Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup is a scrumptious Mexican-inspired soup made with fresh, everyday veggies, black beans, pinto beans, tomatoes, and southwest seasonings. It takes 10 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook. It’s delish right off the stove, but of course, it’s even better the next day! Just like my Southwest Sweet Potato Quinoa Black Bean Chili.
Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup
Guys…this is one of my favorite, vegan soups of all time. Well, next to my Meatless Lentil Chili, that is. Both are crazy easy and ridiculously delicious!
I love being able to whip up this vegan tortilla soup in only 30 minutes!
I especially love that it uses everyday, fresh vegetables, like onions, bell peppers, and carrots. I always have those laying around.
I also have pantry ingredients like canned beans and canned tomatoes on hand at all times too.
If you don’t have garnish ingredients such as cilantro, lime, avocado, and tortilla chips or baked strips, the soup is good, but it won’t be over-the-top amazing until you garnish it. If you have a cilantro-hater on your team, it’s all good, just leave it off their helping.
Just don’t skimp on the garnishes I mentioned…they really make this soup what it is. And, honestly, the whole combination makes meat really forgettable in this soup. Just wait til you taste it!
So, how do you make tortilla soup?
- chop veggies and open canned ingredients
- saute veggies; then add canned ingredients, broth, and seasonings
- bring to boil, then simmer
- bake tortilla strips (or crumble tortilla chips)
- chop other garnish ingredients
How do you bake / make tortilla strips?
- slice corn tortillas into thin strips
- toss in oil and seasonings
- Bake 400° for 10 minutes (shake em up at the 5 minute mark)
- cool; try to not eat them all before using as a garnish
Here are my favorite things about this soup:
- Soooo easy to make
- Make-ahead…eat all week
- Can be frozen, reheated, and stays pretty
- Vegan AND gluten free, for the win
- Healthy comfort food that’s really healthy and really comforting
- Uses budget-friendly, everyday ingredients, great for other recipes
- Uses reduced-sodium ingredients…you control the sodium
Ingredients you’ll need for Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup (see full recipe below for amounts):
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion (1/2 small onion, diced)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (1 medium pepper, diced)
- 1/2 cup carrot (1 large carrot, chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely grated)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 – 15 oz can diced tomatoes or rotel (with juice)
- 1 – 15 oz can reduced sodium black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 – 15 oz can reduced sodium pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen corn (thawed)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
Kitchen tools I use for this recipe
Looking for more healthy VEGAN soup recipes?
* Note: This post has affiliate product links, which means I earn commissions when you purchase using those links (at no extra cost to you). THANK YOU for supporting The Kitchen Girl.