Shaved Brussels sprout salad is a nutritious party in a bowl! Kale, pomegranate, apples, cranberries, and sunflower seeds are tossed in apple cider vinaigrette, making this Brussel sprout salad sweet, savory, and texture galore!
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
How do you get people to eat Brussels sprouts and love them? Shave the Brussels sprouts thin and add ingredients, like kale, apples, pomegranate, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds. Then toss everything in a tangy Apple Cider Vinaigrette.
This Brussel sprout salad is sweet, savory, light, and airy…the perfect, healthy dish for holiday feasts. It’s also called Brussel sprout slaw.
Brussel sprout salad recipe ingredients
* get recipe amounts below
- Brussels sprouts
- Dino kale
- dried cranberries
- red onion
- sunflower seeds (or any nuts or seeds)
- sliced apple
- Apple cider vinaigrette
How to make shaved Brussels sprout salad
* See full recipe below
- Step 1. Make the apple cider vinaigrette and chill it.
- Step 2. Trim the stems off the Brussels sprouts and run them through the food processor using the ‘slicing’ disk.
- Step 3. Slice the apples and soak them in lemon water. Then dice the onion.
- Step 4. In a large mixing bowl, de-stem the kale and tear into bite-sized pieces. Add shaved Brussels sprouts, cranberries, onion, pomegranate, and sunflower seeds.
- Step 5. When ready to serve, add vinaigrette and toss everything combine. Then add apple slices and gently toss again. Serve chilled.
What’s the best apple cider vinegar?
I love using Bragg Raw Apple Cider Vinegar in the vinaigrette for this Brussels sprout salad!
It’s a high quality, raw vinegar with a lively flavor that never quits. In fact, my apple cider vinaigrette tastes better after hanging out in the fridge for a day or two.
Recommended kitchen tools
- chef knife
- cutting board
- salad spinner (to wash leafy produce)
- Food processor or a Mandolin (for shredding/slicing)
- mixing bowls
- 8oz narrow-mouth canning jar (for salad dressing)
Want more healthy holiday recipes?
Even if you’re not vegan, check out my I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan! Green Bean Casserole. It’s creamy, dreamy, and sooo delicious!
Herb Roasted Turkey Breast is what you make when you DON’T want to cook a whole turkey, and still get tender juicy results.
Sausage Stuffing with Apples is a holiday side we make every year! It’s scrumptious and has so much flavor and texture!
Cranberry Pomegranate Relish is so addictive when it’s sitting on top of a warmed, brie wheel or cream cheese as a pre-dinner snack.
Sweet and Savory Sweet Potato Salad is perfect to serve with any holiday meal.
Butternut Squash Baked Mac and Cheese is a scrumptious, comfort food side dish.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
For the dressing
- 2 Tbsp Bragg Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Brussels sprouts salad
- 1 lb. Whole Brussels Sprouts washed and air dried, ends cut off
- 4-6 pieces Dino Kale washed, air dried, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 Red Onion diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds or any nuts or seeds
- 1 Honeycrisp Apple thinly sliced
- 1 cup Pomegranate Seeds
For the Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- In a 16oz jar, combine VINEGAR, MAPLE SYRUP, DIJON, SALT, PEPPER, and OLIVE OIL.Use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients into a creamy dressing. If you don't have a blender, you can put a lid on the jar and shake vigorously, or whisk the ingredients with a fork until well-combined.
For the Brussel Sprout Salad
- Trim the stems off the Brussels sprouts and run them through the food processor using the 'slicing' disk to shave them into thin slices. Set aside.In a large mixing bowl, de-stem the kale and tear into bite-sized pieces. Add shaved Brussels sprouts, cranberries, onion, pomegranate, sunflower seeds, and vinaigrette. Toss to combine, then add apple slices and gently toss again. Transfer salad to a serving bowl.
- Make this salad a few days in advance, but don’t dress it until ready to serve. This helps maintain optimal texture and color.
- To prevent apples from browning, soak them in 1 cup of water with 2 Tbsp lemon juice until needed.