This allergy-friendly hummus recipe without tahini is just as easy as my classic hummus recipe. This zesty chickpea spread is vegan, gluten-free, super easy, and budget-friendly. Meal prep it for a healthy snack on-the-go!
Hummus without Tahini
Calling all healthy dip lovers!
Did you know you could knock down the amount of fat in hummus, but still keep it creamy and dreamy like your favorite homemade or store-bought hummus?
After some dedicated testing, I’ve nailed my go-to recipe for hummus without tahini. It costs under $2.00 to make too…bonus!
This alternative to store-bought hummus is super easy to make ANY season of the year.
I used to think a hummus without tahini would be an earth-shattering disruption. But honestly, the real magic is in the texture you get from a high-powered blender such as the Ninja or NutriBullet. It ends up pretty perfect, actually.
Benefits of hummus with no tahini
- Hummus without tahini reduces the fat, calories, AND carbs compared to a classic hummus recipe.
- When you make homemade hummus, you control the ingredients…so no added, unnecessary preservatives, sweeteners, or additives you’ll find in the store-bought kind.
- Hummus is vegan and gluten-free…not surprising, but always a bonus.
- Costs under $2.00 to make – 99¢ can of chickpeas, a 50¢ lemon, a touch of olive oil, and seasonings. Store-bought hummus is $3.49-4.99 for 8 oz container. Even if it had tahini, it would only add about 50¢ to the cost.
How to make hummus without tahini
Step 1. Combine all ingredients (except chickpea juice) in a food processor or blender
Step 2: Add small amounts of reserved chickpea juice (or water) to adjust consistency to your liking.
Step 3: Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 5 days.
*see full recipe below
Ingredients for Hummus Without Tahini
- canned chickpeas (drained, juice reserved)
- extra virgin olive oil (or sesame oil)
- garlic clove
- kosher salt
- ground cumin
- black pepper
This recipe is all-occasion!
It’s perfect for lunchbox snacks, summer picnics, veggie platters, sandwich throw-downs, tv sports events…you name it!
Btw, kids who love hummus will love this one too!
More healthy dip recipes
Hummus Without Tahini
- In a food processor container or blender, add CHICKPEAS, LEMON JUICE, OLIVE OIL, GARLIC, SALT, CUMIN, and BLACK PEPPER.
- Pulse a few seconds to blend ingredients; remove lid and scrape sides with spatula to help ingredients blend more uniformly; add very small amounts of reserved CHICKPEA JUICE to thin the consistency to your liking.
- Increase blender to a higher speed until desired consistency is reached (usually under 2 minutes)
- Refrigerate in an airtight container up to five days.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Thai Coconut Soup - 12/01/2019
- Pear Cranberry Apple Crisp - 11/26/2019
- 14 Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes They’ll Love (even if they’re not vegan) - 11/24/2019