Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy is the best remedy for sore throat that provides cooling relief to sore tonsils. It's a blended ice beverage made with ginger, honey, lemon that makes a delicious slushie that soothes sore throat pain and is delicious to drink. Kids love this sore throat remedy, even just as a beverage!
Trying to figure out how to get rid of a sore throat? If you're there right now...aye. I do feel your pain and sorry you’re in it. I'm too familiar with the sore throat that makes it unbearable to swallow, chew, drink, talk, sleep, or even breathe. Even the usual home remedies can make a sore throat hurt worse.
I tried the usual home remedies for sore throat:
~ gargling warm water with a teaspoon of salt
~ throat sprays that numb
~ throat lozenge
~ warm honey lemon water
~ licorice root tea
~ warm soup
~ steam shower
~ stay hydrated
Every single remedy either intensified my pain, or simply didn't phase it.
So, how do you get rid of a sore throat quickly?
Enter the Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy!
After 3 days of pain and trying to figure out how to relieve my sore throat, I took matters into the kitchen.
I busted out my blender, some ice, and a couple anti-inflammatory ingredients that we ALL probably have laying around.
I whipped up this icy beverage that immediately soothed my sore throat pain and brought it to a tolerable level...enough that I could swallow food and become hydrated again.
While the beverage didn't completely get rid of my sore throat, it numbed my tonsils and allowed me to conduct daily activities.
A piece of ice might have done the same, but I'm a firm believer in the anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties of ginger, honey, and lemon.
This is seriously one of the best home remedies for sore throat evrrrrrrr!
Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy Ingredients:
- honey (or maple syrup)
- fresh lemon
- fresh ginger
- filtered water
How do you make slushie drinks for sore throat:
Step 1. Boil ginger in water for a few minutes.
The longer you boil, the stronger the ginger.
Step 2. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and honey, then allow to cool.
Step 3. Add liquid and ice cubes to a high-speed blender (use the large pitcher).
Step 4. Blend, baby blend...until it turns into a slushie.
Then consume with a straw or spoon, and feel the relief.
It's like dumping ice water on hot coals. [Sorry for the detail but it's true!]
* See full recipe below
- high-speed blender (Ninja 1500 Blender with 72 oz pitcher) or Vitamix with 64 oz container)
- knife (to cut lemon and ginger)
- citrus squeezer (or your hands will work)
- smoothie straw (to slurp up the slushie)
How the slushie helps my sore throat
- It allows me to consume ginger, honey, and lemon, three ingredients known for health benefits with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Numbs and soothes my tonsils, bringing my sore throat pain to a tolerable level.
- Relieves the pain of swallowing so I can drink water and rehydrate.
- Allows me to eat. Yes, eat! Thank you very much!
No wonder this slushie works so well!
Figuring out how to soothe a sore throat as severe as mine was that week, was one heck of a find!
Looking for more cold symptom home remedies?
Here’s my recipe for 15-minute Feel Better Pho. It's vegan, and so easy to make!
There's also my Crazy Easy Asian Soup Broth for when you just want a vegetarian broth...and nothing else.
If you like the idea the idea of consuming slushie drinks for cold symptom relief, or simply for hydration, check out my Orange Blast Hydration Slushie! It's a vitamin C bomb of deliciousness!
More than a sore throat remedy!
Kids love the Miracle Slushie sore throat remedy as a slushie, especially during the summer months!
I have tested this slushie recipe on the 8 and 10 year old neighbor kids multiple times.
We were not in search of sore throat remedies, it was simply a warm, summer day and we wanted a chilly, healthy, beverage.
They sucked down the final test slushie and gave it two thumbs wayyy up! [Full recipe listed below].
To me, any time the littles will consume any food or drink that's absent of crazy colors and targeted marketing messages...well, this is a small miracle in itself, amiright?
And my guess is, if they love it even when they don't need sore throat remedies, maybe they'll love it when they really do need it.
Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy
- 2 inch piece Fresh Ginger sliced into thick chunks; no need to peel
- 4 cups Filtered Water
- 1 Lemon juiced with pulp
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 4 cups Ice Cubes
- In a saucepan, combine GINGER and WATER; bring to a rolling boil for a few minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes (longer for a stronger ginger flavor).
- Remove from heat and discard GINGER.
- Stir in LEMON JUICE and HONEY.
- Cool liquid to room temperature and chill until ready to mix into slushie.
- When ready, pour liquid into the pitcher of a high-speed blender, add ICE CUBES in smaller portions; blend or pulse until it becomes a slushie consistency, adding ice cubes as needed.
- Note: The recipe you are seeing is the original "steeped ginger" version published to The Kitchen Girl site in 2015. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via the comments below.
This probably goes without saying, but please allow me to make this disclaimer to avoid any confusion or disappointment on anyone's behalf:
This blogpost recounts my personal experience of finding relief during a severely painful event. This content does not guarantee pain relief, nor is it intended to cure the causes of pain. This content is not intended as medical advice, or a substitute for medical attention. It is for information purposes only.