Creamy Cucumber Salad is a crazy popular, super easy side dish for cookouts and picnics. Tastes like Grandma's old fashioned cucumber salad with fresh cucumbers tossed in an irresistible dill and sour cream dressing.
Old fashioned creamy cucumber salad
- The ingredients are readily available in grocery stores any season of the year.
- Cucumber salad with sour cream is a great way to use fresh summer cucumbers.
- This recipe is quick to make and ready to enjoy in 15 minutes.
- This creamy cucumber and onion salad is a classic old fashioned recipe that is reminiscent of Grandma's handed down recipe.
- Approved for restricted diets like vegetarian, gluten free, and keto/low carb.
- Cucumbers have tons of nutritional value and antioxidants too!
- It's the perfect side to accompany entrees like baked chicken thighs, baked chicken legs, grilled salmon, air fryer whole chicken, broiled salmon, and slow cooker pulled pork.
- cucumbers - Very thinly sliced cucumbers make up the bulk of this salad.
- sea salt - salt not only flavors cucumber salad, but is used as a treatment to remove some of their moisture to prevent the dressing becoming watery.
- sour cream - Sour cream is a classic ingredient in this salad, but plain Greek yogurt can work too. The flavor with yogurt is a bit more tart, but equally delicious.
- garlic - A finely minced garlic clove adds warm, bold flavor to the salad.
- fresh dill - Dill sprigs are a must for old fashioned cucumber salad, however dried dill weed will work in a pinch.
- black pepper - Adds a mild bite to the salad.
- white vinegar - this adds zingy flavor and helps create the perfect sour cream dressing consistency.
- red onion - Thinly sliced onion is a spicy, crunchy addition. I love the color of the red onions against the green cucumbers too!
How to make cucumber salad with sour cream
You'll want to remove moisture from the cucumbers to prevent the sour cream dressing from becoming watery. To do this, layer cucumber slices on paper towels, sprinkle a little salt over them, and rest 15 minutes. Use another paper towel to dab the salted cucumbers dry to remove excess moisture.
Make the sour cream dressing by combining sour cream, garlic, dill, black pepper, and vinegar in a bowl. Add this dressing mixture to the sliced cucumbers and onions. Toss to coat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.
Best cucumbers for this recipe
I love to use English cucumbers (or European Cucumbers) for this recipe because they're seedless and the skin is soft and edible. Other cucumber varieties often have seeds and waxy skin, so I recommending peeling the skin and removing seeds for optimal texture.
How to slice cucumbers
The size of cucumber slices is a key factor to make the texture of this salad amazing. You want the cucumbers sliced thin, but not so thin that they fall apart, so about ⅛ inch to ¼ inch is perfect. You can use a chef knife, a mandoline slicer, or food processor fitted with the slicing blade.
Can I substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream?
Yes! Greek yogurt is an excellent substitute for sour cream in most cold salads and one of my favorite healthy kitchen hacks. Greek yogurt is a healthy swap because it can be any fat percentage you prefer. I personally love the flavor and texture of nonfat Greek yogurt ... much better than non-fat sour cream.
More cucumber recipes
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1 pound Cucumbers, sliced (about 4 cups)
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ cup Sour Cream, or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Dill, or 1 tsp dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- ½ small Red Onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
Remove excess moisture from the cucumbers
- Line a baking sheet or wide bowl with 1-2 paper towels.
- Scatter CUCUMBER slices on paper towel in a single layer and lightly sprinkle SEA SALT over the surface. Repeat this with a second layer.
- Allow cucumbers to rest 15 minutes (this brings moisture to the surface). Use a towel to pat the resting cucumbers dry, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
Make the creamy cucumber salad
- For the dressing: In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together SOUR CREAM, GARLIC, DILL, BLACK PEPPER, and WHITE VINEGAR.
- For the salad: Add RED ONIONS and DRESSING to the sliced cucumbers and toss until well-combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- chef's knife or mandoline slicer
- paper towels
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.