Quick Pickled Carrots and Daikon are a sweet and sour vegetable condiment most commonly used on the Vietnamese banh mi sandwich. The root vegetables are cut, brined, and can be eaten almost immediately. Their flavors will deepen with a few days in the refrigerator and can be enjoyed as you would any pickled vegetable.
Quick Pickled Carrots and Daikon
When you eat a Vietnamese banh mi sandwich, or my Veggie Quinoa Banh Mi Bowls, no doubt you’re enjoying a gorgeous mix of flavors that make your taste buds dance to the tunes of savory, spicy, sweet, salty, and sour.
What other sandwich on the planet delivers such a full range of flavors? Just yum!
Quick pickled carrots and daikon make up the sweet and sour flavors in that gorgeous stack of ingredients.
The vegetables gain their flavor from a vinegar brine, so probably a little sour to eat straight from a jar (unless you’re a weirdo like me).
What I LOVE about Quick Pickled Carrots and Daikon…or quick pickled anything:
- The finished product is in your hands in under 30 minutes, and becomes even more awesome with some quality time in the fridge.
- No need to use a hot water canning method…just whip these up anytime you need them.
- Enjoy them on any Vietnamese foods that call for that sweet and sour flavah…like my Chicken Banh Mi Sliders or Veggie Banh Mi Bowls.
How do you make Quick Pickled Carrots and Daikon?
Step 1: Shred the carrots and daikon (I use this julienne cutting tool…so easy!)
Check out these solid strands of daikon radish!
Step 2: Then I use a standard vegetable peeler to make these carrot ribbons.
Boom…done in five minutes!
Step 3: Stuff carrots and daikon into sterilized mason jars.
Step 4: Boil vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pour over veggies in jars.
Step 5: Allow to cool for a bit and serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 weeks.
Quick Pickled Carrots and Daikon Ingredients
- 1 cup Carrots (julienne cut or peeler sliced)
- 1 cup Daikon (julienne cut or peeler sliced)
- 1/2 cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
Tools I use to make this recipe
Looking for more easy, make ahead party recipes?
1. Rotisserie Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Cups (Asian)
2. Black Bean Corn Avocado Salsa (Mexican)
3. Easy Marinated Mushrooms (Italian)