No one will believe VEGAN Cream of Mushroom Soup…is actually vegan! Not even YOU! It’s sooo creamy and rich, made with fresh mushrooms, almond milk, and (bonus!) gluten-free flour. If you need an easy, homemade cream of mushroom soup for green bean casserole, pasta sauce, or a bowl of comfort, this is your new favorite soup recipe!
You really won’t believe this is vegan cream of mushroom soup
I’ve made variations of homemade cream of mushroom soup for many years.
This vegan cream of mushroom soup has been my go-to secret recipe for many years. And now it’s not a secret anymore!
This recipe is dedicated to my mom, who helped test and finalize the recipe a few years ago.
Btw, just because she’s Momma TKG doesn’t mean I get a pass on my recipes. If something isn’t right, she’ll let me know. So, thanks mom…we nailed this one! And it’s quite a hit!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup RECIPE VIDEO:
Why vegan cream of mushroom soup?
For this post, I wanted you, my beloved reader, to have a dairy-free, gluten free, truly low-sodium, alternative to canned, cream of mushroom soup.
I mean…everyone should have this recipe…even if you’re not vegan!
It’s such a major player in cream of anything soup, baked casseroles, and alfredo sauce pastas.
And…it’s soup season!
It’s also very similar to my Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff, which gets served over pasta noodles. YUM!
What I LOVE about Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup:
- uses unsweetened almond milk in place of heavy cream (or any non-dairy milk)
- NO weird ingredient substitutes
- not thickened with potatoes (nothin against ’em)
- uses chickpea flour instead of all-purpose flour
- budget-friendly because it uses everyday pantry ingredients
- tastes rich, creamy, and savory…with zero guilt
How do you make cream of mushroom soup?
Step 1. Heat OLIVE OIL and sauté MUSHROOMS over medium-high heat, stirring as needed.
Step 2. Add SHALLOT (or onion) and GARLIC, sautéeing a few minutes until fragrant and tender.
Step 3. Stir in CHICKPEA FLOUR and allow to become absorbed by the mushrooms (about 1 minute). This is known as a ‘roux‘.
Step 4. Add DRY SHERRY and stir into mushrooms.
Step 5. Then, add ALMOND MILK to the mushrooms in very small amounts. Whisk vigorously during this process as this helps smooth out the lumps. Continue this process until all of the milk is used.
You can substitute any unflavored non-dairy or dairy milk for this recipe.
Step 6. Bring everything just to a boil, whisking continuously; then turn heat to medium-low and simmer until the mushroom soup thickens to your ideal consistency.
Serve warm, or allow to cool, then refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
* See full recipe below
See full recipe below…and know that it really is that simple!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients:
extra virgin olive oil – Feel free to use your favorite oil of choice. I personally love the rich flavor EVOO brings to the table.
mushrooms – I have always used classic white button mushrooms or baby bellas for this recipe. In my mind, there’s no need to get fancy or expensive mushrooms, but you if wanna, hey knock yourself out!
shallot – These are in the onion family, but are considered milder in flavor and aroma. If you don’t have shallots, my second favorite option is the almighty green onion.
fresh garlic – I highly recommend fresh garlic (for all things) but garlic powder would work fine too.
chickpea flour – also called garbanzo flour is how we roll for this gluten-free mushroom soup recipe. If you’re not gluten restricted, you can use all-purpose flour, you’ll need to cut the amount in half.
dry sherry – Optional ingredient, but highly recommended. I love the flavor and aroma dry sherry brings to this mushroom soup recipe.
unsweetened almond milk – you can use any non-dairy milk for this recipe. My readers have offered testimonials for various types of milk and they all win! You can also do 1/2 milk and 1/2 vegetable broth for a lower calorie option. It won’t be quite as creamy but it will still be delish!
nutmeg – This is optional, of course, but nutmeg is a classic ingredient in any cream of mushroom soup, in my book.
- chef knife
- cutting board
- 3.5 qt skillet or saucepot
- Microplane fine grater (to grate whole nutmeg)
- glass storage jar and plastic lid
Grab these festive holiday recipes
Can’t Believe It’s Vegan Green Bean Casserole is made with my vegan cream of mushroom soup!
Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts is a festive, sweet, and savory holiday side dish.
Fall & Winter Sweet Potato Salad has all the holiday flavors in one dish.
More quick and easy vegan recipes
Check out my 15-minute Kale Chickpea Soup In A Hurry…it’s possibly my quickest cold weather recipe.
Also, my Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup can be on the table in 30 minutes. Crazy easy and delish!!
Here’s my cold symptom reliever soup Feel Better Pho. It’s a quick, Asian-inspired, vegan soup with noodles, veggies, broth and a few toppings.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe Tips
Mushrooms shrink to about 1/4 of their original size when sauteed.
Avoid lumps / clumps:
After you saute the veggies with the chickpea flour, be sure to whisk in only SMALL amounts of the almond milk and repeat until the milk is gone.
This should create a non-lumpy sauce. Trust me, once the lumps happen, they’re impossible to remove.
Regarding the color:
Sometimes I’ll replace 1 cup of the almond milk with veggie broth. When I do, I prefer to use a light-colored broth (not brown) to keep the soup color on the light side.
Also, when browning the garbanzo flour, the longer you do it, the better the flavor (b/c it reduces bitterness), but realize it might make your soup take on a light brown color.
Regarding the consistency:
This really depends on how long you simmer it, which means the longer you simmer, the thicker the soup.
This soup will naturally thicken as it cools, and will naturally thin when reheated.
If the soup ever feels too thick for your liking, stir in small amounts of almond milk, stirring until desired consistency is reached. Repeat as needed.
If it feels too thin, simply heat it over medium heat to reduce the liquid and stir/whisk as needed until it thickens to your liking.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 lb. Mushrooms chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 Tbsp Shallot (or onions) finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Chickpea Flour (or 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour)
- 1 Tbsp Dry Sherry optional
- 2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk or any milk
- Pinch fresh Nutmeg finely grated w/ Microplane
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Saute the vegetables
- In a 3 quart skillet or sauce pot over medium-high flame, heat OLIVE OIL.
- Add MUSHROOMS; sauté and stir until lightly browned. (3-5 min).
- Add SHALLOT and GARLIC; sauté and stir until tender (1-2 min).
Make the roux
- Add CHICKPEA FLOUR; sauté and stir until veggies absorb flour (longer saute = browner color)
Turn it into soup
- Add (optional) DRY SHERRY; sauté and stir until it evaporates (about 1 min).
- Add ALMOND MILK in small amounts, whisking to ensure that flour dissolves and NO clumps appear; then add NUTMEG, SALT, and BLACK PEPPER.
- Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low, and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring as needed (7-10 min).
Serving and storage instructions
- Once the soup has become smooth and creamy, remove from heat; serve warm or allow to cool and refrigerate up to 4 days in an airtight container. Enjoy as a soup, or add to casseroles or pasta.
Tips to make the best vegan cream of mushroom soup:
- Tip #1. If you cook this soup longer than the instructions, you'll thicken the soup that you could use as a concentrate for Green Bean Casserole.Tip #2. To make the soup thinner, simply add ALMOND MILK in 1/4 cup amounts upon reheating to reach desired consistency.Tip #3. To make the soup thicker, simply heat it over medium heat to reduce the liquid and stir/whisk as needed until it thickens to your liking.Tip #4. You can substitute any milk for almond milk, depending on your taste preferences and dietary restriction.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Thai Coconut Soup - 12/01/2019
- Pear Cranberry Apple Crisp - 11/26/2019
- 14 Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes They’ll Love (even if they’re not vegan) - 11/24/2019