Homemade Shamrock Shake is a naturally green mint milkshake with no food dye. Use fresh spinach or kale for color and added nutrition.
It's way too easy to make a shamrock shake at home! This St. Patrick's Day themed mint milkshake is colored green with mint leaves and spinach or kale in place of green food dye. Spearmint is said to improve digestion, as well as remedy nausea or headaches, and it makes everything tasty minty fresh! So, it's a win win!
Get ingredient amounts in the printable recipe card below.
- ice cream - use vanilla bean ice cream
- 1% milk - or any milk
- fresh spinach leaves - or kale
- spearmint leaves - fresh mint milkshake
- spearmint extract - or peppermint extract
- whipped cream - canned or homemade
How to make a shamrock shake at home
- Add MINT LEAVES, SPINACH, MILK, VANILLA, ICE CREAM, and MINT EXTRACT to a high speed blender.
- Serve chilled, garnishe with fresh spearmint leaves and whipped cream.
What flavor is a Shamrock Shake?
Mint extract is what gives the classic Shamrock shake a minty flavor. I'm using spearmint leaves and spearmint extract for this recipe. You can use peppermint extract, but use it sparingly as it's much stronger than spearmint flavor.
The best blender for a fresh mint milkshake
A high speed blender such as Vitamix or NutriBullet or stick blender will puree spinach or kale leaves, making them undetectable. This is great for produce-finicky kids. A classic kitchen blender can make a milkshake, but the produce in this milkshake recipe might not get as pureed as you want.
- high-speed blender (stick blender, NutriBullet or Vitamix)
- ice cream scoop
- milk bottle serving glasses
- paper straws
More St. Pat's Day Recipes
- Instant Pot Corned Beef
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef
- Reuben Sandwich
- Corned Beef Hash
- Homemade Coleslaw
- Smashed Potatoes
More ice cream recipes
Homemade Shamrock Shake
- 2-3 scoops Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- ⅓ cup 1% Milk, or preferred milk
- ¼ cup Fresh Spinach (or Kale)
- 1 sprig Fresh Mint, strip leaves, disgard stem
- 1-3 drops Spearmint Extract, or Peppermint Extract
- optional Whipped Cream
- Blend together ICE CREAM, MILK, SPINACH, MINT LEAVES, and SPEARMINT EXTRACT.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh spearmint leaves and (optional) whipped cream.
- high speed blender or immersion blender
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.
I originally published this recipe to Amanda's Cookin in January, 2017.