This easy Blueberry Crisp recipe is a skillet-baked fruit crisp filled with blueberries, sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar and finished with a crispy, oat topping. It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free, just like my Pear Apple Cranberry Crisp!
Easy Blueberry Crisp [Vegan & Gluten Free]
Fruit crisps are “cheater” desserts in my book and this blueberry crisp is no exception.
By cheater, I mean…it’s the EASIEST dessert evrrrrrr!
In about 40 minutes, you have a fresh baked, fruit-filled dessert, without the time or labor involvement required of many baked fruit desserts.
This blueberry crisp recipe doesn’t even require a knife…doesn’t get any easier than that!
When I make fruit crisp, I always do two things:
1) Use unrefined sugars, and noticeably less sugar than typically called for…unless I’m using a super tart fruit.
2) Make it gluten-free and vegan without compromising flavor and texture. It’s one of my favorite kitchen challenges actually.
I’m not diet-restricted, but so many of my readers are, so I love sharing secretly healthy recipes that meet those restrictions.
Trust me, your people will be none the wiser to these facts, so we can just keep it between us…and let everyone enjoy their scrumptious dessert.
What the best topping for a fruit crisp?
When I make fruit crisp, I make a standard fruit filling, and I pretty much always use my go-to oat crisp topping.
In fact, I pretty much can’t do a crisp topping without nuts. When it comes to baking, blueberries and almonds are made for each other.
Know what else is great about crisps?
Even if you don’t consider yourself a baker, they’re probably the easiest baked item you can make in your home kitchen.
How do you make blueberry crisp?
Step 1. Make the filling by tossing blueberries with maple syrup, lemon, starch, almond extract and salt; put it into prepared skillets (or baking dish).
Step 2. Toss together oats, oat flour, almonds, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, and coconut oil (or any oil) and blend it with your hands (to really work the ingredients together).
Step 3. Sprinkle oat topping over the blueberry filling.
Step 4. Bake and devour!
You’ll find the full recipe below, but that’s the general idea.
How long do you bake blueberry crisp?
This blueberry crisp bakes in about 30 minutes.
You want the filling to bubble and the crisp topping to be lightly browned.
You can add more time, if needed, to reach those outcomes.
Can I use fresh or frozen blueberries in a blueberry crisp?
Yes, you certainly can use either fresh or frozen blueberries.
I have found NO difference in ingredient requirements or cook times between the two.
It comes down to whatever is most convenient and available to you.
Does Blueberry Crisp need to be refrigerated?
Yes. If there are any leftovers (which is doubtful with this delicious number), they should be refrigerated in an airtight container up to two days.
Blueberry Crisp Ingredients (see full recipe below for amounts):
For the filling:
- maple syrup
- lemon juice
- arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- Kosher salt
For the gluten-free topping:
- gluten free rolled oats
- almond meal (or substitute with finely ground oats)
- sliced almonds
- coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- coconut oil (or any oil)
Kitchen tools I use for this recipe:
More gluten-free desserts
Gluten Free Peach Blackberry Crisp [also vegan]
Pear Apple Cranberry Crisp [also vegan]
For the filling:
- Preaheat oven to 350°, oil-spray two 5” cast iron skillets; rinse and drain BLUEBERRIES; place in a medium mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together MAPLE SYRUP, LEMON ZEST and JUICE, ARROWROOT POWDER, and SALT; pour over BLUEBERRIES and gently toss to fully coat; distribute blueberries and liquid evenly into both skilets.
- In another medium mixing bowl, toss together OATS, ALMOND FLOUR, ALMONDS, SUGAR, CINNAMON, and SALT; add COCONUT OIL and, using your hands, work the mixture into a coarse texture that sticks together when pressed.
- Distribute crumbly topping over surface of blueberries; place in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling and surface is lightly browned.
- Carefully remove from oven, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes; serve warm, topped with your favorite vanilla ice cream.
Latest posts by Traci Antonovich (see all)
- Easy Baked Chicken Leg Drumsticks - 11/16/2019
- 20 Thanksgiving Recipes That are Elegant & Easy…Really! - 11/08/2019
- Sausage Stuffing with Apples - 11/05/2019