Instant Pot Beets are a simple, hands-free, way to cook beets as a side dish, meal prep ingredient, or your favorite salad. These delicious pressure cooker beets require no pre-peeling or chopping and are effortlessly cooked to perfection!
Beets, also called beetroot, are a beautiful and nutritious root vegetable with sweet and savory notes. They make a great side dish by themselves, but are also delicious in my Italian Pasta Salad or Buddha Bowl. Their dark red color and earthy flavors that liven up any meal. Beets are very popular for their anti-inflammatory properties. Check out my Apple Ginger Beet Smoothie for a delicious way to enjoy raw beets.
Why we love to cook beets in the Instant Pot
- Easy and quick - This Instant Pot beet recipe is incredibly easy to make. You literally put whole beets (no peeling or cutting) into the pot and add water. Poof! They're done in about 30 minutes!
- Less mess - Cooking beets in the instant pot makes cooking beets a very clean task. If you've made beets before, you know they stain your hands, sink, clothes, and anything else they touch. Cooking beets in the Instant Pot means no prep, so everything stays clean.
- Diet-friendly - this Instant Pot beet recipe is naturally vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, whole30, and paleo.
Pressure cooker beets: 2 ingredients
Just 2 ingredients in this recipe and you are rocking some delicious, tender beets that you can eat as they are or serve with other recipes.
- Beets - this recipe will tell you how to cook beets of any size. Use up your garden beets or a bunch that you find at the market. Beets are always available in the grocery store, and also store really well. Whole fresh beets last a really long time in the fridge.
- Water - We of course need to add water in order for the Instant Pot to function correctly. Water is what will steam up these beets perfectly.
Do you peel beets before pressure cooking?
No, it's not necessary. After beets have cooked in the Instant Pot, rinse them under cold water and gently rub the skins ... they'll slip right off. I honestly don't love peeling small objects during food prep. Red beets are known to stain everything but cooked beet juice washes right off. It's just one more reason we take the skin off after they're pressure cooked.
How to cook beets in the Instant Pot
- Remove any surface dirt. If beets have tops and stems, you can cut them off, but it's really not necessary as they'll fall off once they're cooked.
- Stack beets on a trivet or steamer basket in the Instant Pot. Pour in Water.
- Pressure cook (using the guide in the recipe card below) and allow a natural steam release.
- Test for doneness, rinse under cool water, and watch the skins fall off.
- Allow beets to cool completely and refrigerate either whole or chopped in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
How long to pressure cook different sized beets
Firm beet texture with some crunch
- small beets - 1" to 2" diameter - 10 min cook + 10 min NPR
- medium beets - 2" to 3" diameter - 15 min pressure cook + 10 min NPR
- large beets - 3" diameter - 20 min pressure cook + 10 min NPR
Soft beet texture with no crunch
- small beets - 1" to 2" diameter - 15 min cook + 10 min NPR
- medium beets - 2" to 3" diameter - 25 min pressure cook + 10 min NPR
- large beets - 3" diameter - 30 min pressure cook + 10 min NPR
NPR = natural pressure release = allow the steam to release naturally
How to know when beets are done
Once the steam has released and the Instant Pot lid is open, insert a paring knife into the center of the beet (fully cooked beets will not require force). Then lift the knife. If the beet effortlessly slips off the knife, the beets are done. If more time is needed, pressure cook the beets another 2-5 minutes and allow NPR.
What to do with beet greens
If you purchased beets with bright leafy greens attached, you can cut them off before pressure cooking the beets, but consider saving them. Beet greens are super nutritious and very tasty. Just wash and dry them really well. Then, saute in a bit of olive oil with salt and pepper for a simple side or finely chop and add to fresh to salads.
Can you overcook beets?
Beets are very forgiving, but it is possible to overcook them, especially if you prefer beets to have somewhat firm texture. But, if you're a fan of super soft beets, you probably won't mind overcooking them. The biggest downside ... the longer they cook, the more nutrients they lose.
What to do with cooked beets
Beets are super versatile once they're cooked and ready to be added to your favorite recipes.
- Enjoy Instant Pot beets as a healthy side dish with Broiled Salmon, Baked Chicken Thighs, or Pan Seared Sea Bass.
- Add to a salad like my Italian Vegan Pasta Salad or my Turmeric Chickpea Buddha Bowl.
- Slice beets and use as a topping on my veggie sandwich.
- Make pickled beets.
- Chill the beets and serve with goat cheese and champagne vinaigrette over a bed of arugula YUMM!
More Instant Pot ingredient prep recipes
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant Pot Chickpeas [Garbanzo Beans]
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breast
- Steel Cut Oats [Instant Pot or Stove]
Instant Pot Beets
- 6 Beets (any variety), medium sized, about 3 lbs
- 1 cup Water
- measuring cup
- Wash BEETS and stack on a trivet or steam basket in the Instant Pot. Pour in WATER.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release valve to "Sealing". Select MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on HIGH:Firm beet texture with some crunchsmall beets - 1" to 2" diameter - 10 min cook + 10 min NPRmedium beets - 2" to 3" diameter - 15 min pressure cook + 10 min NPRlarge beets - 3" diameter - 20 min pressure cook + 10 min NPRSofter beet texture with little or no crunchsmall beets - 1" to 2" diameter - 15 min cook + 10 min NPRmedium beets - 2" to 3" diameter - 25 min pressure cook + 10 min NPRlarge beets - 3" diameter - 30 min pressure cook + 10 min NPR
- When cook cycle completes, let the pot sit undisturbed for a 10-15 minute natural pressure release (NPR) until float valve drops. Turn pressure valve to "venting" to release any remaining steam.
- Open the lid and insert a sharp knife into the center of the beet. If there is little to no resistance, the beets are adequately cooked. If more time is needed, pressure cook the beets another 2 minutes and allow NPR.
- Carefully transfer beets out of the pot and rinse under cool water. Gently rub the skins and they'll fall right off. The water prevents the beets from staining your hands too!
- To store cooked beets, allow them to cool completely and refrigerate (whole or chopped) in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Do you peel beets before pressure cooking?No, it's not necessary. After beets have cooked in the Instant Pot, rinse each one under cold water and gently rub the skins ... they'll slip right off.
How to know when beets are doneOnce the steam has released and the Instant Pot lid is open, insert a paring knife into the center of the beet (adequately cooked beets will not require force). Then lift the knife. If the beet effortlessly slips off the knife, the beets are done. If more time is needed, pressure cook the beets another 2-5 minutes and allow NPR.
What to do with cooked beetsBeets are super versatile once cooked and ready to be added to your favorite recipes.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.