Hidden Veggie Spaghetti Sauce is loaded with simple, everyday vegetables hidden in plain sight. This tomato-ey, hearty vegetarian spaghetti sauce is from our easy vegan recipe collection made for stove or Instant Pot...also made for family dinners.
Hidden Veggie Spaghetti Sauce is a delicious, meatless spaghetti sauce with everyday vegetables like mushrooms, carrots, and celery and includes Instant Pot and stove instructions. Sometimes the secret to getting finicky eaters to eat vegetables is all about how you hide the vegetables. This homemade marinara sauce uses a food processor or box grater to mince (not puree) the veggies that are cooked into the sauce. It's full of hearty flavor, plant-based nutrients, and no weird ingredients.
Hidden veggie spaghetti sauce ingredients
- extra virgin olive oil (or any cooking oil)
- canned tomato sauce
- tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- (optional) crushed red pepper flakes
- vegetable broth (or water)
Instant Pot Instructions for Hidden Veggie Spaghetti Sauce
- shred veggies in food processor
- saute with oil in the Instant Pot on "saute" setting
- Stir in remaining ingredients
- Close lid, close pressure valve, and pressure cook for 2 minutes with 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Open pressure valve to release any steam, open lid, stir sauce, and serve over pasta.
Stove Instructions for Hidden Veggie Spaghetti Sauce
- shred veggies in food processor
- sauté the veggies in a sauce pot over medium heat on the stove
- add pantry ingredients and simmer until thickened (10-15 min)
- serve over your favorite pasta
I know, I know. Sounds too simple...but it really is that simple! Once you make this recipe, you'll be a pro and wonder why you haven't been making vegan / vegetarian spaghetti sauce with hidden veggies all these years!
Easy vegan / vegetarian pasta recipes
- Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
- Sesame Kale Noodles
- Thai Peanut Zucchini Noodles
- Veggie Lo Mein Noodles
Hidden Veggie Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or any cooking oil
- 1/4 medium Onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large Carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 rib(s) Celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms, coarsely chopped (1/4 lb.)
- 1 28oz can Tomato Sauce
- 3 oz Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, optional
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Broth, or water
- box grater (if no food processor)
- 3 quart soup pot (if using stove method)
- Place ONION, CARROT, CELERY, GARLIC, and MUSHROOMS in a food processor with the chopping blade in place. Note: you can grate everything by hand with a box grater.
- Pulse the veggies into coarse crumbles (avoid "blending" vegetables into a puree).
Instructions for stove method
- Heat OIL in a 3 quart saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Add chopped veggies and sauté until fragrant (about 3 minutes), stirring as needed.
- Add TOMATO SAUCE, TOMATO PASTE, ITALIAN SEASONING, SALT, BLACK PEPPER, (optional) RED PEPPER FLAKES, and BROTH (or water). Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring as needed.
Instructions for Instant Pot method
- Press the “Sauté” button and add OIL to the pot.
- When the display reads "Hot", add chopped veggies and sauté until fragrant (about 3 minutes), stirring as needed.
- Add TOMATO SAUCE, TOMATO PASTE, ITALIAN SEASONING, SALT, BLACK PEPPER, (optional) RED PEPPER FLAKES, and BROTH (or water). Stir to combine.
- Secure lid, turn pressure valve to "Sealing", and select "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" on HIGH for 2 minutes.
- When cook cycle completes, allow cooker to sit undisturbed for a 10-minute natural pressure release (NPR).
- Once depressurized, flip pressure valve to "Venting" to release any remaining steam. Press "Cancel", open the lid, and stir ingredients.
Serving and storage
- Serve spaghetti sauce over your favorite pasta and (optional) garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- To store, allow sauce to cool and refrigerate up to 5 days or freeze up to 90 days.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.