Savory Sweet Potato Salad is a mouth-watering sweet potato salad with arugula, pomegranate, dried cherries, quinoa, and pepitas in apple cider vinaigrette. It represents every flavor of the palate and makes the perfect holiday dinner side dish.
Sweet potato salad has been a favorite holiday side dish for the past few years and it's a hit! As a kid, we always had candied sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner, and I loved them. But, it's way too sweet for a holiday side dish now that I'm an adult...with a waistline...that I'd like to keep This sweet potato salad...it's lightly sweet, tart, savory, crunchy, and peppery all at once! It's a must-have holiday recipe for the sweet potato lovers out there.
Savory Sweet Potato Salad Ingredients
- sweet potatoes
- raw pepitas
- pomegranate seeds
- dried cherries
- apple cider vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- maple syrup
- salt and pepper
How to make Sweet Potato Salad
- Step 1. Cook the quinoa and allow to cool.
- Step 2. Cook the sweet potato (recipe includes microwave and oven-roasting instructions).
- Step 3. Toast the pumpkin seeds.
- Step 4. Whisk together salad dressing ingredients and refrigerate.
- Step 5. To serve, toss all ingredients together...and devour!
You can prep each ingredient up to a few days in advance, store them separately in the refrigerator, and toss everything together just before your throwdown goes down.
Once this salad is dressed, it needs to be served immediately as the arugula wilts over time.
Sweet potato salad - flavor and texture galore!
When you get a bite of this salad with morsels of each ingredient, you'll get savory from the sweet potatoes and pumpkin seeds and slightly bitter flavor from the arugula, tart from the pomegranate, sweetness from the sweet potatoes and dried cherries, and maple dressing, all perfectly balanced with a touch of salt.
- chef knife and cutting board
- saucepot or Instant Pot (to cook quinoa)
- oven or microwave (to cook sweet potato)
- small bowl and whisk (for salad dressing)
- salad serving bowl
More holiday recipes
- Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Pomegranate Cranberry Relish
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Baked Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Savory Sweet Potato Salad
For the Salad:
- ½ cup dry Quinoa, or 1 cup cooked
- 1 medium Sweet Potato
- ¼ cup Pepitas
- 2 cups Baby Arugula
- ½ cup Pomegranate Arils
- ¼ cup Dried Cherries, lightly chopped
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsp Bragg Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Maple Syrup
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Cook dry QUINOA according to package instructions; allow to cool.
To cook the sweet potatoes
- In the oven:Peel skin, chop into cubes, toss in extra virgin olive oil, and bake at 400° until tender (about 10-14 minutes); allow to cool before adding to the salad.In the microwave:Pierce raw SWEET POTATO several times with a knife; place in the microwave; cook on high until tender (5-8 minutes); allow to cool; remove skin; chop into bite-sized pieces; allow to cool before adding to the salad.
Toast the pepitas
- Place PEPITAS on a baking tray under low-flame broiler in oven or toaster oven; gently toast until fragrant (be careful, they burn easily).
Apple cider vinaigrette
- In a bowl, whisk together APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, OLIVE OIL, MAPLE SYRUP, SALT, and PEPPER; cover and chill up until needed.
- To serve, toss together QUINOA, SWEET POTATO, ARUGULA, PUMPKIN SEEDS, POMEGRANATE ARILS, DRIED CHERRIES, and VINAIGRETTE.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.