This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This smoked sausage mac and cheese is a pressure cooked, one pot dinner made with Kielbasa or any smoked sausage. Family loved!
Who can argue the convenience and deliciousness of mac and cheese with sausage made right in your pressure cooker? It's just like Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese with smoked sausage added to it. It makes weeknight cooking not like cooking at all! If you like one-pot Instant Pot entrees, you'll love my pressure cooker chicken alfredo and Instant Pot tuna casserole as much as kielbasa mac and cheese.
Get recipe amounts in the printable recipe below
- ziti pasta - or macaroni noodles
- water - or broth
- salt - sea salt or Kosher salt
- butter - or cooking oil
- kielbasa - or any smoked sausage
- milk - any fat content
- Dijon mustard - could use mustard powder too
- cheddar cheese - preferably not pre-shredded
- parsley - for garnish
How to make this recipe
Get instructions in the printable recipe below
- Add dry pasta, water, sausage, and butter to the Instant Pot.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 2 minutes with 10 minute (NPR) natural pressure release.
- Open the lid, remove Kielbasa, slice it, and return it to the pasta.
- Add milk, Dijon, and cheese. Gently stir the pasta until the cheese melts and sauce becomes creamy. Serve warm
What is Kielbasa?
It’s a pre-cooked Polish sausage that's sold in retail packs at most grocery stores. In this recipe, we simply pressure cook it with the pasta, slice it, and add it back to the mac and cheese. You can use any smoked sausage for this recipe for a different flavor or texture, or due to limited availability.
Why you'll love this recipe
- budget-friendly comfort food in under 30 minutes
- takes mac and cheese to a whole new level
- perfect dinner recipe for busy weeknights
- delicious and satisfying for the whole family
- dump-start recipe with no prep required
- no special cooking skills needed
More 30 minute Instant Pot dinner recipes
Instant Pot Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces Ziti Pasta (or Elbow Macaroni) (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups Water
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 (4 ounce) Kielbasa Links
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter cut into cubes
Mac and Cheese Sauce Ingredients
- ⅓ cup Milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard optional
- 8 ounces Cheddar Cheese shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley optional for garnish
For the pasta and sausage
- Add DRY PASTA, WATER, and SALT to the Instant Pot. Push pasta under the water to submerge it.
- Place KIELBASA sausages on top of the pasta. Scatter BUTTER in the pot.
- Secure the lid; turn pressure valve to "Sealing" and pressure cook on HIGH for 2 minutes followed by a full 10-minute natural pressure release (NPR). *See recipe notes
- Safely turn pressure valve to "venting" position and release any remaining steam. Open the lid, transfer KIELBASA to a plate, slice into ¼" pieces, and add back to the pasta.
For the mac and cheese sauce
- Add MILK, DIJON, and CHEDDAR CHEESE to the pasta, gently stirring until the cheese melts and sauce becomes creamy. * See recipe footnote about adding more cheese
Mac and cheese storage and reheat instructions
- Store mac and cheese in an airtight container up to five days in the refrigerator.To reheat, add a splash of liquid to moisten the macaroni and reheat via stove or microwave, stirring as needed.
Click stars to vote. Please visit 'Comments' below for reviews.
- Thicker pasta (macaroni, penne, rotini, etc) gets 2 minutes + 10 minute NPR.
- Thinner pasta (shell, spaghetti noodles) gets 1 minute + 10 minute NPR.