Shaved Brussels sprout salad is a nutritious party in a bowl! Kale, pomegranate, apples, cranberries, and sunflower seeds are tossed in apple cider vinaigrette, making this Brussel sprout salad sweet, savory, and texture galore!
Shaved brussel sprout slaw is how you get people to eat Brussels sprouts ... and love them! Simply shave Brussels sprouts thin and add ingredients, like kale, apples, pomegranate, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds. Then toss everything in a tangy Apple Cider Vinaigrette. This Brussel sprout salad is sweet, savory, light, and airy...the perfect, healthy dish for weeknight dinners and holiday feasts. It's also called Brussel sprout slaw.
Brussel sprout salad recipe ingredients
- Brussels sprouts
- kale (any variety)
- dried cranberries
- red onion
- sunflower seeds (or any nuts or seeds)
- sliced apple
- apple cider vinaigrette
How to make shaved Brussels sprout salad
- Make the apple cider vinaigrette and chill it.
- Trim the stems off the Brussels sprouts and run them through the food processor using the 'slicing' disk.
- Slice the apples and soak them in lemon water. Then dice the onion.
- In a large mixing bowl, de-stem the kale and tear into bite-sized pieces. Add shaved Brussels sprouts, cranberries, onion, pomegranate, and sunflower seeds.
- When ready to serve, add vinaigrette and toss everything combine. Then add apple slices and gently toss again. Serve chilled.
Best apple cider vinegar for Brussel sprout slaw
I love using Bragg Raw Apple Cider Vinegar in the vinaigrette for this Brussels sprout salad! It's a high quality, raw vinegar with a lively flavor that never quits. In fact, my apple cider vinaigrette tastes better after hanging out in the fridge for a day or two.
Recommended kitchen tools
- chef knife
- cutting board
- salad spinner (to wash leafy produce)
- Food processor or a Mandolin (for shredding/slicing)
- mixing bowls
- 8oz narrow-mouth canning jar (for salad dressing)
What to serve with Brussels sprout salad
- Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
- Broiled Salmon
- Simple Baked Chicken Leg Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Cranberry Pomegranate Relish
- Sweet and Savory Sweet Potato Salad
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
For the dressing
- 2 Tbsp Bragg Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Brussels sprouts salad
- 1 lb. Whole Brussels Sprouts, rinsed, ends cut off
- 4-6 pieces Dino Kale, washed, dried, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 Red Onion, diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds, or any nuts or seeds
- 1 Honey Crisp Apple, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- large mixing bowl
- Make the vinaigrette by blending together VINEGAR, MAPLE SYRUP, DIJON, SALT, PEPPER, and OLIVE OIL. Cover and refrigerate until ready to dress salad.
- Run the BRUSSELS SPROUTS through a food processor using the slicing disk. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- To the sprouts, add KALE, CRANBERRIES, ONION, POMEGRANATE, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, and APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE. Toss to combine, then add APPLE SLICES and gently toss again. Serve chilled.
Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe tips
- You can make components of this a day or two in advance, but don't combine and dress it until just before serving. This helps maintain optimal texture and color.
- To prevent apples from browning, soak them in 1 cup of water with 2 Tbsp lemon juice until needed.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.