No one will believe this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is vegan AND gluten free! Not even YOU! It's so creamy and rich that it regularly gets mistaken for a classic cream of mushroom soup. Enjoy as a bowl of comforting soup or add it to your favorite recipes that use cream of mushroom soup, like my green bean casserole.
If you need an easy cream of mushroom substitute for green bean casserole, pasta, or a sit-down bowl of comfort, say hello to your new favorite mushroom soup recipe! This vegan mushroom soup version is made with fresh mushrooms and a few pantry staples. It's so creamy and rich, you really won't believe it's vegan AND gluten-free!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- olive oil
- chickpea flour (or other preferred flour)
- dry sherry
- unsweetened almond milk
- salt and pepper
This vegan cream of mushroom soup has been my go-to secret recipe for many years. And now it's not a secret anymore! It's a dairy-free, gluten free, truly low-sodium, alternative to canned, cream of mushroom soup.
Vegan cream of mushroom soup...
- can be used in place of canned cream soups
- uses unsweetened almond milk in place of heavy cream (or any non-dairy milk)
- uses everyday ingredients
- isn't thickened with potatoes (nothin against 'em)
- uses chickpea flour instead of all-purpose flour
- is budget-friendly because it uses simple ingredients
- tastes as rick and creamy as a classic cream of mushroom soup
How to make cream of mushroom soup (vegan version)
* See full recipe below
Step 1. Heat OLIVE OIL and sauté MUSHROOMS over medium-high heat, stirring as needed.
Step 2. Add SHALLOT (or onion) and GARLIC, sautéeing a few minutes until fragrant and tender.
Step 3. Stir in CHICKPEA FLOUR and allow to become absorbed by the mushrooms (about 1 minute). This is known as a 'roux'.
Step 4. Add DRY SHERRY and stir into mushrooms.
Step 5. Then, add ALMOND MILK (or preferred milk) to the mushrooms in very small amounts. Whisk vigorously during this process as this helps smooth out the lumps. Continue this process until all of the milk is used.
Step 6. Bring everything just to a boil, whisking continuously; then turn heat to medium-low and simmer until the mushroom soup thickens to your ideal consistency. Serve warm, or allow to cool, then refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Vegan cream of mushrooms soup ingredients:
extra virgin olive oil - Feel free to use your favorite oil of choice. I personally love the rich flavor EVOO brings to the table.
mushrooms - I have always used classic white button mushrooms or baby bellas for this recipe. In my mind, there's no need to get fancy or expensive mushrooms, but you if wanna, hey knock yourself out!
shallot - These are in the onion family, but are considered milder in flavor and aroma. If you don't have shallots, my second favorite option is the almighty green onion.
fresh garlic - I highly recommend fresh garlic (for all things) but garlic powder would work fine too.
chickpea flour - also called garbanzo flour is how we roll for this gluten-free mushroom soup recipe. If you're not gluten restricted, you can use all-purpose flour, you'll need to cut the amount in half.
dry sherry - Optional ingredient, but highly recommended. I love the flavor and aroma dry sherry brings to this mushroom soup recipe.
unsweetened almond milk - you can use any non-dairy milk for this recipe. My readers have offered testimonials for various types of milk and they all win! You can also do 1/2 milk and 1/2 vegetable broth for a lower calorie option. It won't be quite as creamy but it will still be delish!
nutmeg - This is optional, of course, but nutmeg is a classic ingredient in any cream of mushroom soup, in my book.
salt and pepper
- chef knife
- cutting board
- 3.5 qt skillet or saucepot
- Microplane fine grater (to grate whole nutmeg)
- glass storage jar and plastic lid
More vegan holiday recipes
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Pomegranate Cranberry Relish
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Fall & Winter Sweet Potato Salad
More easy vegan soup recipes
- White Bean and Kale Soup
- Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Kale Chickpea Soup In A Hurry
- Southwest Vegan Tortilla Soup
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe Tips
- Color - the longer you brown the flour for a roux, the darker the results will be. To keep this cream of mushroom soup white, don't over-brown the flour.
- Mushrooms shrink to about 1/4 of their original size when sautéed.
- Once veggies are sautéed, avoid lumps or clumps by whisking in small amounts of milk, repeating this process until the milk is used up. This will create a non-lumpy sauce, which you want, because once the lumps happen, they're impossible to remove.
- Lower calorie option - replace 1 cup of almond milk with a light-colored veggie broth.
- Consistency - the longer you simmer, the thicker the soup. So if it's too thin, cook it down, stirring as needed. If the soup is too thick, whisk in small amounts of liquid and continue heating and stirring as needed.
This vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe is dedicated to my mom who helped test and finalize the recipe a few years ago. Btw, just because she's Momma TKG doesn't mean I get a pass on my recipes. If something isn't right, she'll let me know. So, thanks mom...we nailed this one!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/3 lb. Mushrooms chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 Shallot (or 2 Tbsp onion) finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Chickpea Flour (for gluten free version) or 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Dry Sherry or White Wine
- 2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk or preferred milk
- Pinch grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- In a 3-quart skillet or sauce pot over medium-high flame, heat OLIVE OIL.
- Add MUSHROOMS; sauté 3-5 minutes until tender, stirring as needed.
- Add SHALLOT and GARLIC; sauté a few minutes until tender, stirring as needed.
- Sprinkle FLOUR over veggies and sauté until it's absorbed, stirring as needed (about 1 min).
Turn it into vegan mushroom soup
- (optional) Stir in DRY SHERRY and sauté about 1 min, stirring as needed.
- Add MILK in small amounts, whisking to dissolve flour and remove clumps. Add NUTMEG, SALT, and PEPPER.
- Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer until sauce thickens, whisking continuously.FYI: All-purpose flour takes a few minutes longer to thicken than chickpea flour.
Serving and storage instructions
- Once soup thickens to your liking, remove from heat. Serve warm.To store, allow to cool and refrigerate up to 5 days in an airtight container. Enjoy as a mushroom soup or use as a substitute for canned cream of mushroom soup.