This Shamrock Shake recipe is the homemade version of McDonald’s Shamrock Shake. It’s made with 1% milk, vanilla bean ice cream, vanilla extract, mint extract, spinach, and fresh spearmint leaves. Skip the mysterious green food coloring and DIY this kid-fav St Patrick’s day recipe!
Shamrock Shake Recipe
Kids love the shamrock shake…and parents love healthier ingredients.
This St. Patrick’s Day recipe is colored green with a super healthy food hack…fresh produce. What are we using? Mint leaves and spinach, baby! Using green produce in place of food dye is always an appealing choice.
The spinach and mint leaves add green color and minty flavor. Fresh spearmint is believed to improve digestion, as well as remedy nausea or headaches, and it makes everything tasty minty fresh!
I use full-fat ice cream for this recipe, but I’ve also used frozen yogurt with great results.
This shamrock shake recipe is also made with 1% milk. Let’s just keep that our skinny secret.
Shamrock Shake Tips
Tip #1: Purée the mint leaves and spinach leaves with the milk and vanilla before adding ice cream. These ingredients require more blending than ice cream. If you add everything all at once, you’ll end up cooking the ice cream.
Tip #2: If you want more minty flavor or more green, add more mint or spinach. You probably can’t overdo this one.
Tip #3: You can use a classic kitchen blender for this milkshake, but a high-speed blender will purée the leaves into a finer texture.
How to make a Shamrock Shake
- Blend mint leaves, spinach, milk, and vanilla until leaves are puréed.
- Add ice cream and blend until creamy.
- Add tiny drops of mint extract.
- Pour into serving glass and top with whipped cream and a sprig of mint.
* grab the full recipe instructions below
Shamrock Shake Ingredients
- spearmint leaves
- fresh spinach leaves
- 1% milk
- vanilla extract
- vanilla bean ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt
- spearmint extract (or peppermint)
- (optional) whipped cream
More natural dessert recipes
Shamrock Shake Recipe [No Food Dye]
- 10 Mint Leaves
- 1/4 cup Fresh Spinach Leaves
- 1 cup 1% Milk or any milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 1/2 tsp Spearmint Extract or Peppermint
- optional Whipped Cream
- In a high-speed blender, blend MINT LEAVES, SPINACH, MILK, and VANILLA until leaves are fully pureed; add ICE CREAM and pulse until creamy; (optional) add MINT FLAVORING.
- Serve chilled; garnish with fresh spearmint leaves and (optional) whipped cream.
I originally published this recipe to Amanda’s Cookin in January, 2017.