An easy vegan AND vegetarian tortilla soup made with fresh veggies, beans, diced tomatoes, and Mexican seasonings. Everyday vegetables and pantry staples make this bean soup budget-friendly and weeknight-approved. There’s so much flavor packed in a Mexican vegan soup, even carnivores love it!
Mexican Tortilla Soup
Guys…this is one of my favorite soups of all time! And it’s so easy to make it meatless!
It calls for everyday, fresh vegetables, like onions, bell peppers, and carrots, which I always have on hand.
I always have pantry ingredients like canned beans and canned tomatoes too.
The Mexican toppings need to be acquired when you make tortilla soup. The flavors you get from piling on cilantro, lime, avocado, and tortilla strips are what distinguish this as a classic Mexican bean soup and take it over the top!
This whole ingredient combination gives this tortilla soup the savory, spicy, sour, salty, and bitter flavors that will literally make anyone forget they’re not eating meat!
How to make vegan tortilla soup
Step 1. Saute the veggies in a soup pot; then add the canned ingredients, broth, and seasonings.
Step 2. Bring everything to a boil, then simmer.
Step 3. Pre and bake the tortilla strips (or use packaged tortilla chips).
Step 4. Serve vegan tortilla soup warm, topped with tortilla strips, avocado, lime, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper.
* See full recipe below
How to make tortilla strips for tortilla soup
Step 1. Slice corn tortillas into thin strips.
Step 2. Toss in oil and seasonings.
Step 3. Bake 400° for 10 minutes (shake em up at the 5-minute mark).
Step 4. Allow to cool, and try to not eat them all before using them in the soup.
* See full recipe below
My favorite things about Vegan / Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- not just vegan, it’s gluten-free too!
- healthy comfort food that’s really healthy and really comforting
- made with budget-friendly everyday ingredients (onions, peppers, carrots, garlic, beans, broth, and seasonings)
- made with reduced-sodium ingredients
- crazy easy to make
- make-ahead and eat all week, or freeze and reheat anytime
Vegan Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- extra virgin olive oil
- red onion
- red bell pepper
- reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- reduced-sodium diced tomatoes or Rotel
- reduced-sodium black beans
- reduced-sodium pinto beans
- corn (canned, fresh, or frozen)
- chipotle powder
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
Other healthy VEGAN soup recipes
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 large Red Onion diced
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 large Carrot chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic finely grated
- 1/4 tsp ground Cumin
- 4 cups reduced-sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 14.5-oz can No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes keep juice
- 1 15-oz can Reduced Sodium Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can Reduced Sodium Pinto Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Frozen Corn thawed speeds the cooking time
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- In a 3 qt soup pot on medium-high heat, heat OLIVE OIL until it shimmers (about 2 minutes).
- Add ONION, BELL PEPPER, CARROT, and GARLIC; sauté until fragrant and tender; stirring as needed (about 3 minutes).
- Stir CUMIN into vegetables and sauté a few minutes until fragrant. (This toasts the cumin and gives it deeper flavor).
- Add VEGETABLE BROTH, DICED TOMATOES; BLACK BEANS, PINTO BEANS, CORN, OREGANO, CHIPOTLE POWDER, SALT, AND PEPPER; bring just to a boil; lower heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring as needed; serve warm.
- Garnish with crumbled tortilla chips or baked tortilla strips (see recipe in the blogpost), cilantro, lime, jalapeño, and avocado.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Easy Baked Chicken Leg Drumsticks - 11/16/2019
- 20 Thanksgiving Recipes That are Elegant & Easy…Really! - 11/08/2019
- Sausage Stuffing with Apples - 11/05/2019