Shaved Brussels sprout salad combines shredded Brussels sprouts, kale, apples, pomegranate, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds in creamy, apple cider vinaigrette. Serve with family dinner and holiday meals.
This utterly scrumptious, shaved Brussels sprout salad is how you fall in love with raw Brussels sprouts. When you combine finely shredded Brussels sprouts with kale, apples, dried cranberries, and pomegranate, tossed in tangy apple cider vinaigrette, it's texture and flavor galore! This sweet, savory, crispy, crunchy salad belongs with rotisserie chicken dinner or even the holiday roast turkey dinner.
If you love mouthwatering salads, strawberry salad and Lemony kale salad are also made with leafy greens and healthy ingredients. During winter, fix a citrus salad to quench your thirst for all the vitamin C.
Too many Brussels sprouts? Never! But if you have a lot, make air fryer Brussels sprouts and watch them disappear!
Ingredient amounts listed in recipe card below.
- raw brussel sprouts - Use fresh, shaved brussel sprouts for this salad. There's no need to cook them because they're finely shredded and easy to eat.
- kale - Any kale variety will work and I especially love the color and texture of dinosaur aka lacinato kale for this salad.
- dried cranberries - These add so much texture and a touch of sweetness to round out the flavor.
- red onion - Any onion variety will work! I love red or green onion for this salad.
- pomegranate arils - These jewels add a pop of color and flavor to any salad!
- sunflower seeds - Feel free to use almonds, walnuts, or pepitas.
- apple - This adds texture, nutrients, and so much flavor to kale salad.
- apple cider vinegar dressing - This adds the right amount of sweet and tart flavors.
How to shave Brussel sprouts (3 Methods)
- Shred with a food processor with the slicing disk attachment. Certain models will allow you to adjust the width of the blade for thicker or thinner shaved Brussels sprouts.
- Use a mandoline slicer. I always recommend a cut resistant glove when pushing Brussels sprouts over the very sharp, singular blade attached to the mandoline slicer.
- A very sharp chef's knife will work wonders, but it takes more time and effort. You can shred the sprouts any thickness you like, but I find them to be better then thinner they are. My favorite knife for this job is this Japanese chef knife.
How to make this salad
Full instructions are included in the printable recipe below.
Step 1: Make the apple cider vinegar dressing. Set aside.
Step 2: Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts and shred using your preferred method. I love how fast my food processor does the job.
Step 3: Slice the apples. I like to dip the apples in lemon water to prevent browning. Set aside.
Step 4: Just before serving, combine all ingredients and toss in the dressing until well-combined.
Step 5: To serve, add apple slices and gently toss again. Serve chilled.
Best dressing for Brussel sprout salad
I recommend Raw Apple Cider Vinegar dressing for this Brussels sprout salad! The high quality, raw vinegar gives it a lively flavor that only tastes better after hanging out in the fridge for a day or two.
Easy vegetable side dishes
- Vegetable Quinoa Salad
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Bacon Broccoli Salad
- Savory Sweet Potato Salad
What to serve with this salad
- Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Broiled Salmon
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
During holiday season, shaved Brussels sprout salad is one of my favorite vegan Thanksgiving recipes because it's so versatile. Even non vegans love it! We make it every year for Thanksgiving dinner and it always disappears.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Kale and Apples
For the vinaigrette
For the salad
- 1 pound Raw Brussels Sprouts, rinsed, ends cut off
- 4-6 leaves Dino Kale, washed, dried, chopped
- ¼ cup Dried Cranberries
- ¼ cup Red Onion, diced
- ¼ cup Sunflower Seeds, or any nuts or seeds
- 1 medium Apple (any variety), thinly sliced
- 1 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- To make the vinaigrette, blend VINEGAR, MAPLE SYRUP, DIJON, SALT, and PEPPER. Drizzle in OLIVE OIL until vinaigrette becomes creamy and emulsified. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- To make the salad, shred BRUSSEL SPROUTS using your preferred method. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- When ready to serve, combine BRUSSELS SPROUTS, KALE, CRANBERRIES, ONION, POMEGRANATE, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, and APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE. Toss to thoroughly coat.
- Add APPLE SLICES and gently toss again. Serve chilled.
- Store dressed salad in an airtight container up to 2 days.
Traci's Recipe Notes
- This salad can be made ahead up to two days. You'll want to store each component separately to maintain optimal texture and color and toss right before serving.
- To prevent sliced apples from browning, dip them in 1 cup of water with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice before storing or using in the salad.
Nutrition data provided as courtesy estimates using unbranded ingredients from a nutrition database. Please consult preferred resource for precise data.