Simple chocolate pancakes are the delicious cocoa version of a classic breakfast recipe. The easy chocolate pancake mix can be made ahead and turns out fluffy, lightly sweet pancakes for your special occasion brunch or breakfast.
Why we love this chocolate pancake recipe
- made with pantry ingredients - You probably already have the ingredients for this recipe in your cupboards and fridge. Cocoa pancakes uses easy to find ingredients to create a delicious end product.
- easy and elegant - This breakfast or brunch recipe is simple, but just enough out of the ordinary to be impressive.
- fun and festive - Pancakes are fun to make and even more fun to eat!
- Uhmmm chocolate - adding a touch of chocolate to a classic pancake breakfast just says "I love you" even more!
Chocolate pancake recipe key ingredients
Visit recipe card below for printable amounts and instructions
- all purpose flour - A classic ingredient for fluffy pancakes. You can substitute whole wheat flour any/all of the AP flour and adjust liquid, if needed.
- cocoa powder - This gives chocolate pancakes their decadent chocolatey flavor.
- baking powder - Fluffy, lightly textured pancakes use baking powder for it's ability to create air bubbles in the batter.
- sugar- Sweetness is always encouraged in my pancake recipes.
- salt - Adding salt to sweet recipes balances the flavor.
- egg - An egg binds everything together and also aids in browning and rise.
- milk - Thins out the batter to give it the perfect consistency for pancakes.
- butter or oil - Fry your pancakes in either, it's up to you!
More BREAKFAST RECIPES from Kitchen Girl
How to make chocolate pancakes
The batter for cocoa powder pancakes comes together in just one bowl, creating minimal dishes and cleanup.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add eggs and milk. Whisk together until wet and dry ingredients are well combined.
- Preheat griddle with oil or butter and cook pancakes as directed in the recipe card below.
You'll know that your pancakes are ready when they are browned on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
Tips and tricks for the best pancakes
Chocolate pancake mix are a simple recipe to make, but don't worry if you've never tried to make pancakes before. I have some tips to help.
- Make chocolate pancake mix a day ahead by whisking together the dry and wet ingredients and refrigerating in an airtight container until ready to use.
- The perfect amount of pancake batter per pancake is 1/4 cup. Less than that will make tiny, "silver dollar" pancakes, and more than that will result in big, flapjack style pancakes that can be hard to manage. For simplicity, use a measuring cup to ensure that all of your pancakes are the same size.
- Cook pancakes on the stove over medium heat. If you find that your pancakes are cooking too fast, turn it down a little. A bit of trial and error with your first pancakes is normal.
How to know when to flip pancakes
Pancakes are ready to flip over about 2-3 minutes after you start cooking them. You should see that the edges of the pancakes are firming up, and there are air bubbles on the top of the pancakes that are starting to pop. Flip pancakes carefully with a flexible spatula, and then cook for another couple of minutes until done.
More BREAKFAST RECIPES from Kitchen Girl
How to serve chocolate pancakes
These cocoa powder pancakes are delicious all on their own, but I think we all know that the best part of enjoying a stack of pancakes is adding toppings. Try these pancake toppings that will make your chocolate pancakes even more delicious. Any combination of the below items will make this breakfast recipe into a masterpiece, without much effort at all.
- maple syrup or chocolate syrup
- fresh berries
- whipped cream
- peanut butter
- mini chocolate chips - add to the pancake batter for more chocolatey flavor
More breakfast and brunch recipes
Be sure to check out my 40+ Easy and Elegant Brunch Recipes for your special occasion!
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- Butter or Oil, as needed for cooking
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- silicone spatula or bowl scraper
- griddle or nonstick skillet
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the FLOUR, COCOA POWDER, BAKING POWDER, SUGAR, and SALT.
- Add EGGS and MILK. Whisk until wet and dry ingredients are well combined.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat.
- Melt BUTTER on preheated griddle.
- Pour pancake batter in 1/4 cup increments onto the griddle (or larger, if you prefer).
- Cook 2-3 minutes on first side, or until bubbles appear on top.
- Flip pancakes and cook 1-2 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Transfer pancakes to a serving platter and cover until ready to serve.
Recipe Notes from TKG
- Top pancakes with butter, syrup, berries, whipped cream, or anything else you like.
- Flip pancakes when edges are firm and bubbles appear on top.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.