things about this vegan soup:
- it’s vegan AND gluten-free
- healthy comfort food that’s really healthy and really comforting
- made with budget-friendly everyday ingredients
- made with reduced-sodium ingredients
- crazy easy to make
- make-ahead…eat all week
- can be frozen and reheated so easily
Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup Recipe Ingredients
- extra virgin olive oil
- red onion
- red bell pepper
- reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- reduced-sodium diced tomatoes or Rotel
- reduced sodium black beans
- reduced sodium pinto beans
- corn (canned, fresh, or frozen)
- chipotle powder
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
Kitchen tools I use for this recipe:
Other healthy VEGAN soup recipes
Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 large Red Onion diced
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 large Carrot chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic finely grated
- 1/4 tsp ground Cumin
- 4 cups reduced-sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 15-oz can Reduced Sodium Diced Tomatoes keep juice
- 1 15-oz can Reduced Sodium Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can Reduced Sodium Pinto Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Frozen Corn thawed speeds the cooking time
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- In a 5 qt soup pot on medium-high heat, heat OLIVE OIL until it shimmers (about 2 minutes).
- Add ONION, BELL PEPPER, CARROT, and GARLIC; sauté until fragrant and tender; stirring as needed (about 3 minutes).
- Stir CUMIN into vegetables and sauté a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add VEGETABLE BROTH, DICED TOMATOES; BLACK BEANS, PINTO BEANS, CORN, OREGANO, CHIPOTLE POWDER, SALT, AND PEPPER; bring just to a boil; lower heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring as needed; serve warm.
- Garnish with crumbled tortilla chips or baked tortilla strips (see recipe in the blogpost), cilantro, lime, jalapeño, and avocado.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are estimates based on unbranded ingredients acquired from a nutrition database. For accurate calculations, please refer to brand packaging information and consult your nutritionist.