This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
10-minute black bean and corn salsa is loaded with Southwest flavor and texture. Scoop over grilled meats or serve with tortilla chips and watch it disappear at your next gathering.
Why you'll love this recipe
This is the 10-minute appetizer you can pack up and take anywhere! This scrumptious Mexican black bean and corn salsa is easy to make and guaranteed to disappear. Whole black beans and loads of fresh produce combined with flavors of cilantro, jalapeño, and lime make this a party in a bowl, so you better grab the chips!
When making black bean corn salsa, you can simply crack open canned beans to get this recipe going. The rest involves chopping produce. All of the salsa ingredients are common grocery store items, which makes it pretty much always available and budget-friendly. It's a delicious cousin to black eye pea salad.
Lastly, black bean salsa is always a winner as a snack or appetizer with tortilla chips. I also love it scooped over loaded steak nachos and taco bowls, or as a side next to a chunky guacamole or chipotle brown rice. So healthy and delicious!
Get ingredient amounts in the printable recipe card below.
- black beans - Use canned black beans or cook dried beans in an hour with pressure cooked black beans.
- corn - Use fresh, frozen, canned, or cooked whole corn for this recipe.
- red bell pepper or chopped tomato - Bell peppers are perfect when it's not tomato season. They add crunch and color!
- red onions - These are colorful, crunchy, and add the right amount of heat for this salsa. Substitute with green, yellow, or white onions.
- fresh jalapeño peppers - Or Serrano peppers. It's a good idea to test the heat before adding to the salsa.
- fresh cilantro - Always wash and dry before chopping and adding to salsa.
- fresh lime - Use the zest and juice of fresh lime for more lime flavor.
- salt and pepper - to taste
- avocado - Wait to add until ready to serve to prevent browning.
How to make this recipe
1. Place well-drained black beans, corn, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime in a mixing bowl.
2. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
3. Prior to serving, toss ingredients together and add salt and pepper, to taste. Add diced avocado and gently toss to combine. Serve chilled.
- Always drain and rinse the black beans thoroughly, whether they're canned or scratch-cooked, because any excess liquid will coat the other salsa ingredients and make it mushy.
- When using fresh jalapeno peppers or Serrano peppers, always test the spiciness before adding to the salsa. No two peppers are ever the same and you don't want to make the salsa unpleasant for anyone.
- When using tomatoes in black bean salsa, remove excess moisture and seeds from the tomatoes before chopping. This will preserve the texture of the salsa.
- If you don't have a ripe avocado, feel free to leave it out. Black bean and corn salsa holds its own with or without avocado. You can always add more bell pepper or corn to prevent losing volume.
Make ahead instructions
To make black bean and corn salsa ahead, place black beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime in mixing bowl. You can even wait to combine until ready to serve. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days in advance. To serve, add salt and pepper, to taste. Then add diced avocado, tossing gently to combine.
More salsa recipes
Why not serve more than one salsa at your next game day event? These salsa recipes are tested, tasted, and crowd-approved!
Black Bean and Corn Salsa Recipe
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from The Kitchen Girl.
- 1 (15 ounce can) Black Beans drained & rinsed (or 1 ½ cups cooked beans)
- 1 cup Corn fresh, frozen, or canned
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 small Red Onion diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper seeded and diced
- 1 Lime zested and juiced
- ¼ cup Cilantro finely chopped
- Sea Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Avocado diced
- citrus squeezer optional
- In a mixing bowl, stir together BLACK BEANS, CORN, BELL PEPPER, ONION, JALAPENO PEPPER, LIME JUICE, and CILANTRO. Add SALT and PEPPER to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, gently fold in diced AVOCADO.
- Serve chilled. Serving ideas: chips and salsa, nachos, tacos, burritos.
Click stars to vote. Please visit 'Comments' below for reviews.