Tuscan Chicken Pasta is a scrumptious pasta with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach in a creamy vodka sauce. This easy chicken pasta recipe is great for busy weeknights or date night.
This one-pot chicken pasta is so delicious, it will literally make you feel like you ordered take-out from your favorite Italian restaurant! It's also the perfect date-night meal with its lustrous vodka sauce and distinct Italian flavor. If you don’t have vodka...guess what? I bet your neighbor does.
One Pot Tuscan Chicken Pasta Ingredients
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- olive oil - or any cooking oil
- oil-packed sun dried tomatoes
- garlic - fresh garlic cloves recommended
- vodka - optional, but recommended
- chicken broth - I always use reduced-sodium broth
- heavy cream - or half and half or milk
- uncooked penne pasta - or preferred pasta
- Italian seasoning
- crushed red pepper flakes
- baby spinach or kale
- Parmesan cheese
What I love about this chicken pasta
- We use oil-packed sun dried tomatoes. You could use fresh tomatoes, but trust me, that sun dried tomato oil embeds SO much flavor into this dish...just get ready!!
- We added lean chicken breast to this dish, but you can use boneless chicken thighs for this recipe.
- Fresh spinach adds so much color, texture, and nutrients. Kale works too!
- We're using one pot to make this dish. One pot pasta = less dishes
Can you get drunk from vodka sauce?
The (optional) vodka in this recipe is not meant to get you sauced or even tipsy. The alcohol burns off during the cooking process and creates layers of gorgeous flavor.
Pro tip for juicy chicken breast
Use the flat side of a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breast to 1/2" thickness. Then if time allows, let the chicken breast to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. These steps prevent overcooking the chicken breast and create juicy, tender results.
How to make Tuscan Chicken Pasta
Step 1: Pound chicken breast flat, season both sides, and saute in a skillet or sauce pot. Transfer to a cutting board, rest 5 minutes, and slice.
Step 2: Saute onion, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes. Add broth, pasta, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until pasta is cooked through.
Step 3: Add heavy cream, spinach, and chicken to the pasta. Allow to heat through and serve warm.
The best tomatoes for Tuscan Chicken Pasta
You can use fresh tomatoes for this recipe, but Olive Oil Packed Sun Dried Tomatoes add so much depth of flavor. The olive oil itself is like liquid gold for cooking because it's infused with sun dried tomato flavor. It truly makes this recipe heavenly.
More one pot pasta recipes
- Taco Pasta for Instant Pot or Stove
- Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Alfredo for Instant Pot
- Ham and Peas Alfredo Pasta
Quick and easy dinner recipes
- Baked Feta Pasta [TikTok Viral Pasta]
- 15-minute Broiled Salmon
- Tortilla Pizza for Stove or Oven
- Skillet Tuna Pasta
One Pot Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- 1 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, about 3/4 lb.
- pinch Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, or preferred cooking oil
- 1/4 cup Oil-Packed Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 1/2 medium Onion, sliced or diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Vodka, or Dry Sherry
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream, or preferred dairy liquid
- 1/2 lb. Uncooked Penne Pasta, same as 2 cups
- 1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
Saute the chicken breast
- Use flat side of a meat tenderizer to flatten CHICKEN BREAST to 1/2” thickness and season with SALT and PEPPER.
- Heat OLIVE OIL in an 11” skillet or 3.5 quart pot on medium-high heat.
- Sauté the CHICKEN BREAST on both sides (about 3 minutes each side) until cooked through.
- Transfer to a cutting board, cover and rest 5 minutes. Slice chicken into 1/2” thick pieces and set aside.
Make the pasta
- Using the same skillet / pot on medium-high heat, sauté ONION, GARLIC, and SUN-DRIED TOMATOES (with their oil) until onion is tender. Add a splash of OLIVE OIL, if needed.
- Pour VODKA over the vegetables and scrape the pan to release any browned bits to deglaze.
- Stir in CHICKEN BROTH, PENNE, ITALIAN SEASONING, and CRUSHED RED PEPPER.
- Adjust heat to HIGH and bring everything just to a boil, stirring as needed.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until pasta is cooked through (about 15 min).
- Add HEAVY CREAM, SPINACH, and COOKED CHICKEN to the pasta and continue heating until warmed through, stirring as needed.
- Stir in PARMESAN CHEESE and serve warm.
- To store, allow chicken pasta to cool completely and refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
- When reheating, add a splash of chicken broth or heavy cream to adjust consistency.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.