A quick and easy Blueberry Crisp recipe with modest portions and perfect for date night. Frozen or fresh blueberries are baked under a crispy oat and almond topping and ready for ice cream, just like my scrumptious peach crisp.
Fruit crisps are “cheater” desserts in my book and this blueberry crisp is no exception. By cheater, I mean...it's the EASIEST dessert evrrrrrr! In about 40 minutes, you have a fresh baked, fruit-filled dessert, without the time or labor required of many baked fruit desserts.
Key Ingredients and substitutions
- blueberries - use fresh or frozen blueberries
- maple syrup - any liquid sweetener will work
- fresh lemon juice - optional, but adds a certain brightness
- arrowroot - or cornstarch
- almond extract - can be substituted with vanilla extract
- old fashioned rolled oats - or use instant oats
- almond flour - or almond meal (or ground walnuts)
- sliced almonds - or preferred nuts
- coconut sugar - or preferred sugar
- coconut oil - or preferred oil
When I make fruit crisp, I love to do two things
1) Use unrefined sugars, and noticeably less sugar than typically called for (unless I’m using a super tart fruit like cranberries).
2) Make the crisp gluten-free and vegan without compromising flavor and texture. It's one of my favorite kitchen challenges actually.
I'm not diet-restricted, but so many of my readers are, so I love sharing secretly healthy recipes that meet those restrictions.
Trust me, your people will be none the wiser to these facts, so we can just keep it between us...and let everyone enjoy their scrumptious dessert.
What's the best topping for a fruit crisp?
When I make fruit crisp, I tend to use the same oat and almond topping as my Pear Apple Cranberry Crisp for any fruit crisp. It's naturally vegan and gluten-free too!
How to make this recipe
Step 1. Make the filling by tossing blueberries with maple syrup, lemon, starch, almond extract, and salt; put it into prepared skillets (or baking dish).
Step 2. Toss together oats, oat flour, almonds, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, and coconut oil (or any oil) and blend it with your hands (to really work the ingredients together).
Step 3. Sprinkle oat topping over the blueberry filling.
Step 4. Bake 30 minutes at 350°, top with a scoop of ice cream, and devour!
How to know when fruit crisp is done
Blueberry crisp bakes in about 30 minutes. You want the filling to bubble and the crisp topping to be lightly browned. Since oven times may vary, you can add more time, if needed.
Can I use fresh or frozen blueberries?
Yes, you certainly can use either fresh or frozen blueberries. I have found NO difference in ingredient requirements or cook times between the two. It comes down to whatever is most convenient and available to you.
More easy dessert recipes
- Chocolate Eclair Refrigerator Cake
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- Triple Berry No Churn Ice Cream
- Bananas Foster
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- Pear Apple Cranberry Crisp [GF + V]
Blueberry Crisp for Two
- 2 cups Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp Arrowroot Powder, or 2 tsp Cornstarch
- ¼ tsp Almond Extract
- pinch Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Rolled Oats
- ¼ cup Almond Flour
- ¼ cup Sliced Almonds
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- stirring utensil
- 2 small skillets or small baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare two 5" cast iron skillets with cooking spray.
Blueberry crisp filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine BLUEBERRIES, MAPLE SYRUP, ARROWROOT POWDER, LEMON JUICE, ALMOND EXTRACT, and SALT. Distribute blueberry filling evenly into both iron skillets.
Blueberry crisp topping
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine OATS, ALMOND FLOUR, ALMONDS, SUGAR, CINNAMON, SALT, and COCONUT OIL.
- Sprinkle oat topping over blueberries in both skillets and bake 30 minutes. Sauce will be bubbling and surface will be browned.
- Carefully remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Serving and storage instructions
- Serve blueberry crisp in the warm skillet topped with your favorite vanilla ice cream.Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 2 days.To reheat, cover blueberry crisp with foil, baked in 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.