This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Artichokes are whole artichokes perfectly steamed in minutes using any pressure cooker. Serve with dipping sauce for a delicious appetizer or snack.
Why you'll love this recipe
The Instant Pot, or any pressure cooker, is a game-changer method to effectively steam and serve whole artichokes in under 30 minutes. There are actually several benefits.
- Easy prep in under 5 minutes.
- The pressure cooker method is much quicker than other methods.
- Enjoy hands-free cooking and no babysitting a stove.
- You get perfectly tender artichokes with minimal effort.
- They're a fun and nutritious appetizer or snack.
- Artichokes accommodate multiple restricted diets.
- Find yourself enjoying artichokes more often. We sure do!
- whole artichokes - Use any size artichokes for this pressure cooker recipe. I've included instructions in the recipe card below.
- water - Use plain water or use broth with added seasonings. I prefer to use plain water and rely on dipping sauce for added flavor.
- lemon - Optional garnish. Adds a bright, citrusy aroma and flavor.
How to cook artichokes in the Instant Pot
Please enjoy these step-by-step photos. You'll find the full printable recipe below.
Step 1. Rinse artichokes and cut stem to about 1 inch in length. Cut up to 1 inch of the artichoke top to create a flat surface. Use kitchen shears to snip the tips of any sharp leaves.
Step 2. Set artichokes on a trivet in the cooker and add WATER. Set the pressure cooker on HIGH according to the following times:
- 4 to 6 minutes for small artichokes (2-inch diameter)
- 8 to 10 minutes for medium artichokes (3-inch diameter)
- 13 to 15 minutes for large artichokes (4-inch diameter)
Allow a 10-minute natural pressure release (NPR), then turn the pressure release value to release any remaining steam. Carefully open the lid.
Step 3. Test artichokes for doneness. Carefully transfer artichokes out of the cooker and rest until cool to the touch. Serve artichokes whole or halved with garlic aioli and lemon wedges. You can also remove the center "choke" before serving, or instruct guests to not eat it because it's inedible.
- buying artichokes - Select artichokes that are fresh and firm with tightly closed leaves. Avoid artichokes with opened or browned leaves.
- equipment - I use my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe. If you use an 8 or 10 quart cooker, add an extra cup of water because it's required for the larger volume pot.
- removing the choke - Since the fuzzy 'choke' center is inedible, some people prefer to remove it before serving. To do this, use a spoon to dig it out of cooked artichokes and discard.
More Instant Pot recipes
Instant Pot Artichokes
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from The Kitchen Girl.
- 4 medium Fresh Artichokes or preferred size and quantity
- 1 cup Water Use 2 cups for 8 quart cooker
- Lemon for garnish
- Rinse ARTICHOKES and cut stem to about 1 inch in length. Cut up to 1 inch of the artichoke tip to create a flat surface. Use kitchen shears to snip the tips of any sharp leaves.
- Place artichokes on a trivet in the Instant Pot and add WATER. Close lid, turn pressure valve to the 'Sealing' position.
- Pressure cook on HIGH using the following times:4 to 6 minutes for small artichokes (2-inch diameter)8 to 10 minutes for medium artichokes (3-inch diameter)13 to 15 minutes for large artichokes (4-inch diameter)
- Once the cook cycle is complete, let the pot sit undisturbed for a 10-minute natural pressure release (NPR).
- Carefully turn pressure release valve to "Venting" to release any remaining steam and open the lid.
- Test artichokes for doneness. A fully cooked artichoke will have a fork-tender stem with leaves that remove easily. If needed, run another 1 or 2-minute pressure cook cycle (with NPR) until artichokes are fully cooked.
- Carefully transfer artichokes out of the cooker and rest them until cool to the touch.
- Cut the artichokes in half or quarters for serving. * See footnote about removing the choke.
- Serve artichokes warm, room temperature, or chilled with your favorite dipping sauce and (optional) LEMON wedges.
Click stars to vote. Please visit 'Comments' below for reviews.
Buying artichokes - Select artichokes that are fresh and firm with tightly closed leaves. Avoid artichokes with opened or browned leaves. Equipment - I use my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe. If you use an 8 or 10 quart cooker, add an extra cup of water because it's required for the larger volume pot.