How to make McDonald's Shamrock Shake recipe with no food dye. Use fresh spinach or kale for green color and added nutrition in this popular St. Patrick's Day dessert.
Kids love McDonald's shamrock shake and you don't even have to leave the house for this homemade version! This St. Patrick's Day themed mint milkshake is colored green with mint leaves and spinach (or kale) in place of green food dye. Spearmint is said to improve digestion, as well as remedy nausea or headaches, and it makes everything tasty minty fresh! So, win win!
Shamrock Shake Recipe Ingredients
- vanilla ice cream
- 1% milk
- fresh spinach leaves
- spearmint leaves (optional)
- spearmint extract
- (optional) whipped cream
How to make a Shamrock Shake
- Blend together MINT LEAVES, SPINACH, MILK, VANILLA, ICE CREAM, and MINT EXTRACT.
- Serve chilled; garnish with fresh spearmint leaves and (optional) whipped cream.
What flavor is a Shamrock Shake?
Mint (from spearmint) is the classic Shamrock shake flavor, and it's a lot milder than peppermint. I'm using spearmint leaves and spearmint extract for this recipe. You can use peppermint extract, but use it sparingly as it's much stronger than spearmint flavor.
The best blender for a natural mint milkshake
A high speed blender such as Vitamix or NutriBullet or stick blender will puree spinach or kale leaves, making them undetectable. This is great for produce-finicky kids. A classic kitchen blender can make a milkshake, but the produce in this milkshake recipe might not get as pureed as you want.
- high-speed blender (stick blender, NutriBullet or Vitamix)
- ice cream scoop
- milk bottle serving glasses
- paper straws
More St. Pat's Day Recipes
More ice cream recipes
Shamrock Shake Recipe [No Food Dye]
- 2-3 scoops Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- ⅓ cup 1% Milk, or preferred milk
- ¼ cup Fresh Spinach (or Kale)
- 1 sprig Fresh Mint, strip leaves, disgard stem
- 1-3 drops Spearmint Extract, or Peppermint Extract
- optional Whipped Cream
- High speed blender or stick blender
- Blend together ICE CREAM, MILK, SPINACH, MINT LEAVES, and SPEARMINT EXTRACT.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh spearmint leaves and (optional) whipped cream.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.
I originally published this recipe to Amanda's Cookin in January, 2017.