Sesame Mushroom Quinoa Skillet is a savory, Asian side made with cooked quinoa, mushrooms, green onions, garlic, and tamari (or soy sauce). It’s budget friendly, naturally vegan, and super easy!
Sesame Mushroom Quinoa Skillet
I’d like to officially call January ‘National Quinoa Month’.
I swear, that little protein-packed grain couldn’t be more popular than it is during the new year.
It’s like the perfect, healthy chaser to the holiday food extravaganza.
In the spirit of it all, I’m sharing my recipe for Sesame Mushroom Quinoa with Scallions.
How to make a skillet quinoa side dish
Step 1: Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
Step 2: While that’s happening, saute mushrooms, onions, and garlic.
Step 3: When quinoa is done, add it to the skillet and and saute it with veggies, long enough for it to be warmed through and well-combined.
Step 4: Serve warm. Allow the leftovers to cool completely, then refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days.
What I love about this dish
- It’s vegan and gluten-free!
- Uses 6 simple, always-available ingredients.
- Quinoa has about 8 grams protein per cup. Boom!
- This recipe comes together in 20 minutes.
- Scallions / green onions add so much flavor and texture.
- Makes a perfect lunch or day trip snack. It’s super portable.
- It the perfect side dish that can double as a dinner entrée.
- Can be used for any occasion, any season of the year.
My first introduction to quinoa happened in the mid 90’s.
I couldn’t find anything I liked about it. In fact, I just hated it as a side dish or grain.
Oh, except for one product made by Elizabeth on our kitchen crew…Quinoa Bread.
It was pretty good, but I still wasn’t throwing down on quinoa as a side dish or main dish.
So, I wrote it off. But I always knew I was missing out on a super healthy ingredient…but kinda wasn’t.
Three or four years ago, I started toying with it again. It’s so easy, and healthy, and my taste buds have evolved.
In fact, I don’t think there exists a simpler grain to prepare.
Here’s how to cook quinoa on the stove:
- throw it into a sauce pot
- add water
- bring to a boil
- and cover and simmer for about 15 minutes
Ri.dic.u.lous.ly easy…everybody’s got time for that!
Do you have a fav quinoa recipe? Comment below or snap your dish and tag me @thekitchengirl on instagram…I’d love to see what you’re up to!
Sesame Mushroom Quinoa Ingredients:
- sesame oil
- green onions
- tamari or soy sauce
Tools I use for this recipe:
Sesame Mushroom Quinoa Skillet
- 1 cup Uncooked Quinoa rinsed
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 4 cups Mushrooms quartered
- 4 Green Onions sliced thin
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1-2 tsp Tamari or Soy Sauce reduced sodium
- Cook QUINOA according to package instructions; set aside.
- In a 10” skillet on medium heat, heat OLIVE OIL until shimmering (about 2 minutes).
- Add MUSHROOMS; sauté until slightly tender; stirring as needed (3 min).
- Add white part of SCALLIONS/GREEN ONIONS and GARLIC; sauté until tender and fragrant; stirring as needed (2-3 min).
- Continuing on medium heat, add cooked QUINOA and sauté until thoroughly warmed; stirring as needed (3-5 min).
- Fold in green part of SCALLIONS/GREEN ONIONS; drizzle TAMARI over quinoa and mushrooms, to your taste; serve warm.