Quick and easy blueberry crisp made with frozen or fresh blueberries. The scrumptious blueberry filling under crispy oat topping makes blueberry crisp a family favorite!
Why you'll love this recipe
This blueberry crisp recipe is the best way to turn any amount of juicy blueberries into a dreamy, comforting dessert. The 5-minute prep means you can make it on short notice. 30 minutes of hands-off baking gives you a scrumptious, jammy baked blueberry filling under a crispy oat and almond topping. Grab a spoon!
You'll also love knowing that this dessert is vegan and gluten free. I'll let you decide if it meets your definition of a healthy blueberry crisp. Either way, even if you're not vegan or gluten restricted, it's hard to believe a blueberry dessert this decadent is approved for both.
Lastly, there's no refined sugar in this recipe. It's naturally sweetened with the blueberries, maple syrup, and coconut sugar. I did this so you can add your favorite ice cream and still feel balanced lol.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
- blueberries - Use fresh or frozen blueberries in equal amounts.
- maple syrup - Any liquid sweetener can work for this recipe.
- lemon juice - This adds a bright flavor that perfectly compliments the sweetness of the blueberries.
- cornstarch or arrowroot - Either will work (see recipe below for conversion).
- almond extract - This can be substituted with an equal amount of vanilla extract.
- old fashioned rolled oats - If you have to use instant oats, it's perfectly fine.
- almond flour - Same as almond meal or ground almonds (or use ground walnuts instead). If you don't have this, simply substitute oats.
- sliced almonds - Feel free to use any kind of nuts.
- coconut sugar - Any sugar will work.
- coconut oil - Use any preferred oil.
How to make this recipe
Full instructions are in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Make the blueberry filling by tossing blueberries with maple syrup, lemon, cornstarch, almond extract, and salt. Transfer blueberries to prepared baking dish. I divided the blueberries in half and used these 6.5 inch iron skillets.
Step 2. Toss together oats, oat flour, almonds, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, and coconut oil (or any oil) and blend it with your hands to work the ingredients together. Sprinkle oat topping over the blueberry filling.
Step 3. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from oven and allow to cool about 5 minutes. Serve warm and devour! Ice cream is optional but always recommended!
Can I use fresh or frozen blueberries?
Yes, you certainly can use either fresh or frozen blueberries. I have found NO difference in ingredient requirements or cook times between the two. It comes down to whatever is most convenient and available to you.
What's the difference between a crisp, crumble, and cobbler?
Crisp has an oat or streusel topping, so it has a crisp texture, as the name implies. Crumble has a streusel topping with no oats. Cobbler has a biscuit style topping and is usually placed in dollops on the surface of the filling.
More berry dessert recipes
- Peach Crisp
- Pear Apple Cranberry Crisp
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- No Churn Berry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
Easy Blueberry Crisp Recipe
- 2 cups Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch, or 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- ¼ teaspoon Almond Extract, or vanilla extract
- pinch Sea Salt
- ¼ cup Rolled Oats
- ¼ cup Almond Flour
- ¼ cup Sliced Almonds
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
- Preheat oven (or air fryer oven) to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare baking dish by coating with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine BLUEBERRIES, MAPLE SYRUP, CORN STARCH, LEMON JUICE, ALMOND EXTRACT, and SALT.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish or skillet.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine OATS, ALMOND FLOUR, ALMONDS, SUGAR, CINNAMON, SALT, and COCONUT OIL.
- Distribute oat topping mixture over blueberries.
- Bake uncovered 20-30 minutes, or until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown. (Air fryer oven bake time is 15-20 minutes)
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Traci's Recipe Notes
- 2 (5-inch) heat-safe skillets or 8 x 8 baking dish
- Air fryer oven or conventional oven
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.