This Black Bean and Corn Salsa is a simple, ten-minute recipe made with canned black beans, sweet corn, bell peppers, red onion, and avocado. Distinct Mexican flavors come from the added cilantro, jalapeño pepper, and fresh lime juice. Serve with tortilla chips or spoon it over your favorite Mexican entree.
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
One of my favorite Mexican party foods of all time is black bean and corn salsa.
I absolutely love the texture of the beans and fresh produce combined with the distinct Mexican flavors of fresh cilantro, jalapeño, and lime juice.
This fun, Tex-Mex recipe dates back to my earliest beginnings as a deli/bakery manager in a health food store.
My co-manager, Kris, contributed her black bean corn salsa recipe to the deli and I’ll never forget how that stuff flew off the shelves!
It’s light, soooo flavorful, and loaded with nutrition!
I adapted her recipe and added bell peppers, instead of tomatoes, so that I could make it any season outside of tomato season.
Every time I make this salsa, I think of Kris and those glorious college days where I got paid to play with food.
How to make Black Bean and Corn Salsa:
1. drain and rinse the canned black beans
2. thaw corn
3. chop bell peppers, onions, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro
4. zest and juice lime, chop avocado
5. combine all ingredients (except avocado) in a mixing bowl
6. cover and chill until ready to serve, then add avocado…and devour
What I love about Black Bean Salsa:
- easy to assemble and comes together in ten minutes
- canned black beans are convenient to use and loaded with fiber and protein
- naturally vegan and gluten free
- five minute assembly time
- can be made a day or two in advance
- uses everyday ingredients
everyone LOVES it
Black Bean and Corn Salsa Ingredients:
- canned black beans
- frozen sweet corn
- red bell pepper
- red onion
- jalapeño pepper
- fresh lime
- salt and pepper
Tools I use to make this recipe:
If you like this Black Bean and Corn Salsa recipe, you’ll love these other healthy Mexican dishes:
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- 1 15oz can Reduced Sodium Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Corn fresh, frozen, or canned
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1/4 medium Red Onion 1/2 cup diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 1 Lime zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro finely chopped
- Kosher Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Avocado diced
- In a mixing bowl, stir together BEANS, CORN, BELL PEPPER, ONION, JALAPENO PEPPER, LIME JUICE, CILANTRO, SALT, and PEPPER; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, gently fold in diced AVOCADO.
- Serve with tortilla chips or as a topping for nachos, tacos, burritos.