Chicken Banh Mi Sandwich Sliders are the mini version of the classic Vietnamese sandwich. These serious game day menu contenders are made with shredded chicken and quick pickled veggies, piled high with classic Banh Mi toppings.
What is banh mi?
Banh mi is a classic Vietnamese sandwich made with meat or plant-based protein, fresh and pickled vegetables, mayo, sriracha, and jalapeno. This gorgeous, vibrant, sandwich packs in the flavors of sweet, salty, spicy, sour, and savory, hitting ALL corners of the palate. Surprise your party guests with banh mi sliders!
More ASIAN RECIPES from Kitchen Girl
What goes in a Chicken Banh Mi Sandwich?
- bread (Bao, French baguette, or slider roll)
- seasoned meat or plant-based protein
- pickled carrots and daikon
- sliced cucumber
- fresh cilantro
- fresh jalapeño slices
What bread is used in banh mi?
A crusty, French baguette or soft Bao buns are typical to a classic Vietnamese banh mi. For this slider recipe, we're using slider rolls for function AND fashion! They're soft and pillowy, and easier to acquire than Bao Asian steamed buns.
What is in banh mi marinade?
My chicken banh mi sandwich marinade is simple. Whisk together the following ingredients and marinate the chicken breast 30 minutes up to 8 hours before cooking.
- fresh garlic
- fresh lime
- fish sauce
- soy sauce
What kind of meat is in banh mi?
Typically, chicken and pork are used. They can be grilled, or sauteed. If you want a vegetarian or vegan version, fried tofu is downright delicious in this sandwich also.
More GAME DAY RECIPES from Kitchen Girl
What are the pickled vegetables on a banh mi sandwich?
Quick Pickled Carrots And Daikon (also called do chua) are a classic ingredient topping on any banh mi sandwich. Shredded carrots and daikon radish are briefly cooked in vinegar brine, cooled, and chilled until they're piled on the sandwich. They’re best having soaked in the brine a few days, which deepens that sour, pickled flavor.
How to make Banh Mi
* see recipe card below for FULL PRINTABLE recipe
- Prep the meat by placing it in the quick marinade for 30 minutes.
- While the meat marinates, make quick pickled vegetables (it's super quick and easy). I prefer to pickle the vegetables days, or even a few weeks, in advance.
- Cook the meat (grill or saute method). Allow it to cool slightly, then cut into thin slices.
- Assemble the sliders - spread mayo on slider rolls, distribute meat and vegetables evenly, top with fresh cilantro, pickled vegetables, sliced jalapeno, and sriracha.
The ingredient prep can and should be done somewhat in advance, but it’s not too involved, actually. It's a collection of some simple steps that yield HUGE flavor!
- mixing bowl and whisk (for chicken marinade)
- glass storage container (to marinate chicken)
- outdoor or indoor grill and tongs (if grilling chicken)
- 10" skillet (if sauteeing chicken)
- mandoline slicer (to slice cucumbers)
More GAME DAY RECIPES from Kitchen Girl
More party food recipes
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders
- Southwest Baked Chicken Wings with Avocado Ranch
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Totchos Tater Tot Nachos
- Garlicky Oven Roasted Mushrooms
- Black Bean Corn Avocado Salsa
Chicken Bánh Mì Sandwich Sliders
For the chicken marinade
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Lime zested and juiced
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 lb Chicken Breast patted dry with paper towel
For the sandwich
- 9-12 Slider Rolls or crispy French rolls
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise or as needed
- 2 cups Pickled Carrots and Daikon
- 1/2 large English Cucumber thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro loosely packed
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha sauce or as needed
For the marinade
- Prepare marinade by whisking together GARLIC, FISH SAUCE, LIME JUICE, SUGAR, and SOY SAUCE; pour over CHICKEN BREAST; cover and allow to marinate 30 minutes minimum, up to 8 hours.NOTE: While the meat is marinating, you can make the quick pickled veggies if you don't already have them made.
How to grill chicken breast
- Preheat the grill to medium. Clean the grill surface and brush with oil.Place chicken breasts in the center of the hot grill, close the lid, and set a timer for 3-5 minutes, or until chicken easily releases from the grill and shows well-defined grill marks.Next, turn the outside grill burners to MEDIUM and center grill burner to OFF. This is known as MOM = medium-off-medium, which creates indirect heat under the chicken and allows it to bake like it's in an oven.Open the grill lid and flip chicken breasts over, keeping them in the center of the grill. Then cllose the grill lid and continue cooking until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°.NOTE: Because grill performance varies, cooking times will also vary, so you'll need to monitor the temperature with a meat thermometer and use that as your guide.
How to cook chicken breast on the stove
- Preheat a 10" skillet on medium-high with a neutral flavored oil (such as AVOCADO OIL or CANOLA OIL).Place chicken breasts into hot skillet and allow to cook on one side until they release from the skillet surface.Turn them over and continue cooking until they reach an internal temperature of 165°.
Once chicken breasts are done
- Remove chicken breasts from heat and place a foil tent over them.Allow them to rest a few minutes (this helps keep the juices intact).Slice into thin strips to prep them for the banh mi sandwiches.
Assemble the banh mi sandwiches
- To assemble sandwich sliders, spread mayo on both sides of slider rolls; then distribute each prepped ingredient over bottom halves in order starting with CHICKEN, PICKLED VEGETABLES, CUCUMBER, CILANTRO, and JALAPEÑOS; drizzle Sriracha if desired; serve warm.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.